Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wimpey Seahorse  (Read 10491 times)

Garabaldy

Wimpey Seahorse
« on: August 23, 2008, 12:43:28 am »

Hi all,  heres some progess ofr my build.

A little info, this is my first build. Well i build a boat from cerial box's when i was 14 but this is my first propper build.  I have had it sailing once but she took on alot of water as there was a hole between the deck and the bulkworks but thats fixed now.  Shes overpowered with the torpedo 800 but its easy enough to throttle back.  I have made the rudders and korts oversized for extra power/manouverability.  Shes extremely manoverable even without the bowthruster, can spin on her own axis as motors are independently controlled via action p94.  The radio tray contains all electronic equip ment at the moment and is easy to whip in and out after undoing a few battery connections.

Im really happy with the build so far and have really enjoyed it but after seeing her on the water i have decided the next project is going to be much bigger.

Id love to hear your comments on my boat.

tugs46

Re: Wimpey Seahorse
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 02:24:00 am »

She looks realy fine so far O0
Overpowering is not a bad thing at all!
Much better than the other way around.
Also, as long as you're having fun, just do it ;)

Cheers

bigford

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 05:20:53 am »

nice looking ship! who's the manufactuer?? and what scale??

Garabaldy

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 08:49:31 am »

shes 1:65 scale - 41" long.  I bought the hull from models by design who have now taken over metcalf mouldings.

bigford

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 04:08:35 am »

are the decks and super structor just blueprints and you scratch build  it all??

TugCowboy

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 11:01:36 am »

Lovely!
Just the kind of thing I like! Keep us updated please!

Alex

Garabaldy

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 12:55:35 pm »

yep i scratch built most of it apart from the hull, korts & props etc.....  The decks and superstructure are just measured straight from the plans which came with the hull.  Im actually at a bit of a stand  still with the build at the moment untill i can get some paint which is hugely frustrating so ive turned to researching the next build for the next week or so

Garabaldy

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 01:05:59 am »

Ive been painting.  The green isn't as glossy as it looks.  Im itching to get sailing now!

She looks much happier with some paint ;D

TugCowboy

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 02:21:14 pm »

Looks really good with the green, nice job!

What colour is the deck going to be with the hull being Green? I've seen some with a non-slip yellow paint which might look good? not bright yellow but a more dull mustard, something along those lines perhaps?

Alex

Garabaldy

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 03:04:04 pm »

the colour of the deck has been haunting me a bit.  Some of the decks are mid grey like the bridge roof deck etc but the main decks are specified to be signal green on the plan.  When i looked up signal green it looked a bit bright for my liking so i have went with a snotty green.  Its called highland green in halfords. Its very SNOTTY coloured haha

TugCowboy

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 06:02:39 pm »

ha ha! well I would love to see some pictures of it out in the sun whenever you get her out there!

Alex

Garabaldy

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 08:21:11 pm »

i should be out in the shed doing some more painting on the boat but due to over doing it on saturday night im staying right here on the couch feeling extremely sorry for myself.

After changing my mind back and forth several times i have decided i am going to add working fire monitors. I need to get the monitors ordered up and figure out the best place to fit the pump.  I was considering fitting it between the motors but i think it looks a little tight and im not keen on having flexi tubing or wireing getting too near the rotating couplings.  Is a graupner 12v pump, im guessing there isnt a problem with mounting these horizontaly as if this is the case it may be my best option.  Im beginning to think i should have painted the superstructure as i went a long instead of building it to a complete stage and then painting as its going to be really difficult to get into some of the tight spaces.  This being my first build though, its a mistake i am happy enough to live with.  Allthough the photos don't show it, one of the korts is slightly skewed and when under power the boat does vere off to one side.  I suppose i could correct this with some rudder adjustment.  These are just some of the small(ish) mistakes i have made but we live and learn don't we?  The build has been hours of fun and has kept me away from the couch for many many hours but has forced me to endure too much tim westwood on radio one haha. 

Now its back to sitting on the couch feeling very ill.

Gary

Garabaldy

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 10:49:57 pm »

Got over that self inflicted illness,

Ive been doing some more painting.  You can see more clearly in these pictures the colour ive used for the decks, although the foredeck will be grey as shown.   I have painted the funnels black, like the med sette but the original ship has yellow funnels.  Im not sure whats better, black or yellow?  What do you guys think?  Built the mast too as the picture shows.  Sorry i know the pictures are a little similar to the last ones but these are a bit clearer

TugCowboy

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 10:58:53 pm »

I'd personally go yellow, just to break the silhouette up a little.

Looking very good, I personally like the green, I'm just not sure if a green deck would be too green.... reckon yellow would be better...match the funnel too :D

Alex

Garabaldy

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 06:29:25 pm »

yellow better?

TugCowboy

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 06:37:23 pm »

Now that is looking gooooooooooooooood! nice job! ;)

Alex

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 06:56:30 pm »

Yep, the yellow's better.

I bet the Mrs wasn't around when you took those photos! Mine isn't when I do!!!  {-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Garabaldy

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 07:08:33 pm »

its a step mum in the house........  FAR worse than a mrs!

thanks again everyone.  Now its down to fixing my rudder issues.  I am going to eventually make becker rudders for it.  I would have done that in the first place but i didnt even know what a becker rudder was untill yesterday haha.

Garabaldy

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 12:45:06 am »

sailing tonight went BRILLIANTLY!  The loch was rough, the waves were huge!  The pictures dont show the waves much as my dad was at the helm when the photos were being taken.  The deck was a wash most of the time she was sailing and very little water made it in.  I believe most of the water which did make it in, did so around the funnels and winch cabin area but it was nothing im too concerned about.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 05:36:27 pm »

Suggestion, change your font colour- yuk !
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Garabaldy

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 07:10:07 pm »

i look forward to seeing some more progression on her.  i recomend fitting independant ESC for the motors btw.  Handles really well :-))

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 05:28:02 pm »

looking good, sits a little low for my liking, BUT thats the same for all boats like that
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

craftysod

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 08:56:01 pm »

Watching with interest,looking good
Mark

Garabaldy

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 12:12:09 pm »

looking good.  i was too lazy to do this when she was mine :embarrassed:

a stern thruster would be excellent in her but the space is extermemly limited.  Do you think you could get it to work using a pump and some pvc/abs pipe fittings?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.