Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tap and die sets...  (Read 7823 times)

Hagar

Tap and die sets...
« on: September 04, 2008, 10:42:20 pm »

Any one recommend a good place to get taps and dyes from, either as a set or individually. a webshop would be nice. In the EU would be great.

andygh

Re: Tap and dye sets...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 10:47:40 pm »

I've bought quite a lot of tools from this place, very reasonable prices IMHO

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/TAPS_AND_DIES__SETS_AND_INDIVIDUAL_.html

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 10:51:03 pm »

Hagar,
The Tap & Die Co. www.tapdie.com have one of the biggest ranges I've seen and Tracey Tools at www.tracytools.com or Chronos www.chronos.ltd.uk are always helpful to deal with.

Hope this helps,

Barry M

chingdevil

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 10:58:03 pm »

Any particular sizes you are after??

Brian

Proteus

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 12:19:12 am »

these are good but the site is slow, depends on the size and how often you are going to use them , the likes of ALDI do sets of metric taps and dies that are a good standby and for the occasional job ,,and they are cheap.its handy to have some sizes that you would not normally buy and these sets fit that bill.
Rdg tools are good as well.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools

Proteus

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 02:45:03 am »

It all depends on what sort of materials you are going to be using them on, if just non ferrous or a bit of mild steel you should find carbon taps and dies perfect tor the job, you will also find they stay sharper longer, but a little care has to be taken as they are rather brittle.

You can buy tap and die sets from market stalls, ballasting your boat with - yes, cutting accurate threads - no.

I have used all of the above mentioned for taps and dies, but always return to Tracy tools because of the range they have and the choice I want, at the right price.

John

Reade Models

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 05:44:24 am »

Screwfix do sets of both carbon steel and HSS taps & dies. Very reasonable prices.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;jsessionid=Z3YG5LOCT1QHCCSTHZOSFFA?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=Taps+%26+Dies

The HSS set are obviously better than the carbon steel ones, and I would personally go for:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12834/Hand-Tools/Tap-Die-Sets/HSS-Steel-Tap-and-Die-Set-51Pc

It's all a matter of choice.

Malc

catengineman

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 08:16:13 am »

don't forget to get some cutting compound or light grease to aid your tap/die and help it to last longer

just my view

R,

bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 10:37:52 am »

The HSS set are obviously better than the carbon steel ones

In the case of the screwfix ones, they are what I was on about for boat ballast.

People are under the impression that HSS are much better than carbon steel. Not so, it is horses for courses. Any good long term model engineer should be able to tell you the same.

I have sets of carbon steel taps and dies that I bought thirty years ago, and they are still in regular use almost daily. For the materials I mentioned they are perfect for the job. I only use HSS if going for the harder materials.

As I said there are two types of carbon sets, the ones from markets (and screwfix) that are almost useless, then good quality ground ones that I buy from Tracy tools at half the price of HSS ones.

John

Reade Models

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 10:59:26 am »

As you say, horses for courses...

(But then again,I've only got 50 odd years workshop experience, so what would I know?)

The Screwfix products are fine for general workshop use, they work, are reasonably priced - and available.

I too have taps and dies made from both materials - and the HSS variety stay sharper for much longer and are generally a superior product.  I tend to use lead for ballast like most regular modellers.

Malc

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 11:27:12 am »

I buy them as I need them from an old fashioned iron monger shop.

He knows what is best for the material I am working when I am buying from him.  O0

Mind you there isn't half some cheep crap about, especially on ebay.

Martin

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 08:47:39 pm »

I bought some cheapies a while back (made in India I think) and they are garbage.
The taps and dies I bought through Chronos were high quality, cost more and are still churning out decent threads years on. I can be a bit hard on my tools at times but these little fellas just keep going. 'Ya gets what ya pays for in this world' ,it's the age old story so if you are intending like me, to do lots of work with this type of tool, bite the bullet and shell out for some proper ones... you won't buy a cheap one ever again!
If you intend using them on steel, you will definately need decent gear but DO buy a bottle of Rocol cutting oil as it will transform your thread cutting and stop you from breaking taps, again, not cheap but it will last you for years as you only need a drip for each job and coupled with that, what price a broken tap!. If you cut a piece of steel with a dry hacksaw then try the same job with the cutting oil you will see what I mean.
Hope this helps.
Chris

Hagar

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 09:42:16 pm »

Now there are to many choices  :-\

Got a couple of prises from the local boys, cheap set (china) £40- good set, £380.00!!! PLUS VAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>:-( >:(

Specifics: Most offten brass, alu, and mild steel once in a while, the odd bit of stainless, but only very rarely.

Cutting oil is not a problem, as I work for a tool wholesalers!!! (but we dont carry taps nd dies !)

I'll have a look though the links and post a few suggestions for your approval or dismissal.

Ian M
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.