Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone built or run a Aziz/Arif Tug?  (Read 2352 times)

TugCowboy

Has anyone built or run a Aziz/Arif Tug?
« on: August 23, 2008, 10:40:54 pm »

Hello All,

I am wondering if anyone on here has built, or had experience of/seen/touched/played with a Model Slipway "Anchor Handling Tug Aziz/Arif"

It looks like a truly excellent model, all my experience so far has been with pre-built marine models. However I have extensive aircraft/car/railway model building experience. I don't feel ready to build from scratch yet but this looks like an excellent compromise.

What I would really like from it is a very powerful towing tug for the heavy stuff at my local club, and in my own fleet (battleships and heavy merchants) would the Aziz fit the bill? I've found the 2004 review on it but it only really covers the building stage and not the running.

I'm a compulsive tinkerer so I want something modern (late 80's onwards) so I can keep retrofitting with latest technology etc without getting too out of the realms of reality.

Any information or experience anyone has would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Stavros

TugCowboy

Re: Has anyone built or run a Aziz/Arif Tug?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 11:56:24 pm »

Thank you Stavros.

Looks like some great advice in there. Think I will pick up the kit in the next month and hopefully have it built over the winter period.

Only thing is I want a tug to play with between now and then! I might have to buy one off eBay to keep me going while the Aziz is on the workbench.

Alex

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 10:24:33 am »

Hi Alex

Welcome to the ModelBoatForum. It's nice to have you on board.

Good choice, the Aziz.  I've been offered money for mine, but I love it to much. She sails quite well with a powerful thrust, but watch the turns, as she scoops the water.

I do have the complete build on You tube if you're interested. The are two films to complete the set (warts and all, so an interesting time !!)

Red Pelican .............         http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=STKeFe_FxrQ

All the best

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

TugCowboy

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 12:28:02 pm »

Ken,

Thank you for that I enjoyed watching the videos, and reading your project thread.

I wonder if you might let me know how long it took you to build the Red Pelican? Its done to a wonderful standard!
I probably have about 4-5 hours a day to spare and would like to do the model between about October-February. Would that be sufficient time in your mind?

Thank you for your time.

Alex

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 07:41:36 pm »

Hi Alex

Thanks for the compliment, I think it was also during the winter that I built mine. I'm retired, so I had all day to myself and I figure she took about 3 to 4  months to build.

As it was my first model, I made several mistakes along the way which meant I had to re do bits now and then. You've probably noticed the warts in the build log. Hopefully you can bypass these and proceed at a nice pace.

Any questions along the way, please ask and the guys on here will be only to glad to help you. I know they did help me.

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.