Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My boat wont go straight :-(  (Read 6172 times)

stevept109

My boat wont go straight :-(
« on: August 24, 2008, 11:10:01 pm »

Help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::)

I have just bought a CEN Aquajet fitted with a 600 BB turbo motor and a Jeti JES 600 Navy E.S.C.   Took it to the lake for an outing and all was fine. Nice and quick went very well indeed (even with my limited knowledge) this was last week
Problem is i bough it home recharged the batts and sorted it all out (cleaned and greased etc) Took it out today and to my horror she just wont go in a straight line. Ive set the rudder straight and with a little throttle OK. Then if i try to accelerate she just Vere's off to one side or the other. I correct on the stick then more forward stick and she Vere's off again.

What am I doing wrong, what have i done etc

Any help greatly appreciated

Steve...

Weeds

Re: My boat wont go straight :-(
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 02:05:50 am »

#1 please post a picture and/or video and list your equipment radio, am or fm?, etc.

#2 is the prop shaft straight and centered?

#3 is the rudder linkage wobbly?

#4 is the boat center balanced or is it leaning to one side?

#5 is the radio glitching/jittering servo?

TugCowboy

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 11:15:14 am »

she just Vere's off to one side or the other

If its changing the side at which its going off to each time I'd say its probably a jittering servo as has been said above.
Does it do it only past a certain distance from the TX?

If I were you I'd stick it in the bath and have a mate walk out into the garden or something like that with your transmitter holding the throttle down and you watch and see if the rudder servo jitters or something like that, the further away he gets.

Alex

stevept109

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 09:40:46 pm »

Sorry for the delay in replying  >>:-( Very busy you know  8)

Right i now have some time off so i will be taking all your comments and applying solutions as appropriate.

1. Prop shaft is straight & central
2. Rudder linkage is good
3. The boat is balanced OK
4. Think a glitching servo may be the problem.

I had a problem when i first put her on the water as by if i tried to accelerate and turn the boat would just stop until the rudder was back in the central position. I changed the receiver batteries (for new ones) but it still did this even with the TX just a few inches from the boat.
Then , and I'm not sure if this is OK , I attached the RX direct to one of the power pack's. This is when it started mucking about. Could this be the problem ? Too much voltage to the RX ?
I'm still very new to all this malarkey so any advise is good.

Thanks in advance

Steve...

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 10:24:15 pm »

Does your speed controller have a battery eliminator circuit? It sounds as though this might be the case if you latterly applied power direct to the receiver. If so and you apply power direct to the RX you will get problems. You need to disconnect the power from the RX or disconnect the middle wire on the ESC lead to the RX. This will ensure the RX is getting the correct power.

If you other problem still persists then then you may have a faulty Transmitter.  :(

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Weeds

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 10:50:25 pm »

if the speed control or receiver are too close to the motor (and maybe the battery, im not sure which) might glitch the servo...

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 11:11:13 pm »

I personally think you have blow the esc,why may you ask this unit has BEC which means it does not need a separate batt pack to power the receiver as it supplies a 5 volt  supply straight from the mail batts this it does internally.If by your own admissions in a previous post and I quote I changed the receiver batteries (for new ones) but it still did this even with the TX just a few inches from the boat.
So by using a spearate batt pack you have cooked the ESC been there done that had the T shirt etc,defiantly if you have connected the receiver direct to the main batts you would have put that voltage don into the speed controller and blown it sky high,sorry to be a bearer of bad news but you will have to get a new one.I suppose a certain Tech no wizard will comment further wont you.

Stavros

Weeds

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 11:42:11 pm »

you may have a point..but even cooked esc sometimes continue to work...i think the jittering problem is more with the receiver because the esc does not really connect to the servo... :-\

Stavros

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 11:53:22 pm »

But if you think about it Weeds is it worth the risk

Stavros

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 12:26:18 am »

Do you have any to metal to metal joints, eg. linkages?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stavros

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 08:44:13 am »

Martin sorry wrong way of thinking the clue is in the posting of what he did ref using his main batts direct to reciever and using a seperate batt pack to power reciever when ESC has BEC.ESc only good for the bin.Yes it might still work of a fashion but it is jshsghsh

Stavros

barry park

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 04:51:19 pm »

I had a problem when i first put her on the water as by if i tried to accelerate and turn the boat would just stop until the rudder was back in the central position. I changed the receiver batteries (for new ones) but it still did this even with the TX just a few inches from the boat.
Then , and I'm not sure if this is OK , I attached the RX direct to one of the power pack's. This is when it started mucking about. Could this be the problem ? Too much voltage to the RX ?
If I read correctly that you direct connect a 5 or 6 cell  pack to receiver then you need a series dropper diode(a shottky is best) absolute minmum .It is not the higher voltage that is a problem it is the supply line noise upsets a shift register chip in the recever and the servo signals are corrupted and servo swings one way at high throttle.A series diode ,in conjunction with a 100 uF capacitor inside the receiver, smooths out the high frequency disturbance by peak-detection.Same thing happens if input to bec is not maintained above 6 volts and if bec regulator is damaged.If so can be easily fixed.
You are better off with a miniature (1/3 AA) receiver pack.
Barry Park

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 05:23:53 pm »

If I read correctly that you direct connect a 5 or 6 cell  pack to receiver then you need a series dropper diode(a shottky is best) absolute minmum .It is not the higher voltage that is a problem it is the supply line noise upsets a shift register chip in the recever and the servo signals are corrupted and servo swings one way at high throttle.A series diode ,in conjunction with a 100 uF capacitor inside the receiver, smooths out the high frequency disturbance by peak-detection.Same thing happens if input to bec is not maintained above 6 volts and if bec regulator is damaged.If so can be easily fixed.
You are better off with a miniature (1/3 AA) receiver pack.
Barry Park
More techno-crap  ::)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 06:20:17 pm »

Some of us can understand it Richard, you need to go to the library more often!  {-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 06:45:57 pm »

Sorry Colin my hobby is model building not the unintelligible theory of techno crap.
I want to sail my boats not read about the intricacies of their electric supply or be able to fill up all the postings on the forum with something only a few will ever understand or want to. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 06:55:40 pm »

Well Richard, if you don't understand it then just keep quiet rather than spoil it for others. I like to learn things rather than dismiss them as "techno crap". Keeps me feeling younger!

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 07:23:13 pm »

Stick with it Barry, there's more than one gang O0  {-)  {-)  {-)
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 08:11:02 pm »

Come on Dicky, chill out a bit, this is what we are all here for. 

One guy asks a question and another is prepared to give up some of his time to help.  We all help on different levels but as long as it is relevent to the one asking the question what does it matter?

I didn't understand either but I'm gald that someone is trying to help. 

As they always say "If you don't like what's on telly, turn the thing off!" O0
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 10:57:09 pm »

Hi Stevept
Is the aerial wire from your rx near the main motor ?
or has is bean cut?

aye

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Weeds

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 11:32:28 pm »

Good post. But need more info. Where do I connect the diode and capacitor?

stevept109

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 11:59:59 pm »

BlimmeyThanks people,
Some stuff I understand some  "PHEWWWWW" right over my head, but i thank you all for the help so far. I'm going to rebuild and check everything in the next couple of days and will let you how I get on.

The Ariel wire hasn't been cut nor is it near the motor.
The main problem I'm trying to understand is why when i first used the boat she was perfect. All this started after just recharging the batteries and taking her back to the lake.

Just on a side line if I have fried the ESC surely it wouldn't work at all ? In fact the ESC still seems to work fine.

Again thanks for all your help peeps i really appreciate it, Like my dad always used to say "If you don ask you may never know and you never know what you may learn in the process"

Steve...

barry park

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 08:52:47 am »

Hi Pete,
I googled at the spec of said controller.
A bit more info would have spared 20 guesses. {-)
You have cuffed the receiver.It wont work without drastic surgery. :(
With a photo or flatbed scan of both sides you might be able to solder under direction but look at the cost of drop in replacements.
Barry Park

chas

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 09:53:46 am »

I don't normally reply to posts like these 'cos there are much cleverer people than me to do that, but I agree with Barry that the receiver is almost certainly damaged. Me, I would hand the receiver to another modeler or model shop and ask them to check it with separate servos and battery pack, just to be sure.
 The posts do show how different we all are, some of us who started in the 1960s had to learn techi stuff, making our own stuff was the only way we could afford to have radio gear. The price of a decent outfit then would be the equivalent of over £1000 now, a bit much for my paper round to pay for!
 My point is that we all love model boats whether ready made or taking years of work, simple or complex, so all help is valid and appreciated. Thank you all.
Chas

barry park

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 10:53:39 am »

Good post. But need more info. Where do I connect the diode and capacitor?
Just follow this picture of the cheapskates's speed control as a guide
It's in there somewhere! {-)
Weeds,I'll do a line diagram or or stick a finished on in a photo if you solemly declare that is not a wind up.
Capacitor is hiding inside your receiver case.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 11:18:33 am »

Hi Steve,

What's the current state of your setup?
Do you still have full control over the motor with any glitches?
Is it just the rudder servo that twitching just a little way away from the Tx?

1. Is there any possibility that water got into the receiver or rudder servo?
2. Have you got another servo just to plug in to test the rudder channel?
3. Have you tried swapping the channels over just for a test?

Interestingly, on the Jeti site there is no mention of BEC in the Navy 600 but there is on the Ripmax site?!?

http://www.jetimodel.cz/eng/hlavnien.htm
http://www.jetimodel.cz/eng/navody_en/jes_450_600navy_eng.pdf
http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemid=P-JES600N

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.