Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Slo-Mo !  (Read 13531 times)

Hagar

Another Slo-Mo !
« on: August 25, 2008, 07:02:24 pm »

Well I bit the bullet and made a choice. My first build is going to be a Slo-Mo-Shun thingie! BUT just because I'm like what I am, Its going to be from scratch. And if I did me sums right in 1/8 scale!!!
So. To get things started, I needed a plan. This was duly found and the maths done and a new plan printed out. Due to the resulting size of the model, this left me with a pile or A4 pages that had to be sorted out. That done the paper patterns where transfered over to thickish card, and cut out. These in turn were set up on a chunk of 6mm birch ply and chopped out into the rough shapes. As they get cut to size, sanded and trimmed, they get placed on the build board. Just come in from doing nr, 3 and 4. The bow and the second one being done yesterday, after I built the board.

Now for a few questions:
How do you post photos here and what is the preferred size? Once I got that figured out I'll be posting a few pixes of the build as it grows from a bit of plywood to a hopefully beautiful boat.

One thing to set down first is that it will be first and formost a statice model but there will be a motor and radio going in her. More on that later, but a few points arise from this wish.
I was thinking of doing the bottom in alu. as she was built. In an attempt to save a bit of weight, would it be prudent to skip the bottom planking, or sheeting in this case, and glue the alu direct onto the hulls ribs? Maybe a better idea to clad the bottom just like the real one? Does any body, some of you on the other side of the pond maybe, have access to pictures of the bottom? My searches on the net has found a good deal of top side photos, but none of the bottom.
Any good suggestions on which type of glue to fix alu to wood with. Aralldit?

Like I have said, this is my first build, so be kind.

I have read pretty much all the master build posts, (and have infact ordered a set of plans for the 63ft rescue boat that Bluebird is doing such a great job on).

Also if any one that has built a Slo-Mo is more than welcome to send me a message to let me know who I can rib for dimensions of some of the things I have no idea about!!

Cheers!

Ian

Subject name changed - Martin

Hagar

Re: Oh no! Another Slo-Mo !
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 08:49:09 pm »

Found a pretty great gallery, with boatloads  ::) of photos of Slo-mo IV. masses of detail pics too.

I noticed that the port side of the rear section, is straight, but the starboard side has a long curved section that comes up to the water line. Any one got a take on that?
I se that the rear bulkhead of the sponsens has also a large round opening (a hole). Having now seen this I took another look at some of the other phots I have found to see if this was also a feature of the boat when running, It is! Anyone got any suggestions as to why this hole is there?

One last question: Has Slo-mo been one to death?

Hagar

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 09:28:43 pm »

Well  thus far I have printed the plans for the ribs, cut them in 6mm birch ply and as of today, covered the top with 1,5mm birch ply.
Had a nasty moment when it came to cutting the opening for the cockpit and motor compartment.

Here are a few photos:
Take a pile of cardboard, and cut the paterns for the ribs:

Cut them out of ply and fix to a build board:

Get some ribs on, make note to buy more clamps:

Hagar

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 09:44:12 pm »

Once the glue has cured, the under decking can go on, Being a coward, I opted to do it in four parts, as I just could not figure out how to di it in one piece:

So far so good:

Now there are a few pictures missing as my telephone was recharging...
Now the top is skined and ready for a bit of filler and a sand paper rubdown.

Had a bit of fun making a prop shaft for it. My new shaft is 4mm Piano wire. which was actually 4.1mm. Not nice when the hole in the bearing is 4mm. After a bit of spinning in some emmery, is went in with out to much violence.

Now I just have to cut it to lenght and thread the end.

Hagar

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 10:09:47 pm »

Well things are going along nicely, well I think so.

There is now a hole in my boat, Fortunatly it's in the right place... Hopefullly:

Also got the hull cut away from the building board. That was hard work!

This now enables me to shape the bottom stringers to make the bottom.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 02:53:31 pm »

Nice looking build mate a guy i met at the local lake has one with a zen in it,its from an old dumas kit he bought in the states years ago.Been a true scale model it doesnt run great its fast but turns are very poor he reckons.Def not as fast or agile as my semi scale rockett hydro.Heres a  pic of his shes a nice boat ,keep up the good work.
Mart

Hagar

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 05:14:35 pm »

Thanks for that Martin, begining to think that no one was looking!
Do you have that link I sent to you to that gallery with all those photos. My PC is dead and I'm on the misseseses at the moment. Most inconveinent as all my plans and what not are on mine!
Story so far is that the hull is skined in ply, and is getting near the point of the mahogany planking.
Got the tail fin sorted, I had printed the pattern for that, Now waiting for the glue to dry....

Still a bit stumped as to fixing the aluminium on the bottom and transom. Any body with ant advise?
If some one could advise me as to an aproximate size for a stearing wheel would also be helpful. Either the size of the billing boats one or the real one, the I can size it up to 1/8.

One last question for now. Alu speedboad rudders, any good suggestions to a web shop for those? I can find loads in plastic.

More photos later, got to find a cable, mrs pc dont have a bluetooth port!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 05:46:45 pm »

Which gallery mate?,as for rudders i dont know because you will be wanting a scale one ?.try this guy for decals he will cut some realistic ones the correct size hes a top guy.He will also know where to get the steering wheel and his prices are good.
Mart
http://www.pgsignsofva.com/18%20Thunder%20boat%20decals.html
heres some pics
http://thunderboats.smugmug.com/

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 06:26:10 pm »

the sloping side at the rear is called a non trip side i have two on mine they are to stop the boat tripping over itself in a  turn as the boat turns water shoots up the angled non trip rather than hitting a flat side which would slow you down and also maybe cause a flip.Yours has one i asume because its meant to turn right only.
Mart

Hagar

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 11:51:15 am »

Thanks Martno. Now I think about it I think it was Mark I sent that link to with the gallery. But what the hey. It was in the link you sent so luck played out.
Thanks for the link to the guy with the decals too. I have a pile of waterside paper, so I was thinking of doing them my self to, but after I have  >>:-( and :'( and  >>:-( some more I might just drop him a line!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another Slo-Mo !
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 01:44:20 pm »

No worries mate Jim who makes those decals is a nice guy and he can make anything you want and you couldnt beat his prices here and shipping at a guess will be arround £4 -£6  thats all it cost me for a 2 ft tube full of decals last time i had some delivered from the states.Back to your build what power plant are you planning for it ?.I you plan on running her id consider a slightly oversised rudder as they seem to have a very wide turning circle been scale they dont seem to scale down and run that well at least the one i mentiond earlier doesnt according to the owner.Just something to be aware of if you plan on running it fast as id hate to see you run it up the bank and ruin your great work ;).
Mart

Hagar

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 06:57:55 pm »

In my neck of the woods, in Denmark, there are very few places you can run a gas boat, so I am thinking brushless. Not 100% on that though. I rather like the idea of a gas motor. (If money grew on trees I'd drop on of those v8's into it. Why? cause on one makes a V12 {-) ).
As for the size of the motor to put in it I am totally clueless! Its 104cm long, about 35-40cm wide (I think, cant be chuffed to go out and measure it). Weight wise, no idea as half of it is laying om the bench, waiting to be made or stuck on.

I've made a start on the planking, so its going along. but no pictures yet. I've taken a few, just cant post them yet as I cant get them off my phone onto the PC.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 10:26:39 pm »

You could shoehorn a stock 260 zenoah or maybe a 230 zen rather than a 260 would be better.Or go nitro maybe?.Sounds about the same size as the one in the pics,he has a modded zen in his but its over powered and struggles to turn mind you it struggles at half speed too.Electric sounds a good idea if noise is an issue but i have no clue with those lol.
Mart
PS mines not quiet  :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP0L-Fb1RLk

Hagar

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 12:22:00 am »

Nice turn of speed there martno. Personally I have no objection to a bit of motor sound, but unfortunatly there are not a lot of places I can run a IC motor boat here.
The Slo-mo pictures that you posted; was that built from a kit?
Thunderboats is a pretty good site, but the join up page is down at the moment. Slomoshun.com is still rather incompleat, and I still need to get some info - photos of a good few things yet, also some further info.
Like was the rudder on the tail fin, conected to the rudder, or was it controlled seperatly? I've seen it refered to as a trimer, so maybe not connected to the rudder. The Actual profil of the tail is simple enogh to figure out, but the section is a bit blurry. Looks like the bottom gets thicker at the back end, but the top is thin all the way frount to back....

If you can think of any other good sourses for Slo-mo stuff, prey tell.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 02:49:57 pm »

Hi mate yes the slo mo was a dumas kit very rare nowadays,probably worth some money now.Dont know why he runs it id have it on display,it doesnt handle great (doesnt turn well) according to him although ive only seen it run on video.I will keep an eye out for info for you mate.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 03:05:55 pm »

Try this site mate,look for a guy called Dave Weagle he knows lots about these boats hes a mate of mine shoot him a pm im sure he can help hes seen most of these boats in real life,the full size ones i mean.Hes built quite a few himself from scratch and from kits hes more into scale ones than me and knows his stuff.
Mart

Hagar

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 07:20:34 pm »

Latest up date:
The top is now planked with mahogani, Rough sanded and looking OK if I say so myself. Pictures to follow. Just got to figure a way of getting them onto the pc....
Tail fin is also done, and the trim rudder attached.
Started on the motor cover. This is the worst part for me, as the only real guide I have is photos on the internet. It looks a bit wiered at the moment, but then its only halv done.

Still being a bit of a coward about clading the Alu onto the bottom and sides...

Getting to think of details. Like do I paont it as a slo-mo. or do I paint it a bit different and just call it a three point hydroplan? Hm....

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 01:19:14 pm »

Look forward to seeing some pics of the decking  O0.
Mart

Hagar

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 06:00:52 pm »

Mart,
On the real boat; the motor cover, was that made of aluminium or wood? The one I did in wood looks like, er.... not that great, shall we just say! Think that its a do over!

Been trying to find some info on the net but not to much around on that part of the boat. Looks like it might be metal, with all the rivets on it. Logic says that a wooden one would be a bit impractical. Any views on that?

I am at the moment e-mailing the photos on my phonr to SHMBO's PC. So might have some thing in a few days I can post!!!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 06:42:31 pm »

Hi mate i can find out for you,let me know any more info you need as i know a guy in the states who knows all about these boats ,in fact he knew Roger Newton i believe who as you know was very involved in not only working on the real hydros years back but rebuilt a few for the hydro museum,he was also the man that brought these boats to rc for the first time.My thinking is as yours that the cover and canopy was probably metal of some kind.
Mart

Hagar

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 06:47:12 pm »

Right then! After a bit of fiddleing with the old e-mail accounts I got some photos off the phone and onto the PC, them on Photobucket. Phew!

A start to the planking. Seems as good a place as any to start:

Then a bit more:

Just wipede the front off with a damp cloth to get the dust off.
One side down one to go. I did think about the 5 a side rule then thought Naaaa, go for it!

All of a sudden (like after a week and a few days) the top was done. Just needs a good sanding down. (yawn).

The tiny inconspicuos tail finn is just sitting there at the moment, cant make up my mind as to glue it or screw it so it can come off for transport...

A quick step back to have a look at things. The scaffold in the motor bay was the first attempt at building the motor cover. Failed with flying colours I might add!

Thanks for asking, mart. As it happens I could really use an idea of the size of the steering wheel and maybe a good picture of the dashboard. Metal does seem the most logical, just got to get my head around the nosecone for it. Im off to the museum gallery!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 09:14:29 pm »

Its looking really nice mate top job i think you can still squeeze some floatation in there? cut some pool noodles to fit where you can.As soon as i get info on the cover ill let you know ill also ask for some dash photos if he hasnt any they dont exist lol.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 09:23:58 pm »

Wow that was quick he got back to me he says he thinks they were glass fibre and used metal straps and rivets to join them,he says none of the cowls looked dented on the orriginals so they must have been glass fibre.Theres some great pics of the slo mo shun dash on the museum site heres a link to some.
Mart
http://thunderboats.smugmug.com/gallery/4793901_XP9TL#P-4-12

Hagar

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 09:02:55 am »

Found a yard of closed cell pipe insulation which I managed to get into most of the bow and sponsens, so hopefully it wont go straight to the bottom when it sinks. (theres confidence for you)!

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 09:31:18 am »

Hi,

Looking very nice. I saw you wiped the wood with a damp cloth, I would recommend not to do that, it raises the grain of the wood and will need more sanding.

Use white spirit on a cloth, it cleans, degreases and de dusts all at the same time.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.