Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Slo-Mo !  (Read 13523 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another Slo-Mo !
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 09:51:30 am »

Found a yard of closed cell pipe insulation which I managed to get into most of the bow and sponsens, so hopefully it wont go straight to the bottom when it sinks. (theres confidence for you)!

Your good to go mate ive used those pipe insulators before theyre fine .
Mart

Hagar

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 10:06:57 am »

Boat mad: Its not sanded fine yet, Had just ripped the top down to get rid of some glue ouse and the excess cardboard from between the planks. But thanks for the tip. My old wood shop teacher said that if you dampen the wood to raise the grain, then sand it, when it drys again it will be like a babies bum. Fair enough, but he said nowt on how to stop it smelling!

A tip from a guy I know suggests using West pack epoxy to fix the Aluminium on the bottom/sides. Any one got any experiance with that?

PS Hemple do a clear to pak varnish "Diamond" anybody tried it. Said to be glass clear. UV resistant and hard as nails. Thinking of using it ot finnish off with.

Hagar

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 01:54:18 pm »

Right then! Things are getting interesting...
Motors, This boat started out as a dislpay build, but you all now how these ideas end up {-)
If I wanted to get any form of speed out of this thing, what size of motor should I be thinking of. I know I should of had that sorted before I threw it together, but like I said, it started out as a display.
Right you will need some info.
Weight (!) at the moment it weighs in at 2500g (5 1/2 lb in old money) To this you should add a lick of paint and a splattering of poly to keep it looking nice, and around 300g alu plate that has yet to get stuck on the bottom.
So; we now know that its a brick.
Total lenght is 1004cm and is 46cm across the hips.
Now for the real tricky bit: The hatch/motor room.... The opening in the top is a miserly 12,5 cm.
I would prefer not to chuck bits out of the top! (thus rodgering my loverly mahgany planking).

So lets have a few suggestions on what I can use to shove the thing through the water.
Drives? Rudders? Suggestions are welcome on this area too. Turn finns? will I be needing those to.

My little project has now become a nautical "Pimp my ride".   O0

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 02:05:28 pm »

Are you thinking of electric motors or nitro gas etc?,you will need a turn fin on the right not left these things are meant to turn clockwise,never seen one with two fins but it might have been done.you could try one similar to mine and scale it down if needed?.any standard size strut and rudder for surface drive will do the job but what size diam shaft will depend on your powerplant.The one i showed you has a full mod zen 260 in it but a stock one would go well.You will probably go leccy there im not sure but something with about 3 hp equivelant ish should do.Def brushless id say and lipo batterys maybe to save weight,expensive compaired to gas though :-X.
Mart

Hagar

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 02:52:12 pm »

How big is a zenoah anyways Mart?

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 04:26:07 pm »

Dam now i have to measure it lol,engine rails need to be 5" apart as for the exact size ill measure it when i get chance.the big problem is fitting the pipe in there ,because your deck is on you might struggle to get things in there maybe?.
Mart

Hagar

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 08:46:38 pm »

Or I could make a custom pipe and take it out the side of the motor bay......
(read get someone to make me one {-) )
I have a weed whacker siting in the shed, that needs a new coil. Might just se if that will fit....
As far as electric motors go they are ok, but its just the 15 hours of charging for ten minuets of fun. This is whats got me thinking of petrol.
Having seen the price of a good nitro motor, a Zen is looking quite cheap!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 09:29:27 pm »

Forget the weedy motor too heavy and not enough power to get one of these going,your best bet is a zen if you can sort engine rails out in the hull?.Heres a pic of that slo mo with the zen fitted.
Mart

Hagar

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 08:02:41 pm »

Got terminally depressed trying to figure out the motor cover/cockpit.
Turned the boat upside down and have started to play with a little sheet of alu, in 0.5mm to dress the bottom contact surfaces.
Now I just got to find a heap of card board to make patterns with!!!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2008, 08:46:27 am »

Whats the reason for the alluminium? if your going to use the boat to run i wouldnt bother to be honest.For the cockpit cant you use blue foam and then glass over it and make a glass one?.
Mart

Hagar

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2008, 07:20:48 pm »

The main reason for the alu, is that the build started as a stand model. So being as I had it I used it. To be honest, it is probably going to sped most of its life sitting on a shelf in the livingroom, so I guess It wont hurt if it looks sort of like the real one.
Got the bottom of the sponsens done today, and it is now sitting until tommorow so the epoxy it 110% cured. Next is the bow plates, followed by the rear side panels, the sides of the sponsens, then the bottom its self.
I might just chicken out with the sides of the sponsens and plank them. I looks like a right pig of a shape to do.
I'll put a photo on come friday.

About the motor covers. I've come much to the same conclusion about doing it in GRP of some sort. Should be fun, never tried that before, but then I've never built a boat before either, so who knows?

Hagar

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2008, 08:43:27 pm »

Well, got the bottoms af the sponsens covered, Not looking to shabby...Photos later, cant get on photobucket at the moment (forgotten the naffin pass wordagain!!!).

Did the lower part of the bow to. Still looking at the sides and thinking how the heck am I going to do that, its just one big long compound curve!!!
Whilst thinking about that I got hold of a poly isulation board and started to mock up a motor cover. Again photos later, just got to get my brain to work and find where I hid th password!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2008, 04:28:40 pm »

Look forward to seeing the pics mate,by the way i am just starting a plug to make a mould for a hydro based on the rockett i have,Joe at zippkits gave me his blessing to do it so i cant wait to get started.Once i get the plug done and moulded ill start a  thread on it and show the finnished boat running as i have all the hardware and motor here ready for it apart from a  few odds and ends and a motor mount that is lol.
Mart

Hagar

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2008, 06:26:52 pm »

Sound good Mart.
Just the one photo for now, showing the Alu on the bottom of the sponsens and prow (?).

Dont worry about the clutter on the prow plate, the epoxy was still a bit soft, so Had to figure a way to hold it down.
Made a hatch for the motor bay, more thoughts on that latter...Just need to plank it ???

As my original title for this thread said, before Martin changed it this is "NOT another slo mo", I think of it as "Pimp My Slo-Mo". So its going to be a bit different than all the others. if I wanted one the same as all the others, I would of bought a kit.
One thought does strike me (and quite often). Maybe I should of started my Boat building with a kit and not scratch building!!!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2008, 07:12:19 pm »

Hi mate its looking good  :-)),i hope you dont take this the wrong way but if that were mine id keep it for show and build a less scale one for actuall running maybe similar to the one i built from Zippkits they go together ina  few hrs and run great.
Mart

Hagar

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2008, 09:33:24 pm »

None taken Mart. T'was the intention when I started, but you know how things go.
Looking at the cost of a 1/2 descent brushless and a couple of lipo packs to push it through the water is about the same as to good petrol engines!
I'm keeping an open mind.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2008, 11:34:44 pm »

If you do ever decide on a kit let me know as Joe is a very good friend of mine  ok2,when i start my new project ill keep you posted too.Your boat is going to look awesome im sure and i know what you mean about brushless motors theyre expensive.
Mart

steamboatbob

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2008, 12:20:46 am »

Mate i love the look of the aluminium that you are putting down I for one will be resorting to painting mine but this is awesome

here is anotherr one this guy is very good

http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/feforums/showthread.php?t=24546

srry for the link to another forum but this guy is a brilliant builder

Hagar

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2008, 06:47:32 am »

He's a dab hand with an air brush! Looks like he has done it before!!! ok2

Hagar

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2008, 01:46:40 pm »

Right then. Time for a little update:
The bottom of the sponsens are now plated, as is the lower part of the prow, compleat with sealing strip all the way up.
This is what it looks like without all the markerpen marks and hold downs:

The pretty pattern on the plate is the result of using a wire brush is a 'dremmel'. This will be getting done more finely in the near future.
The plate for the bottom of the main hull is now cut. Even having done it in two parts, ('cause I botched the cutting on the whole part :-X)
You will see that there are hundreds of holes in it if you look close enough.

An other angle, where you can see my next problem, erm, I mean challenge. The sloping sides at the rear of the hull. Made the template, just need to gut the plate. And they have to go on before the bottom. Good thing it aint stuck down yet init!

Now this bit is a problem. The sides of the sponsens where the hullbottom becomes the sides. I have now binned soooo many cardboard paterns I'm running out of card. A question: Should I wimp out and plank it, or stick with it and do it in plate alu?

Now about those hole all over the place on the hull plates. Bit of help here please, Anyone know where I can get hold of either alu (or same colour pins with heads)? Got loads in brass, but they look a bit off, sittin in an alu panel. So I what some in either alu, or steel. need only be real short, max 10mm. otherwise I'll have to cut them all down!!!

Now for this bit:

Would there have been some form of cowling around this point or would it just have been filed in with som form of sealer?

Thats it for now.

Hagar

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2008, 11:06:10 am »

Right then. Time for a little up date.
The disaster of a motor cover, went in the bin. the only part to survive was the rather nice nose which was cut off and kept for version 4; version 1 was a wood frame with alu covering and looked like do do! Version 2 was carved from foam. As far as a motor cover it was sea-rap! I thought it looked like the space shuttle and I wont say what the misses said it looked like  :-X
Version 3 was a nose in foam, the rest in wood and plank. Didn't look to bad, sort of. No it looked odd. That died when I tried to cut a hole in it for the exhaust...
So the final version is now like this: Foam nose, covered in GRP, the flair for the cockpit planked formers, with GRP and the bit in the middle, the actual motor cover, cut from aluminium sheet and nailed on with brass pins. It is now sitting with the first coat of paint. When its dry, I'll do a picture or two for you all (both of you) to have a giggle over.

Made the side panels for the rear of the hull. They are hiding under a yard of masking tape while the epoxy sets up. Again when they are exposed I will take a few snaps.
Having eaten the last of the corn flakes, I now have some more card to make patterns from. So I have just made the patterns for the sides of the front of the hull. Oh and the dashboard.
That just needs a few holes in where the instrument would be.

I have a question: Should I detail the top decking; you know, inset hundreds of bits of brass to simulate screws?

I'm off to read up on fiberglassing a hull.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2008, 12:40:50 pm »

Hi mate sounds like your finally getting somewhere with it,any help you need with fibreglassing ask away,as for doing nail details on the top deck i dunno thats up to you,might be a lot of work?.
Mart
ps this forum can be slow very slow im sorry theres not been much interest in your thread but i know how that feels.sent you a pm maybe you will get the interest this build deserves  ok2

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2008, 01:55:33 pm »

will you be making a dashboard with instruments or using decals? anyway heres a site that sells decals or you could save the pic and print a pic of one to get an idea what it will look like .
http://www.pgsignsofva.com/18%20Thunder%20boat%20decals.html

Hagar

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2008, 03:38:17 pm »

For the dash, I have cut a bit of aluminium sheet, this will get marked up and drilled where the meters should be. Bit of black card or plastic behind and fill the holes with epoxy...
did print out some dials, but at the size they had, the text was just a white blur, so I'm thinking og just marking a whit line for a needle and leaving it at that.

Thanks for the PM.

Maybe if It was a paddle mo, or a Smit-Mo-Shun, there would be a few more comments.

Hagar

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2008, 02:34:03 pm »

Right then. The sage continues. Been playing silly so-and-so's with the epoxy, and got those aluminium sheet bits stuck down. Well most of them.
Heres the bottom one. And yes it is "nailed down"!

And the rear side sheets:

Now I know what I can use those Big black things for!

Now before I go to all the bother of doing the final paint and finish on the tail fin and cock pit, What do you think, do they look OK?
I hope the cock-pit/motor covers are good enough, 'cause I ain't doing them again.

And a bit closer:

And from the port bow:

Dont worry about the terrible varinsh on the planking, Not finnished yet, just had to put some down to stop the planking getting dirty.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.