Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seaport "Super" Tug Conversion  (Read 3450 times)

Maur.d

Seaport "Super" Tug Conversion
« on: August 26, 2008, 07:47:16 pm »

Hello Mayhem,

I bring you my first build/conversion to a model boat.
I have two workboats, one of which is in the conversion process and one which is untouched.

Basically, the tug currently in conversion I have dubbed, "Line". This poor little tug has been through 3 body and paint jobs already and I have just finally settled on the final design.
The damage report is as follows,
  • Remove all separate pieces (ie: superstructure, rails, cleats, crane, etc)
  • Remove all electronics and radio equipment.

After everything was stripped off, I began to rearrange the superstructure on the deck.
When everything was where I liked it or seemed appropriate, using pliers, I (not) carefully removed any old screw things and plastics that stood out where they shouldn't be. After that I used model putty to fill in any new and old holes in the structure, and when dried, I sanded it to near uniform flatness.

When the design was finally decided it was time to paint the superstructure and parts on the deck and crane.
I decided on a two-tone black and gray paint job on the super structure and yellow and orange on the crane and dark green on the deck.

I then cut down the mast's height and painted it yellow and gray.

I decided to be different and actually drilled out the "windows" in the lower cabin to make it more realistic, I also cut out matching clear plastics squares from an old iPod case to insert into the newly drilled frames.
In addition to the windows, I installed interior lights into the lower cabin and wheelhouse (using LEDs) and 4 yellow decklights (also using LEDs).

I replaced the old plastic prop with a new slightly larger brass prop that fits absolutely beautiful inside the knort nozzle and drilled out to fit over the existing shaft.

New parts:
  • Brass prop
  • Plastic fire hose
  • Steel towing arch
  • Steel fire extinguisher (not shown)
  • Plastic tanks (not shown)
  • Plastic valves (only one shown)
  • Plastic water output (not shown)(functional)
  • Quiet water pump

The radar shown on top of the wheelhouse is now also automated and spins at near-scale speeds, In addition there is also an "always on" water pump that will suck up the water from the stock ballast and send it to and around the motor and batteries to act as a heatsink and then the water will be expelled from an output on the side of the hull.

The channel that used to be used by the water pump will now be used by a buzzer modified to sound like a horn.

In the pictures below is the current design, nothing is permanently on yet, the pieces are  just sitting on one another.

TugCowboy

Re: Seaport "Super" Tug Conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 08:35:03 pm »

excellent job, I love it.
I have one question if I may.. which prop is it you are using and where can one get it. It looks like it fits the part perfectly.

Alex

Weeds

Re: Seaport "Super" Tug Conversion
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 09:14:16 pm »

A+ lights and drilled out windows..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 20 queries.