Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mountfleet Models Ben Ain coaster  (Read 10613 times)

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
Mountfleet Models Ben Ain coaster
« on: August 26, 2008, 08:25:22 pm »

Apart from the excellent article by Bunkerbarge, does anyone else have any photos or information about this model? There is virtually nothing about it on the web, except Mountfleet's own website.

Cheers
Simon  :-\

barryfoote

Re: Mountfleet Models Ben Ain coaster
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:10:15 pm »

Confucious say "Too much information bad for brain"

Surely nothing else is needed except Bunkerbarges magnificent model.. O0

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 10:03:12 pm »

His isn't finished! I'm after photos of finished models...

:(

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 07:55:56 am »

Confucious also say "Too little information....bad for Brain".......Sorry... :'(

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 08:39:02 am »

Hello Footski,

I couldn't agree with you more about the excellent and detailed account by Bunkerbarge, but it would be nice to see photos of finished models by other modellers as this is one of several fine boat kits that have little coverage on the web. You've probably noticed that I've made several similar requests recently about other models that also seem to get overlooked. I feel that the more coverage we have of these models on the forum the better it will be for aspiring modellers of these kits. The Mountfleet Models range (as an example) is superb and needs that extra boost.

Cheers
Simon  O0

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 10:05:48 am »

There was a Ben Ain at Brighton Modelworld this year. I took a few pics, see below

Colin

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 11:49:54 am »

Absolutely lovely Colin. Perfect! Just what I was talking about. Many thanks for posting.

All the best
Simon  :D

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 12:12:56 pm »

Simon, One thing I do have, being lucky enough to live reasonably close to Mount Fleet Models, is a fair number of photo's of thier own prototype model that was built by Frank Hinchcliffe.  I could put some on here or, as I have done in the past, I can stick them on a CD and post them to you.

I also have a couple of original pictures of her from various sources but they are at home and I won't have access to them for a couple of weeks yet, one in particular is a book about the Ramsey Steamship company which actually contains a colour shot of her alongside in Ramsey.

I also find shots of similar ships of the period to be very usefull and there are actually a lot of them around on the net.  These can be usefull in determining typical construction details of the period which may well have been found on the Ben Ain and will greatly assist when it comes time to do the weathering.  There are a few shots of other Thomas Brothers vessels and Ramsey Steamship shots at rhiw.com, which are brilliant for getting a feel for ships of this type and of this period.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 02:17:09 pm »

Hello Bunkerbarge!

If you were able to post the photos from Mountfleet Models (and of the real "Ben Ain") on the forum that would brilliant, then everyone can share the very useful visual information about this lovely steam coaster. I am certainly looking forward to seeing your model when it is finished; will you weather it or keep it pristine?

All the best
Simon  ::)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 02:35:44 pm »

Glad to help Simon. It was quite a nice model but not really in the same league as Bunkerbarge's example.

Colin

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 04:05:50 pm »

Hello again Bunkerbarge!

I've had a look at the rhiw.com website and there are some truly atmospheric photos of old steam coasters. Highly recommended!

Simon  :o

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 01:27:40 am »

Simon, I've just posted all my Ben Ain pictures in the Q&A section of the build thread.  I hope they are of some use for you.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 08:31:32 am »

Thanks for that Bunkerbarge!

Cheers
Simon  ;)

nhp651

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 09:21:06 pm »

I've got some shots of a finished ben Ain I'm trying to sell at the moment, polobeer. if you pm me with your email address i'll send them to you. neil.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 11:07:24 pm »

Why don't you post them on the site so we can all have a look at them?

The more shots of finished ones the better.

nhp651

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 12:10:06 am »

I'd feel a bit of a cheat, Bunkerbarge, as I didn't build it and don't actually know who did? I bought it about 3rd hand a couple of years ago to sail whilst I was in the middle of building a project for someone, and then the weather turned lousy and hasn't improved since, so it just sits there gathering dust. but if you want them posting I'll run them off later today.neil. :)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 12:20:02 am »

I post dozens of pictures of models in the Kirklees Hall of Fame thread which I have not made and do not even own.  We can all however enjoy looking at them and that is exactly why you should port the pictures of your own Ben Ain.

I would think there is actually a very high proportion of members here who own a model that they didn't build themselves, i have quite a few for the very same reason as you, if I waited for my own Ben Ain to hit the pond I would have had nothing to sail for the past four years so I had to buy something almost complete to enjoy sailing.

nhp651

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 12:55:50 am »

no problems. neil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.