Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: using 6v for recievers  (Read 2321 times)

hooper

using 6v for recievers
« on: August 26, 2008, 11:21:05 pm »

Has anybody any view about using 6v as opposed to 4.8v on recievers. I've always stuck to the norm and used 4.8v, but my latest boat (and oldest) I've fitted with a new failsafe and after about 6 or 7 mins the throttle drops to tickover.  On testing the battery pack they seem to be ok, Im using 2500 nimh.
There's a high torque servo on throttle and I'm wondering if the failsafe is picking up a voltage drop and kicking in and whether using 6v instead might cure this. I'm reluctant to run the boat without the failsafe for safety reasons cos its bloody quick!

Stavros

Re: using 6v for recievers
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 11:35:00 pm »

I use 6v all the time on my yachts so yes it is safe

Stavros

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 11:36:19 pm »

You shouldn't have any problem on 6v - four AA dry cells in the cheapy holder give you 6v ( 4 x 1.5v ) anyway.
In fact I used to run my receiver directly off my 7.2v packs on some of my boats and definitely on some of my early r.c. cars with a mechanical speed controller.

Why a high torque on your (I presume nitro) throttle? - is the action so stiff as to require it?
Unless of course you have a mechanical back up on your throttle as well - a spring that closes the throttle in case of a linkage/ servo failure/ flat battery?

debssnal

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 11:53:47 pm »

Hi i use 6 volt gel cell on my 2.4ghz with no props
Battery 6 volt 3.2aph
kind regards
Alan

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 12:35:14 am »

But you do have to check that your servoes will work on 6volts, some are quite fussy!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tony23

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 12:49:58 am »

servos shouldn't be a problem in fact they will work quicker than on 4.8 volt.

hooper what cells are you using? also do you have a charger that will tell you what its putting into the pack I think your pack sounds like it's at fault.

hooper

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 01:03:09 am »

I'm using 4xAA 2500mAh  nimh cells in a conventional battery holder. I could try a low speed run with the failsafe disconected incase its a fault in the failsafe , it does happen even though its new I suppose.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 09:05:39 am »

servos shouldn't be a problem in fact they will work quicker than on 4.8 volt.

That's what I thought but some of the high end servos, (coreless, digital, Spektrum) are not rated for 6v,
 I've had an expensive model plane crash to verify that.....  :(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 09:15:18 am »

Just a thought ,there is talk about 4.8v v 6v and i see that some of the members are using nimh's dont forget these cells ar 1.2v not 1.5v so 4 of them is 4.9v not 6v . Has /does anyone use a 6v gell/sla battery to power their reciever .
Like i said just a thought.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 09:28:32 am »

Has /does anyone use a 6v gell/sla battery to power their reciever .
Like i said just a thought.
daz

Yes - on one of my boats I run the Rx directly off the drive battery - a 6v 3.2Ah SLA. As long as your Rx says it has a BEC, then it will take in excess of 6volts - not sure the upper limit it will depend on the BEC, but certailnly 7.2v. Dont forget that most of the 2 channel sets have a battery holder for 4 AA Alkaline batteries which equals 6volts.
I would suspect that most receivers are designed to run off 6volts, but accept 4.8v.

Barrie

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 09:52:27 am »

I'm using 4xAA 2500mAh  nimh cells in a conventional battery holder.

Now there could be your problem - the battery holder. If you are using a nitro engine, is the vibration cusing the cells to rattle in the holder?
Do you put a band round the holder to secure them, are the contacts clean and is there sufficient spring pressure.
Any make or break due to cell rattle will activate your failsafe....We see this at our off road car track, that's why we recommend welded cell packs when ever possible.

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 03:32:57 pm »

Have used a 6volt 12 amp gell cell in the past to run the radio in a boat for charity over 24 hours, no problems.
Alan

barry park

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 04:21:48 pm »

Have used a 6volt 12 amp gell cell in the past to run the radio in a boat for charity over 24 hours, no problems.
Alan
I can trump that easy,Alan !
Saw a chap wiring a receiver in a club-owned boat to 12 volts , I said w.t.f. >>:-( .....he replied "it's a bec receiver".
Did it myself on a 12v 6 amp gel cell unintentionally {-) not long after cussing the last guy out. Caught it in time.

See the specs for receivers and servos . It's on Futaba and Hitec websites.
Most servos are actually good for even higher than 6 but some are listed for 4.8 nominal only.(coreless as Martin says)
Remember those 7-cell cars with wiper-controller feeding a bec receiver through a diode? It was all to supplier spec.
Stick with same manufacturer of receiver and servo or use futaba servos.
Go up to 6 or 7 and try running a Fleet or Acoms servo on a multichannel Futaba receiver. What happens?     It don't work !
Barry Park
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.