Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Racing at Regional/National Level - Electrics  (Read 1409 times)

TugCowboy

Racing at Regional/National Level - Electrics
« on: August 27, 2008, 02:42:45 pm »

Hi All,

A few years ago me and a friend had some great fun racing in some organised Club 500 races, which was brilliant. Really enjoyed the winning, the loosing and the breaking of much kit :D

I'd now like to add a bit more of a serious element to my modeling and as such would love to get back into racing again.
I'm only interested in electrics, I'd like to be able to practice as much as possible so I/C is ruled out in consideration of all the moaners these days - plus it keeps the costs down.

I'd also only really like to compete in mono hull classes, the sort of style seen in the Dateline Marine "Renegade Mk III" range - only obviously they don't do electric. Possibly be co-erced into trying Cat but I'm a big fan of traditional boat design and those things that look like wedges of cheese just really don't do it for me.

My local club runs ELECTRA organised races and I believe they have most classes catered for, however I'm currently unable to find an ELECTRA website that works.

What I'd like to know Is: what kind of kit am I looking at for competition level racing, What class is the best for this (apart from Club 500), what hull should I be starting with, engines and ESC's (I'd be building myself from a hull, or modifying a kit rather than scratch built.)

Obviously all within the rules of the racing and its entirely dependent on the driver etc.

I would probably be getting into the swing of things late this year once the boat is built an practicing over the winter. Depending how things go I'd like to attend all the races next year to watch while continuing to practice over the summer and then racing in the 2010 season. Unless I find myself possessing some divine skill at the whim of some genie and I enter next year.

Many thanks, in advance, for all your help and advice!

Alex

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
Re: Racing at Regional/National Level - Electrics
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 03:29:10 pm »

Try the "MPBA officials" web site there are names addresses and emails to contact for fast electric on there.
Alan

TugCowboy

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 04:22:31 pm »

Thanks Alan, I certainly will do that over the next few weeks but I was hoping for a little advice from fellow modelers first before I go asking questions of the MPBA.

Many thanks,

Alex

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 07:43:13 pm »

Try some clubs direct through their web sites, they may be able to point you in the right direction, a possible start is Southend MPBC, they have a few members that race in different classes in electra.
Alan

TugCowboy

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 09:58:05 pm »

Thanks Alan,

I'm going to my local clubs next fast electric meet on the 7th of September but I was hoping somebody on this site might have an idea of what the current kit used is.

I know from previous experience if you get people competitively racing then asking them about their kit at the side of the lake is usually not the best way of gathering information.

But hey...perhaps someone will pop in here and lend a hand.

Thanks again for your time,

Alex

omra85

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 10:37:15 pm »

Hi Alex
Although I don't do electrics, I see no reason why they should be different to any other branch of the sport/hobby.  I've never met anyone not prepared to give copious amounts of information to anyone interested (some even to people who aren't interested)!
The secret is HOW to ask.  It may seem obvious but the first 'rule' is don't disturb them while they're actually racing!  Then listen carefully and never think a question is too stupid to ask - no one is born a genius.  Oh, and don't pretend that you already know the answer, even if you do, otherwise why ask the question in the first place.  They will be happy to tell you all about it, most clubs are looking for new members so don't be shy!
As for the racing, again, don't be afraid to "get your feet wet".  The best practice for racing is to actually race.  Providing you don't veer all over the lake, you'll be fine.  Certainly don't leave it until 2010 to race - you'll have got fed up waiting by then!
Have fun and don't take it too bad if you don't win all of the time (voice of experience :-)
Good luck
Danny   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.