Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Got an issue with an item?  (Read 2300 times)

FullLeatherJacket

Got an issue with an item?
« on: August 26, 2008, 10:44:27 am »

Some time ago I was asked by one of the Forum Moderators to have my say about this matter. This was substantially my reply, which I now offer as a basis for further discussion. "No names, no pack-drill" as they say!

First of all, I have to say that I’m uneasy about anyone using the Forum as a sounding board for complaints although there have been certain disreputable traders whose practises should be brought to the attention of the members, if only to stop anyone else falling prey to fraud. However, as it’s an open public forum then there’s no way you can prevent complaints from being made. You can’t expect the moderators to glue themselves to the monitor 24/7 to ensure fair-play. So we must accept that it’s going to happen, and a set of guidelines would serve at least to explain to an irate complainant why his particular complaint had been deleted or moderated.

THE RULES ACCORDING TO FULL LEATHER JACKET

The Complainant (aka TC) must himself have purchased a product from The Trader (aka TT) at the offset. We want to air only genuine complaints – not opinions. In our view you can only complain if you feel you’ve personally been treated badly and/or left out of pocket. For example, in one case a Forum member made derogatory remarks about a product which he hadn’t even bought and a trader with whom he had never done any other business. As a adjunct, we also don’t want third-party “complaints” e.g. the “my mate had one of those and it was rubbish” sort of thing.

TC must be a regular and long-standing forum member. (How long?? Discuss).  We should avoid the situation where a pest or nuisance “customer” registers as a forum member solely to continue a dispute with a trader, but ramped up onto a public forum to intimidate or embarrass TT.

In every case there should be evidence that TT has had adequate opportunity to discuss and resolve the matter. To complain that a unit sent for repair on a Monday hadn’t been returned by the Friday is unreasonable, whereas a supplier who takes a customer’s money; fails to effect a repair for over seven months, and then is either abusive or just hangs up the phone on the customer deserves to be held up to the scrutiny of the Forum members. Of course, if the complaint hinges around TC being unable to contact TT or TT refusing to reply then my original point can’t apply!

TC must have complied with all written instructions, diagrams etc and also the terms of any guarantee.
The classic case of overloading an ESC or connecting something up incorrectly is fairly obvious, but there are other instances which can give rise to disputes. For example, I’ve been involved with a customer who admitted taking apart a user-unserviceable smoke generator “to see why it wasn’t working” and thereby breaking it (so we shall never know, and I couldn’t then return it to my supplier for credit). He then “slung it in the bin” and expected us to replace it FOC. In fact I did so, but then he started playing the “replacement never arrived” card. God forbid this sort of creature should ever get loose on the forum; there’s always the sanctimonious few who would actually take his side against the Great Satan that is the Model Boat Trade (billionaires, each and every one of us).

Any complaint which does not fully comply with the Forum rules regarding fairness, politeness and constructiveness (??) etc will be deleted without further comment.
We don’t want to entertain rants, unsubstantiated accusations or personal effrontery – that’s MY territory!!!!!!!

Over to you, people.

FLJ

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Got an issue with an item?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 03:24:43 pm »

This forum is not for 'venting your spleen' but we do encourage constructive and helpful debate.

We got to try and be fair to everyone here on Mayhem and as you know so we won't allow 'name and shaming' because you feel you been maliciously defrauded in some way. However, we have here on Mayhem warned members of potential or problematic traders only when completely substantiated and collaborated, the moderators and I will adjudicate that.

Mayhem can't resolve any litigation problems you may have but feel free to ask advice, seek guidance with the purpose of resolving the matter rather than vituperate a shop, service or supplier.

Martin - Forum Admin.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 04:01:45 pm »

As usual I agree totally with FLJ on this subject.....I have no idea whether I agree with Masrtyin or not as I haven't a clue what   vituperate means >>:-( >>:-(

RipSlider

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 09:13:24 pm »

Is this the same thread where Chap X was having issues with Item Y ( sorry, can't remember what they were ) and there was a discussion on whether to name and shame bad traders?

If so, is it just me, or has it been editted fairly significantly?

If it's not, where did that thread go?

I ask not becuase I especially love the thread, but purely to get a grip of the editorial policy on the site.

Ta

Steve

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 09:32:21 pm »

I think the post by FLJ constitutes a reasonable description of editorial policy. But we retain the right to look at each occurrence on its merits.  ;)

Colin

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 09:40:04 pm »

Is this the same thread where Chap X was having issues with Item Y ( sorry, can't remember what they were ) and there was a discussion on whether to name and shame bad traders?

If so, is it just me, or has it been editted fairly significantly?

If it's not, where did that thread go?

I ask not becuase I especially love the thread, but purely to get a grip of the editorial policy on the site.

Ta

Steve

Hi Steve
That dispute was resolved amicably, and the original poster asked for the thread to be deleted.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.