Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What a mistaka to maka...  (Read 2801 times)

barryfoote

What a mistaka to maka...
« on: August 28, 2008, 03:09:27 pm »

Okay well having caused mayhem on one thread it looks like some may feel justice has been done :'( :'( :'(

Having painted the hull of my springer last week, today it was the turn of above waterline. I masked the hull using high quality tape and sprayed away, using the same brand of paint as below waterline. No problem I thought and a good finish to boot. Within 5 minutes it was time to peel off the masking tape, but hang on a minute.....not the red paint underneath......Oh beep beep beep, what have I done wrong???

I think I know, but stand to be corrected. The red paint was sprayed over the top of a Matt varnish to seal the hull, but it was just an ordinary tin of Matt varnish, a different brand to the top coats, hence, I don't think they were compatible.....

I was not going to post this and show myself up to be a total idiot, but then no one will learn from my mistake........Just be careful out there  >:( :'( >:( :'( >:( :'(

Barry

Stavros

Re: What a mistaka to maka...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 03:17:58 pm »

Om oh my what a silly mistake Footski,time and time again I post on here why does no one take heed.The reason paint did not stick to the hull is simple NO PRIMER and poor rubbing down if any????? Oh well back to the drawing board eh!!!

Stavros

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 03:24:48 pm »

Sorry to see that Barry, it's a shame, I think we've all been there. But I do wonder about some modern paint formulations. I have just been decorating my bedroom and repainted the door and wardrobe doors (after rubbing down the old finish) with a Crown paint which is supposed to be suitable for interior wood and metal. Sure enough it went on beautifully. Next day, more than 24 hours later I went to paint the doorframes and to avoid getting white gloss on the doors decided to run a bit of masking tape down the door edge. Fortunately I tested the first bit I put on as the paint just came away with the tape. It seems to be a water based formulation which is like a plastic "skin" which is fine unless you scratch it. Whether it will harden off in time I just don't know but it's nothing like as durable as traditional eggshell.

Colin

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 03:45:37 pm »

Ah Another problem!!!!! Right then Colin all water based paints are a right piglet they need heat to dry and this is what the manufacterers DON'T tell you.Turn up the central heating and leave on max for at least 48hrs to dry

Stavros

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 03:48:48 pm »

Stavros,

Whats this "If any".....If I had rubbed it down any more the thing would have had holes in it >>:-(

I used the varnish as primer, but should have used the right sort.....Still kicking myself!!!

Colin,

We all have to live and learn....I now have alot of rubbing down to do to put it right..

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 03:54:03 pm »

Ah Another problem!!!!! Right then Colin all water based paints are a right piglet they need heat to dry and this is what the manufacterers DON'T tell you.Turn up the central heating and leave on max for at least 48hrs to dry

But it's "Summer" and my gas bill has just gone up 35%! Oh well, out with the hairdryer....

On second thoughts, how could I harness some of the hot air that's coming out of the Ellsmere debate?  :D

barryfoote

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 04:06:42 pm »

O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 04:07:13 pm »

True true Colin ,yes seriously a hair dryer or heat gun will dry it BUT be carefull as too much heat can cause shrinkage

Footski what you used was ok but ddi you use primer

Stavros

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 04:44:55 pm »

Next time give it a week before coats, well three days in your climate, and use low-tack masking tape but mostly acres of newsprint or wrapping paper to minimise tape use.
..well can you land on this?

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 05:08:31 pm »

O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
I know what you were thinking Barry, but could you get them all in one room at the same time. :-\
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.