Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thunderer 1914 book  (Read 2847 times)

Geoff

Thunderer 1914 book
« on: April 22, 2010, 02:13:22 pm »

There is a new book out of this tiltle and how to build a 1/96 scale model of HMS Thunderer 1914. I have just recieved this book and overall would coment favourably and recommend its purchase.

Good points
Very easy to read
Good descriptions and generally interesting narative
Interesting pictures - well illustrated
New methods shown - aeroplane wings in particular.
Excellent hull plate detail, but see below.

Bad points
No plans. I am familiar with this class of ship so no problems but a small A4 plan may have helped overall.

Overall a very fine model but I believe the builder may not be that familar with ships of this period because there are some oddities:

1) There would be no rivet detail on any of the armour. All armour was bolted on from the inside so there would be no fixing visible fixing details. The only exception to this was the turret roofs where extra plating was bolted on from the outside after Jutland - before Jultland the surface would have been smooth.
2) No actual anti torpedo net fitted albeit the booms and the like are nicely shown.
3) Excellent planes but they weren't added until about 1917 and yet the rest of the ship is 1914 hence the double search lights and anti torpedo booms. Also did Thunderer really have a plane on Q turret?
4) There does not appear to be an observation slit in the forward conning tower
5) No quarter deck detail - qualified as the pictures shown as final may not actually be final so this may have been added later, hatches skylights and the like. The same goes for the lack of coal scuttle holes arround Q turret - the coal has to get down somehow.

If this reads as a critique of the model it is not intended to be, just some helpfull pointers to ships of this era, it is still a very fine model indeed and the builder is to be congratulated. My own models are subject to much criticism but in this way we all learn how to improve our work.

Overall a really nice book if you are interested in the Dreadnought era.

G

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Re: Thunderer 1914 book
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 12:24:54 am »

Geoff,

Can you give us publication details, ISBN number etc?

Rick

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 03:10:33 pm »

It's by William Mowll (who I dimly remember spending many many months building a Great Britain (?) in Model Boats during the early 80's (??))

The book is listed on Amazon.

Andy

Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 11:46:12 pm »

Thanks Andy, I'll look it up. William Mowl (a vicar -  now retired I believe) did indeed build the Great Britain. He also produced a splendid model (1:48) of HMS Warrior.

Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.