Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Dreadnought  (Read 36383 times)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
HMS Dreadnought
« on: August 28, 2008, 03:52:07 pm »

Hi everyone,

I have re-edited and placed the mass of my build of HMS Dreadnought online.

For some of you it may seem vaguely "familiar" ::), but hopefully there's material there (and there is more to come) which might prove interesting.

I'll use this topic to announce updates.

If you'd like to comment on the build, there's an email address on that site. Or do it here. See if I care!  :D

Thanks,

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Dreadnought
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 11:46:17 am »

My HMS Dreadnought website has been updated to include all the information about my build so far, and it's been given a makeover too.  ::)

Regards,

Andy

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 12:04:35 pm »

Andy,

This site is like talking to a mirror - apart from Martin and Stavros we are all Andrews

Thanks for the links to your build - lovely work and ship, and thanks for the "reasons for scale" etc. 
I confess to a little disappointment you didn't go for 1:1 , but can see such a model (replica, remake new build?) might have some snags in portability.  It wouldn't even fit in a Grand Espace!

I have also passed the link to Cap - friend Joe in the US who is doing a USN destroyer at 1/35th and I think he will be inspired/encouraged by your build

keep up the good work

andrew

Roger in France

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 12:46:30 pm »

Wow,Andy!

Super Web Site about a superb build keep it going, I shall follow with great interest.

You other guys, take a look.....it is impressive and you will learn a lot and have great pleasure doing so.

Roger in France.

Martin13

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 12:31:24 am »

Had another look at Andy's build - left me speechless :-X

A truly amazing build -  Inspirational :)

A great site on "How To" build a model. Will come in very handy for my future 1:72 Battleship build.

Andy - you are incredible O0 O0 O0

Martin doon under

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 02:11:23 pm »

Thanks for all the kind words.

I should, in return, thank Ron for inspiring me with his HMS Iron Duke build, which I found inspirational, entertaining and extremely informative. And thanks also to Oz's Task Force 72, who work solely to the same scale.

Hey, we've got eight years until the 100th anniversary of the battle of Jutland. I might have finished building by then! How about how about a 1/72nd Grand Fleet get-together in May 2016?  ;D

Andy

Ron1

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 03:33:30 pm »

Hi Andy, mine is ready, yours is looking good, if im around one never knows,

warspite

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 04:55:15 pm »

I take it 1/72nd flower class vessels are not allowed

1. they did not take part
2. they were not around in that guise anyway (other than whalers).

BOOO HOOO !!!!!!

Martin13

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 12:25:23 am »

I should, in return, thank Ron for inspiring me with his HMS Iron Duke build, which I found inspirational, entertaining and extremely informative. And thanks also to Oz's Task Force 72, who work solely to the same scale.

Andy

Andy,

By any chance, are you a member of TF72  ??? ;) O0

Martin doon under

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 09:14:45 am »

Martin, if I wasn't 18000 km away, I would be!  O0

Andy

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 10:17:58 am »

New update - decking 7 - detailing the forecastle decking and the trickiest, most unpleasant and fiddly flippin' work on margin planks to date.

Andy

Martin13

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 12:47:15 pm »

Andy

We also have members in China, Canada, UK and Europe - what's your excuse ::)

Martin doon under

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 02:48:23 pm »

The commute to events:D

The Warspite book is being held for you, should you need it, other Martin.

One of the Andys

amdaylight

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 02:51:16 pm »

Andy

We also have members in China, Canada, UK and Europe - what's your excuse ::)

Martin doon under

Martin what about the USA ?

O0

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 06:46:19 am »

Andy,

Thanx for the update - the planking is impressive, and the joggling absolutely superlative ;D

Well joggled that man!

andrew

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 08:50:56 am »

Many thanks, err, Andrew. (Should we number ourselves?)

Thing is, and to resurrect another thread, I now can't help looking at my laminate flooring without thinking of how I would love to lay them diagonally across the rooms and do similar work at the edges!  ;D

Andy #1963#

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 10:13:59 am »

Joggler Andy*1963*

Thats a bad case you have there - if you show ANY signs of wanting to do purfling please seek nautical help immediately.
This and discussing plank joint rotations are serious indications

But beautiful work you are doing - please keep on and keep showing us.

andrewH*1949*

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 08:54:45 pm »

Gunnery!

On this page (which currently only seems to work in FF) I detailed how I can achieve realistic turret tracking whilst holding a course.

But that's not enough, is it?

IDEALLY, I want to set a bearing for turret pointing, and then - no matter what future course changes are undergone - the turrets would remain on target, go to "park" if they lost "sight", or move from park to "acquire" depending on what angle the set bearing is, relative to the hull's machinations. Make sense? (It would certainly look the bees' knees).

I've thought about this for some time (often during those mindless, cold and soulless hours of deck planking) and the word gyros popped up. Now, the inelegant solution would be to use a mechanical gyro, mounted with the axis horizontal, to plot and plan the turns of the hull, enabling the 'chip and software to turn turrets based on the initial input and feedback from the gyro. A "bit" of drift would be acceptable over a minute or so.

But that's too mechanical and clunky, so then I considered (for a microsecond) the elegant solution - a laser gyro, where light is sent two ways around a ring (not unlike the LHC) and the distance the light travels as the ring turns can be measured to determine turn rates. Perfect! But that would require selling the house, and a generator on the boat to both afford it and run it.

So...the mid-range option is a piezo-electric gyro, as used in model helicopters. Today these can have really low drift rates (less than 5 deg/minute) and are designed for vibration-rich and variable temperature environments. In a boat there's little to no vibration, and the benefit of consistant temperatures. So...I've emailled a long list of questions to a reputable maker of heli gyros to see if there's the perfect solution out there.

I'll report back once I hear from them - but awesomely realistic (and largely automatic) turret training might be on the cards - and at a couple of hundred quid all-in for hardware and servos, not out of the reach of affordability for those boat builders like me who seemingly take years on projects.

Andy

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 01:22:44 pm »

Andy
The LHC will ONLY JUST fit in your ship
andrew

dreadnought

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 08:18:40 pm »

Hi Andy
Just another question about Dreadnaought ,  Do you know if the boats that are nested have the thwarts removed from the bottom boat or not.  I would be inclined to think that it would depend on the size of the boats involved but I don't know.

Also in response to your query as to if my Dreadnought is powered or not.  It is just a static model.
I have built quite a few boat models and find most of them sit on the shelf under glass and never get their feet wet, so I dont power them any more..I also find that certain aspects have to be altered to accomodate the power and control which leads to loss of scale fidelity.

Dan (Dreadnought)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 03:22:02 pm »

I don't think so, Dan. Thwarts are pretty integral to maintaining the shape of wooden boats - I can't see that you'd take them out, even down to the 27' whaler.

Page 58 of the first edition of the AoTS book shows a photo of the 36' pinnace over the 42' launch, and the smaller appears to be resting on the thwarts of the larger.

The lower (bigger) boats certainly have shaped chocks - but it looks like the upper boats are simply strapped to the lower ones. Maybe their keels resting on a small block to avoid damage?

Regards,

Andy #1963#

dreadnought

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 07:26:58 pm »

Hi Andy,

Just a quick note to tell you that I have discovered how ships boats were nested.   While leafing through my copy of anatomy of the ship HMS Hood I found on page 125  Illustration  K/27 a drawing of the nested boats.  There is a portable crutch on the thwarts of the bottom boat and the two are lashed down together.

Dan (Dreadnought)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 02:36:10 pm »

Just surfing, as you do, when I found these wee gems.  %%

Now, has everyone got some popcorn ready?

Quiet when the lights go out!

Launch of HMS Dreadnought

Torpedo Attack on HMS Dreadnought. (Not quite as dramatic as it sounds, but there's some good destroyer and submarine shots - plus a few on-deck moments aboard the Dreadnought, from this 1907 silent film.)

Loads more early film at www.screenonline.org.uk

Andy #1963#

Capricorn

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 12:56:44 pm »

Andy, Great work, scale fidelity indeed.  Andrew did send me a link to your page but I can't seem to make the shockwave program install so I've been unable to see the demonstration of the gun director, do you have any photo's or other sketches you can post?  As Andrew said I'm building a DD and have been pondering the gun director for some time.  It never occurred to me to add the target tracking feature (thankfully), I've had a hard enough time with the basic pointing feature.  With my typical mode of operation I've neglected to inquire about this until too late, just yesterday I epoxied the base in for the "clunky" mechanical director in place and am dead set on it, but I'm sure I can still benefit from seeing what you've done.  I'm sure you know this but mini compasses are available that might be useful for keeping the guns pointed in a single compass direction, I have no idea how well they work (this is just one I saw on inet : http://www.trossenrobotics.com/devantech-magnetic-compass-sensor.aspx?feed=Froogle).  Also I'm not much on microelectronics and so forewent the microprocessor control (it's my fall back  O0).  Anyway great work, would like to see more.  Cap  (Joe)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 12:34:00 am »

Thanks Joe!!!

That compass sounds exactly like the device I need!!!  O0 If you've a problem with the shockwave player, try it on Firefox - or downloand the Flash player. But in all honesty I can't get it NOT to work.

Meanwhile, what I'm trying to achieve ... a couple of definitions first:

Heading - the angle of the ship's course from north, measured in degrees, clockwise from zero.
Relative bearing - an angle from the bow, measured in degress, clockwise from zero.

So ... a dose of pseudo code:

1/ During a sail, at some point I set the target's relative bearing on the TX. green 060, for example, while due to my bizarre rudder control I've ended up steaming NW (315 degrees).

2/ Using the compass, the microprocessor turns this relative bearing into a true heading. (Hey - target is 15 degrees East of North)

3/ When the turrets are set to "acquire" on the TX, they'll train to this relative bearing, if they can see it - if they can't see it, they'll stay parked or return to park.

Now the loop:

4/ As and when the ship's heading changes, the relative bearing gets updated, and the turrets can then track the target, or park, or acquire the target from parked positions as and when necessary.

The loop ends when the turrets are set to "fire" or "park" as decided by the TX.

Perfect!!!

The coding's a doddle using <£50 microprocessors - it really is. And the loop can occur hundreds of times a second without any trouble, meaning that the "following" of a target can appear constant.

Now, if only the attic would warm up and let me plank my decks again! I've still got a pile to do...

Many thanks,

Andy #1963#

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 22 queries.