Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tugboat Tiger  (Read 4601 times)

hama

Tugboat Tiger
« on: August 28, 2008, 10:47:30 pm »

Took my Seaport tug for a ride today. Made me once again think of how much fun this boat gives me at a low cost. I've had it for about five years now i think.
Hama.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Tugboat Tiger
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 11:09:16 pm »

Nice pics

Have you modified her?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

hama

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 11:26:06 pm »

Thanks!
Yes let me see, what have I done to her; RC-gear, new stanchions and railings, reduction gear to motor, took away some stuff on the deck, made the aft winch "retractable" by means of a spring coil, new waterpump, more ballast and therefore extended the airvents from the ballast tank out on deck, opened up windows, lights, paint job, fenders, probably something I missed. I just now realize that I said it was a cheap boat! But all things I put into  her were things I already had lying around, the RC gear was some thirty years old for instance. My daughter gave her the name Tiger, I like it, T/B Tiger!
Hama.

Weeds

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 04:13:59 am »

did you seal the deck?

hama

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 10:06:18 am »

Hello Weeds!
The deck has a rubber seal to the hull that works great, I've just added some grease to the joint to be sure. Also put some grease around the front hatch coaming every now and then. She is completely dry inside!
Hama.

jules64

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 11:14:26 am »

Hi Hama

Can you advise exactly which water pump you used? (Make, model and voltage)

I am still using the installed one and to date it works a treat, low current and no leaks.

Thanks
Jules64

hama

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 12:59:11 pm »

Hi Jules64!
Yes the original pump, a piston pump, worked great on my boat too until I maneged to break one of the connections and it started to leak. Thats why I replaced it. I don't know much about the pump, bought a cheap one from a car parts company. Its 12V but I run it on 9,6V, works very well.
Hama.

hama

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 10:10:04 pm »

Hello!
Thought it was time for a overhaul on my Seaport tug. Stripped the internals, took it apart to wash and paint. Installed new geared motor and a new speedcontroller as the old one was a "Bob's board". Sealed the ballast tank. Opened up the deckhatch and made the whole superstructure removable for better access. This time she has no lights or pump or anything fancy, just a motor and a battery. Just wanted it plain and simple this time. Still have some details to put back, but more or less done. She will soon be ready to meet the autumn storms.
I have a question for you, on todays testrun I realized that when the rudder is turned in one direction the rpm of the motor is going down quite a lot. She had this bug with the old setup as well. The radio is an old 2ch Sanwa, is this where the problem is? Or is the servo, receiver and speedcontroller to close to eachother?

All the best!
Hama
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.