Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caldercraft Motor Fifie - 'Amaranth'  (Read 5372 times)

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
Caldercraft Motor Fifie - 'Amaranth'
« on: August 21, 2006, 11:17:11 pm »

I would be very grateful to hear if anyone has any experience of building this model. And particularly any opinions on the accuracy and ease of build. Tried posting the request elsewhere to no avail (sorry Martin - must have had a memory lapse) but I'm sure someone here will be able to give some advice. Many thanks.

Andrew 

Cargo

Re: Caldercraft Motor Fifie - 'Amaranth'
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 09:24:12 pm »

I´m not quite sure, but it has a styrene hull. I think the kit is more for the "that not so experienced" builder.

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 09:42:31 pm »

Jan

Thanks for the response. I've gone and bought one and it arrived this morning. I think you're right in that it is a fairly easy kit for the less experienced builder - but the quality looks fine. It's just that I wanted a 'Fifie'! Reminds me of my youth. It's on the shelf for the moment whilst my Norbert Bruggen UB16 nears completion but I'll give a build report in due course.

Andrew

ambernblu

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 10:07:57 am »

... sorry to change tack ajg141, but you mentioned the Norbert Bruggen kit UB16 - I'm interested in his UB1 Austrian boat - is this the kit you have? Any info would be appreciated. Cheers, Brian

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 10:50:39 am »

Yep - same one. I haven't quite fathomed out why the plans show UB16 and the stand it comes with says UB1. Presumably there were variations on the original as time progressed. The kit (picked up from Norbert at Dortmund) is excellent although fitting the 2-part alloy ring into the 2 sections of the hull took a bit of doing as the fibreglass moulding was rather oval and the ring is round. The thickness of the fibreglass where the ring fits is also a bit thin - but I managed it after much worry, toil and sweat. The dive system uses a modified Engel tank - reduced in length and converted to 12v with the motor supplied. Not as difficult a job to do as you might think. Mind you the threaded rod that operates the micro-switches needed to be re-profiled after shortening to operate smoothly. The frame the tank sits in also needed a little fettling and strengthening. Everything is a fairly tight squeeze to get inside - but it has plenty of character and will hopefully perform well. I'll try and get some pics posted later - but in the meantime have  alook at:

http://modelluboot.de/

Andrew

ambernblu

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 11:10:28 am »

.. thats great thanks Andrew, I guessed that it couldn't be anything other than the Austrian U-Boat. I have quite a 'thing' for her after reading John Biggin's books many years ago (mentioned somewhere else on 'here'!) and yes, she does have loads of character!

I've been on Norbert's site a couple of times and this boat looks well under water on his video - unfortunately though due to other projected problems (new house boiler for one!) and another kit I have purchased, it will be Xmas before I can get around to investing in anything else model-wise... this kit is certainly high on my shopping list though, so any further build/completion/testing info for her would be very much appreciated...  ;)

many thanks, Brian

Cargo

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 11:10:38 am »

... but the quality looks fine.

Maybe you can post some pictures of the kit content.

AlanB

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 11:36:01 am »

Andrew

I built an Amaranth about 5 years ago and donated to the local church for a charity event, living in an old fishing village and all that.
It is quite an easy and quick built and makes a good looking model.
However, fitted with a 480 motor etc it was not a model that I would have sailed on the water.
Nice to look at and very authentic.

Alan

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 12:02:08 pm »

Alan

Thanks for the info. Pity I hadn't been at the church charity event! Interesting about the motor though. The plan recommends a 380 size but elsewhere I've read that a 580 is recommended. Any thoughts?

Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.