Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Slo Mo Shun build-up.  (Read 62012 times)

laserblue16

Re: Billings Slo Mo Shun build-up.
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2006, 07:37:21 pm »

If you want some acetone,,,pilfer the wifes nail varnish remover, fill the bottle up with water, and when she moans tell her to take it back and complain, when they give her another bottle, do the same and you have plenty and your wife gets banned from boots chemist, so you have more money to spend on your boats!!

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Barnsley Boy - gone South
« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2006, 04:15:44 pm »

Thanks mate, but I have some epoxy resin thinner now.  My wife's nail polish remover had other things in it - colouring, etc. :(

Ok, I've got a whole two days to myself!!! Yipee!
I heartily enjoyed sitting about in my underpants drinking tea most of this morning, I've just been for a nice big thrash round in the woods on my bike, and now here I am.
I've had a good go at the back end of the Slo Mo with finer micromesh stuff.  Slowly, very slowly, the misty effect is disappearing.  Be aware there's no light reflecting on the boat on this pic - the lighter areas are just where sanding the resin away has left it looking like this.  I told you it was a mess! 
The dark spots are areas where the surface rejected the resin when I put it on, there's a dip, and the wet&dry hasn't gone into the hole.

This is going to take forever.  I could be fitting motors by now, maybe even adapting the boat for surface drive like Ernie Lazenby's, or just finishing off the last little bits.  Instead I'm going to be rubbing, rubbing, rubbing.

By the way - is anyone from here going down to Black Park tomorrow? They have a regular meeting up there on Thursday afternoons I think. I have a day off.

Andy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2006, 05:11:46 pm »

Yep from midday - 1ish, for 2-3hours, depends on the weather

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2006, 05:33:52 pm »

Andy - I'll see you there mate! It'll be good to meet you. ;)

I took another couple of progress shots (mainly to give my arm a rest, it'll be like Schwartzenegger's before I'm done!).  Here's what I noticed as I walked into the room - it shows how bumpy the surface really is :(

And here's the back end after a good rubbing down.  It's not finished but it's on the way. The camera has reflected in the resin but hopefully you'll be able to see it's a lot lot better than it was an hour ago.  I can't get rid of the tiny white dots - maybe the surface is slightly pitted and there's resin dust in there.  I don't know what it is but it won't rub off.

The misty effect on the red stripes can stay - I'm not wasting time rubbing that down when I'm only going to paint red over it anyway.

Right I'm off to put some batts on charge for tomorrow - I'll take the Phantom down to Black Park! ;D

Andy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2006, 05:40:14 pm »

bring the Slo Mo along

kikkari

« Reply #130 on: October 04, 2006, 07:50:38 pm »

Hope you have a good days sailing, great to see the build back on the go!

If I could venture one criticism, I didn't need to know about the underpants thing :D

ambernblu

« Reply #131 on: October 04, 2006, 07:56:11 pm »

If I could venture one criticism, I didn't need to know about the underpants thing :D

I agree.... and also thrashing around in the woods on your bike in your underpants too...?  :o  What? In this weather...? Brrrrrr...  ;D

Seriously, hope you get this surface sorted soon - sad to say, it always seems the way when you've put so much effort into it too!  :(

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #132 on: October 04, 2006, 09:25:59 pm »

I spoke to a chap at the Swansea show a few years ago who had a very nice runabout and the way he did it was to  put it on, then   use a credit card to scrape most of it of andthen flat it off in between,  he said he would put on about 10 coats .. his looked like glass.   Peter

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: October 05, 2006, 10:06:39 am »

That method may well be of help, Peter, thanks.  I do think though that at this stage of 'being a complete mess', all I want to do with this resin is get the mess that's on now, as smooth as possible.  If I can do that, anything will be possible!!

And I feel I must defend myself about the underpants thing.  You must admit, it's one of life's little pleasures!  I find it very underrated.  I'd go as far as to say it's the right of every British male to occasionally find a quiet peaceful moment, and sit about in his pants dunking biscuits into his tea. Just a man, some tea, a packet of hobnobs, and some underpants.  It's a moment of solace - undisturbed and unmolested by the rest of the world whizzing past outside.  It's like 'zen'.  I have some of my best ideas whilst doing this!
Perhaps I'll try it wearing trousers later on and get back to you. ;D

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2006, 05:57:04 pm »

I went to Black Park even though it was raining pretty hard.  Everyone was just leaving. :(

Anyway. After sanding myself to paralysis of the arm, I looked at the rest of the boat, saw it was 10 times more bumpy and knackered than the bit I've already been working on, and decided drastic action was necessary.  There was no way on Earth I could do it by hand.  Readers of a sensitive disposition should look away now.....

As you were!!

Andy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2006, 07:10:34 pm »

Nice to see you have your trouser on !! did you get my PM

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2006, 08:51:27 pm »

Hiya Andy,
Yes mate I didn't want to find myself on a charge of indecency so I dressed for the picture. ;D
Don't worry about not being at the park, I almost didn't go either, as it was raining - I just decided last minute to go for it.  I work a weird shift pattern and don't always have weekends off and can't make this Sunday, but I'll try to get down there some time soon.
As for the Slo Mo, the plan is just to keep going, and try and stay patient.  Rough wet & dry, then finer, then finer, then finer again. It'll be finished one of these days...

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2006, 12:39:46 pm »

Hi.
Good and bad news, as usual!  Good news is I'm very gradually getting the bumpy crappy epoxy off this thing and smoothing it down.. The whole top of the boat looks fine now, which is the good news.  The bad news is that when you look up close at it, you can see scratches from when I had to bet serious with the thing and use big nasty sandpaper(Don't worry I didn't use the electric sander on the top, by the way!). No amount of me rubbing and rubbing seems to get through to them.  In fact in some areas I'm afraid of actually sanding through the resin back to wood.
I honestly don't know what to do!
I'm trying to look on the bright side though - all way through this build I've been coming up against problems I had no idea how to get around - and I'm still here building the thing, so I'm hoping some solution is going to present itself again somehow.

Maybe someone can help me with this one though:
To put more coats of epoxy on, do I have to sand each one right back to glass-like finish before putting the next one on?
I'm thinking that the coats I put on next will be thinner and runnier, with less actual epoxy going onto the boat, so they'll be less bumpy.  Why would I have to sand each one back?

Honestly I'm getting sick to death of all this sanding. Those micromesh cloths are only little and so incredibly fine it's like rubbing the boat down with a piece of leather. It's soul-destroying rubbing something back for 20 minutes then looking at it and seeing no discernable difference whatsoever to the surface.
Still I'll keep at it. I may have a right arm like a weightlifter by the time I've done, but I'll keep you informed... ;D

Have a good day. ;)

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2006, 12:53:01 pm »

Try thinning the epoxy about half and applying, then sand lightly to remove any bumpy bits and apply another coat the same way and you should end up with a smooth surface, but you will have to keep sanding it now till all the bumps are gone mate, it is a pain but the finished item will be worth it....

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

kikkari

« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2006, 08:18:23 pm »

Keep going, I'm sure it will be worth it 8)

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2006, 01:40:15 pm »

Been following progress for a while now and your perseverance is staggering.
My only advice:
 Make like a budgie my good modelling buddy :  Suck seed.

Pointy

« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2006, 03:21:39 pm »

You can do it!!!! 

Show me someone who's never been at the hair ripping stage of a build at sometime in their life and I'll show you a fibber! On my last build there were times when I thought I was going nuts- even dreamed about it but I got there in the end and in no small part thanks to the support and helpfullness of many on this forum.

Good luck dude!

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2006, 01:44:02 pm »

Hi everyone,
Just thought I'd let you know I was still alive!! ;D  I've not posted in weeks and weeks, due to lack of spare time, illness, moving house, and also because all I ever seem to do with the boat is sand the damn thing down anyway, so there's really nothing to report.
As soon as I have anything to show you, I will.  Just don't hold your breath - I'm tucked up in bed with tonsilitis now!!
Seeing what everyone else is up to on here is good fun though.
All the best, Julian.

masterripp

• Shipmate
« Reply #143 on: November 29, 2006, 05:22:24 pm »

Hey Julian,
I have enjoyed looking over your build, I have been building the same kit; started it in August. It would appear that it has been a challenge for sure. I am confused about something. Why the epoxy on the deck? When building a kit that is based on the actual boat I try to think as the original builder thought. You have included several great pics of the original Slomo, so I would think that you have done at least some research on the Slomo designed by Ted Jones and built be Anchor Marine in Seattle WA (my home town). The Billing kit has done a good job duplicating the original construction. With instructions as vague as these we need to think with the same mind of the builder. The decks on the original Slomo were nothing but mahogany and varnish (lots of it) and paint. I have owned a classic Chris Craft for the last seven years and can vouch for the beauty and protection that a good quality varnish can deliver.
I have experienced many of the same challenges that you describe here, which is a relief as I was feeling that my issues were due to operator error.
I will begin my own build post soon.
Hang in there!
Ripp

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2006, 02:18:43 pm »

Hi Ripp,
Nice to hear from you!  It's good to know that the problems I came up against have been shared by another builder - like you I now know that they weren't down to operator error!  How did you find the fit of the panels under the front?
Yes I did do a little research into the original SloMo, but perhaps I didn't do enough as I had no idea what finish was used on her.
To answer your main question as to why I used epoxy on the deck - the main reasons are explained earlier on in this thread, somewhere around page 2.  I saw a few other models where epoxy had been used and the finish was absolutely superb, it looked like glass, and when I asked people what I should use to get a finish like that, I was told epoxy.  Now that the epoxy is getting sanded back to a good finish on most of the boat I can definately state that it looks beautiful, and if I hadn't had the problem I did have with it 'reacting' and going wrong, I'd use it again.  It's rock hard, smooth as glass, and just as transparent.  Take a look at the Ferrari hydroplane I put on here earlier on, and you'll see the finish I'm after. 
This is only my 3rd model and by far the most 'involved', and I'm learning like mad as I go along.  This has been a very steep learning curve for me, and there are many instances where my lack of experience shows. I have no idea where i'd be if it wasn't for the kind people on here!
To back up the 'epoxy' way of building, the chap in Marine Modelling International magazine who built this model recently also used epoxy.  I just assumed it was a standard kind of method to use.
I was recommended that I put a few coats of epoxy on, sanding down well each and every one, but to be honest I just can't face it.  After this one I'm going to apply the decals and paint, and use varnish.  Well, I will if I ever get chance to do any more work on it anyway. Illness, my 3yr old, odd shift patterns, and house moves all conspire to keep me away from modelling lately!
Yes please do host your own build-up thread - I'd really love to see what/how someone else does with the model.
All the best, Julian.

masterripp

• Shipmate
« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2006, 08:09:03 am »

Hey Julian,

I have you to thank for figuring out how those DA@# plastic pieces work. You know you’re stumped when you begin dreaming (nightmares really) about the kit you are building. I knew were they went, and from carefully looking at the picture on the box I could see that the lip of them came over the cockpit, I just couldn't seem to see how the cutout on them would work, you must have just left about 1/8 around the edges?
I also have you to thank for a lighter wallet by about a grand, and another great kit to my collection. The Ferrari kit that you mentioned earlier in this post caught my eye, I am truly attracted to the flowing lines of the earlier hydro’s. If you read the description on this kit you will see that they have listed eleven coats of varnish and paint, as well as being sealed with epoxy. I have spent countless days applying varnish to a life size model (40 ft Chris Craft Challenger) and after about eight coats with sanding in-between you get a hard glass like finish. Rub on it some more, and apply a few more coats and you have the wet look that every yacht owner longs for. The same is true for the smaller versions. I cannot be sure, but the finish on the Ferrari looks to me to be just the eleven coats of varnish that is listed. As for the epoxy waterproofing, I have applied epoxy to my Slomo, from the inside. I attached only a few deck planks to provide stability to the frames (bulkheads) but leaving access to the bilges. Look for my post soon. I sure don’t mean to sound critical here, you have proven that you have what it takes to be a successful builder; PATIENCE! You have helped many people with you post, myself included.

RIPP

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2006, 05:30:21 pm »

Hi Ripp,
Yes I left about 1/8 around the edges of those white plastic things.  It's funny to look back at how stumped I was with them, because as soon as I worked it out it all seemed so simple.  Always the way, I suppose.
That Ferrari model truly is beautiful, it took my breath away when I saw it on that website (modelshipmaster.com?)  I think if I'd had more confidence I would've loved to build it, but as I've said many times I'm quite new to modelling and I'm certain I need a few more models under my belt before I tackle something like that.  Is it really about a grand?  Blimey! :o
Thanks for the advice about varnish - I'm seriously losing the will to live with this epoxy.  If it had gone on correctly all would be well and I bet I'd be nearly finished with the model by now, but it slowed me down and I admit to being completely put-off working on it.  I've even taken it out to start building, had a good look at how knackered it is, and put it straight back in the cupboard!  Even the 2nd coat I put on, the one that went on perfectly, ran down under the boat and made rock hard 'stalagtites' about 5mm long underneath - how the hell am I meant to get those flat? :'(
Had I known about varnish I'd have just put epoxy on the inside like you.
Thank you for your kind words, I will keep my eyes open for your post - if you get further ahead than me with the SloMo (which is more than likely!) you'll be returning the favour and helping me to finish!
All the best, Julian.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2006, 12:13:49 am »

Hi orby1,

You should not have trouble with the drips under the hull. Drips sand away easily, as they don't have much width. It's the larger flat areas that take the sanding. Course wet and dry used with soapy water should solve the problem. If you want a really quick fix for the drips, just run a hot soldering iron over them, and they will just about drop off.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO IGNORE THIS INFO, or try it first with some purpose made drips on a piece of scrap wood. It also sounds as if you were a bit to generous with the resin. I always use as little as possible to just get a coverage.

Regards Bob

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2006, 08:42:00 pm »

Hi orby1,

I have been pointed in your direction by other members of the forum. I have just started Slo Mo & like you opened the box and found no explicit written instructions, which to a guy with only 3 models under his belt was a real downer.

I e-mailed Billings and got no practical help only a referral to their general modeling tips booklet which of course is useless.

I am at a very early stage and have found your diary invaluable so don't you dare stop posting.

Keep up the good work, keep posting and I might just get there.

Many Thanks Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2007, 10:23:19 pm »

Hi Orby,

Long time since we heard from you, hope all is well.

With your help I have progressed quite well and was today looking in advance of what I am doing at what comes next, the cockpit. I am not sure were to go with this as there does not appear to be any dedicated materials (maybe I have missed something).

Would you or any one else have any info on the build of the cockpit.

Thanks Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.