Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Slo Mo Shun build-up.  (Read 62000 times)

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Barnsley Boy - gone South
Re: Billings Slo Mo Shun build-up.
« Reply #175 on: April 05, 2008, 09:15:01 am »

Crikey! 
Hi there Mayhemers, it's been a while!  Just to let you know I'm still alive.  I've been watching you all and lurking around in the background, following peoples' builds etc, but over a year's passed since I was last able to post on my boat thread!!!! :'(     It's just unfair!!!!!  I'm surprised the thread's still even here to be honest. :-\
Well, things are looking a lot more shipshape with our house and I'm starting to see a time coming up when I might actually have some free time to do what I like instead of what I have to do. You never know, that funny boat-shaped thing that's covered in dust on the shelf in the spare room might just see water one day after all.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #176 on: April 05, 2008, 12:22:05 pm »

All the best things in life are worth waiting for.

Your posts have been great. I have learned a lot from following your posts, your trials and tribulations and the advice you have been given from others.

I look forward to the next instalments.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #177 on: April 05, 2008, 01:06:23 pm »

welcome back orby. O0
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #178 on: April 05, 2008, 10:59:52 pm »

It's good to let the wood season gently.....  ;)

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: April 06, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »

Yes a very big welcome back Orbster.
I like yourself am stuck with things I need to do rather than like to.
Roll on retirement I say !!!

Mogs

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2008, 08:29:11 am »

Nice build one tip when using epoxy allways spread it on using an old credit card or similar ,never ever use a brush or it will go on too thick and dimple  :o.Im currently building a gas version of a classic thunderboat (roundnose) its a zippkits rocket powered by a fully modded zenoah 260 pum petrol engine.heres a cpl of pics of mine and of what the finnished model will look like apart from the colours of course.
Mart

Hagar

« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2008, 08:04:29 pm »

Sorry for dragging this up from the bowls of the celler, but I an dying to know what happend.

After reading the first 10 pages of this challenge, I am felling a bit lost that it just stopped :'(
The builder has overcome all forms of obstacles thus far, it would be nice to know if he did not let it get the better of him and that he finnished the build.

Not expecting the build to resume as it has been thus far. Just an explanation and prehaps a photo?

As i said, sorry for draging this up again, but as a new commer to the forum (and boat building) I have been using a few days to go through some of the more "in detail" subjects.
Some of which are a bit long in the tooth as it turns out.

Carpruncher

« Reply #182 on: September 23, 2008, 08:36:39 am »

Any reason I cannot see pictures.. Can only view one of real boat in dock. In properties this is jpeg, all other photo properties type are unknown.  Regards

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: September 23, 2008, 09:40:56 am »

no idea as all my pics are jpeg?

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: December 09, 2008, 07:13:46 pm »

Sorry for dragging this up from the bowls of the celler, but I an dying to know what happend.

After reading the first 10 pages of this challenge, I am felling a bit lost that it just stopped :'(
The builder has overcome all forms of obstacles thus far, it would be nice to know if he did not let it get the better of him and that he finnished the build.

Not expecting the build to resume as it has been thus far. Just an explanation and prehaps a photo?

As i said, sorry for draging this up again, but as a new commer to the forum (and boat building) I have been using a few days to go through some of the more "in detail" subjects.
Some of which are a bit long in the tooth as it turns out.
Hello all!
I just thought I'd have another look at Mayhem and at my old thread, for old time's sake! 
I feel pretty down about it, to be honest, quite sad. <:(  I really enjoyed building the boat and building up the thread, and when I moved house I just got swamped with work - heavy DIY and gardening.  We really did move into a wreck of a place and we're still sorting it out.  I've had literally zero time for boat building.
I took the old Slo Mo down from the top shelf a couple of weeks ago and slowly, sadly stroked that dimpled hull, wiping off a thick layer of dust.  She was calling to me to finish her!  It'll take a MAJOR injection of enthusiasm to take up the build and finish her as that epoxy really wrecked things, but I do fully intend to carry it on.
As for the pictures apparently disappearing, I'm not sure about that.  Maybe as I haven't used my photobucket account in so long they have deleted some of the pictures in it, I honestly don't know.
I'm sorry for leaving you all hanging on, I just don't have any time at the moment for boats.  I've been rebuilding an entire staircase...
One day I'll be back. ;)
Orb.x

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #185 on: December 09, 2008, 10:07:54 pm »

Dont you will have me in tears next  {-)

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: December 10, 2008, 06:47:23 pm »

Dont you will have me in tears next  {-)
I know! {-)
I'm serious though - I'd love to get the old Slo Mo out and carry on with it, I really do come over all gloomy when I see it covered in dust and neglected!

minnjoe

« Reply #187 on: December 22, 2008, 01:47:00 am »

Thanks for your postings.  I started my build last winter but because of a busy summer I didn't get back to it until now.  Your posts help me with a question I had about the engine compartment.

I understand the problem you had with epoxy.  I suggest the you remove it using straight edge or scraper rather than a sander.  It will go very quickly, with less damage to the wood and with less mess.  I use a utility knife blade but you can get larger scrapers from a woodworking store.

I was talking to Doug Campbell, the manufacturer of the classic shovel nose hydro.  He told me that the Billings Slo-mo-shon IV won't get up on a plane because the angle of the sponsons is wrong.  I attached a photo to show how I changed the angle using Bondo.  I would really like it to do more than plow around in the water like the videos I have seen on the net. 

Attached is a photo of my progress.  I stained the wood to make it darker, applied a 2 oz fiberglass cloth, gave it three or four coats of epoxy (sanding between coats) and gave it the first coat of several coats of polyurethane, finishing with 600 grit wet sand paper, rubbing compound and polish.  The red color will be the last to go on.

If you are trying to make your model to look like the original boat, there's a site that I found that has great pictures of the restores Slo-mo-shun IV:  http://thunderboats.smugmug.com/gallery/1963590_iDwTb#99836036_Ufhu9.

Tom

« Reply #188 on: January 06, 2009, 06:22:35 am »

Hello Orby:

I'm in the process of building the Billing "So-Mo-Shun 4" & am finding it quite a challenge. I'm an experienced modeller but the instructions are rather sparse. As a new member to the forum I was looking at your "build-up photos" last week & went back to them yesterday & today & only found blank spaces. I was looking forward to the details regarding the cutting out of the top of hull & how the driver compartment/engine cowling all fit together. I think your photos could have been helpful.

Is there any chance that they will be posted again?

Tom

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #189 on: January 06, 2009, 06:47:31 am »

Looks like there's a problem with Orby's pictures on MyImageHub... the links are still there in the post  but I guess not
on MyImageHub for some reason.
I use Photobucket, they seem very reliable up till now....

Taking of pictures, J found these of Slo-Mo and thought was a fantastic model.
After about 4 photos I realised it's the real thing!  :embarrassed:

http://thunderboats.smugmug.com/gallery/1963590_iDwTb#99836036_Ufhu9

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.