Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Slo Mo Shun build-up.  (Read 62003 times)

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Barnsley Boy - gone South
100 POSTS!! YIPEE!
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2006, 03:59:16 pm »

Well, we got to 100 posts! Sometimes I think the thread I'm building is doing better than the boat!
Anyway,  after a fine sanding and a coat of woodstain, we have this:

Right I'm off to buy some acetone - the guy in MMI thinned his epoxy down with it before putting it on, which might help me.
However, I just read post 36 on this thread and BobF says this:
"Other epoxy systems are available under different names. I have found that some others suffer from a problem called waxing, which stops further coats from sticking, and causes puddles to form in the finish. This can be sanded away, so could lead to a better finish as you have no option but to sand it well back".
Is this the problem I had? If I do another coat of resin, will it stick?  Bl**dy hell, here I go again, blundering on and just seeing what happens...

At least it looks like I may have rescued the problem I did have, and the boat looks a damn-sight better that it did before I started this morning.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billings Slo Mo Shun build-up.
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2006, 05:28:37 pm »

We have all been there....ok..maybe not to this degree, but it's nice to see your a fighter! If it was me i might have given up, but you have proved persistance pays.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!

Regards:Voyager.

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2006, 02:28:03 pm »

Thanks Voyager! ;D
I don't know about being a fighter, I think it's just that I've spent most of my spare days (which are very few due to work and family) building this thing, and it's taken me 8 months so far!  I carry on because I just can't face seeing 8 months' work go down the drain!
So I plough on!!
Anyway, I did manage to get a coat of resin on last night.  You'll be pleased to know that it went on perfectly well - no blemishes, misty areas, no anything, just nice smooth resin.  I have no idea what I did differently to the last attempt, but whatever it was, worked.  I did manage to get some dust settle on the resin and stick, but I'm hoping it will sand off with fine wet&dry.

What grade paper do people recommend I need for flatting this resin back?  I'm a stranger to wet and dry.  The finest I have at the mo, is 320.

Anyway, thanks for the crossed fingers Voyager, I think it worked! ;D
I'll post some more pics when I get some more coats on and there's something to show.
Julian.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2006, 02:41:05 pm »

Glad it went ok the second time! My local model shop ''Hannants'' sell Micromesh polishing cloths for polishing clear plastic kit canopy's, as you often get a injection moulding line. I purchased some a while back and it's worth every penny, it comes in a set of 5 assorted grade wet and dry polishing cloths, the grades are: 12000, 8000, 6000, 4000, 3600 + foam rubber polishing pad £8.99. This would be ideal for sanding the hull back to a super smooth glass like finish!

If this is any help, let me know and i can pass the shop details to you via this thread.

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2006, 03:11:20 pm »

Voyager,
Mate, that sounds brilliant - thanks very much.  If you can give me the details for the shop, I'll give them a bell - they may do mail order or something.
Thanks again,
Julian.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2006, 04:04:11 pm »

Just have to pop to my doctors, will give the details when i get back, and yes the mail order service is available.

Be in touch in 30/45min!

Voyager.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2006, 04:56:05 pm »

Ok..i'm back! Right...the shop is called ''Hannants''  which is in Hendon North London and the number is: 02082056697

You should ask for a Micropolishing set for polishing Aircraft canopy's, the price i have on my packet is £8.99.

Let me know how you get on.

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2006, 06:19:52 pm »

Thanks for the info, Cap'n! ;)
I rang, but they only do a postal service from their other branch (did he say Folkstone?).  I'm at work at the moment though and my boss is prowling so using the phone is tricky, and when I got chance to ring the right place they were shut. I'll have to ring tomorrow in my lunch break.
I just spoke to my dad though - he said he knew the sort of stuff you're on about and said I was onto a good thing.  He's used it for polishing marks out of perspex apparently.  I've also got something similar for polishing marks out of acrylic watch crystals.
Many many thanks again for the help!
I'll post pics of my results when I have some.
Julian.

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2006, 02:29:35 pm »

I've ordered some Micromesh, it should be with me soon. Thanks Voyager.

I had a look at the Slo Mo again last night.  The top is fine apart from a little dust, but the resin is so viscous it has dripped slowly down and formed rivulets of resin on the sides, and stalagtites dripping down off the bottom!
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH! >:(  I couldn't believe it!  It was fine when I went to bed the other  night, it must have very very slowly dripped down overnight and hardened!
I can't do the broken glass trick either, I'm going to get the Dremel out and grind the little bumps away one by one.
The problem is that SP113 is the consistency of golden syrup, and if it's going to drip, it'll do it so slowly you won't see it until it's too late, unless you're prepared to sit there watching it for hours.  I need to get some acetone like the bloke in MMI magazine, thin the resin down so it's runnier, so any drips or runs can be spotted a lot quicker.  Also I need to put a lot less on in each coat, so there's less there to run.

Sometimes I feel this boat just doesn't want to be built - it fights me every step recently.  Other times though I'm more logical, and I just remind myself that I'm using tools, materials and building methods I've never used before (sometimes all at the same time!) and I'm having to learn from my mistakes what the hell I'm doing.  I could do with someone more experienced looking over my shoulder, but the nearest I have to that is my dad 200 miles away, and you lot on here helping me out. 
Hey just think how much worse it would be if I didn't have you lot!! ;D

More pics as and when.
Julian.x

ps. Voyager, I noticed on another thread you mentioned Black Park club. Are you local to it?  I'm only in Beaconsfield. Maybe if you're a member I'll bring the boat down when it's done!

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2006, 02:40:27 pm »

Hi, no i'm not a member of Black Park, but it's an open park so all is welcome. I live 30/40min's away, so it would be great to see you and the boat there sometime! We are having a big gathering at Black Park (aprox 300/400 boats on show) on the 3rd of September, so if your free why not come along and bring your boat.

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2006, 06:45:29 pm »

Hello!
I think I'm around on Sept 3rd, I may be able to make it down to Black Park - I'd love to come along and chat to a few people. I'll bring my Phantom along for a buzz about too. It would be nice to meet a few bods from on here - put a few faces to names, you know?

I went to Wycombe Models today to ask about Acetone - they don't stock it, as apparently it's just nail polish remover!  I had no idea!
The nail polish remover we have in the cupboard is made of water, glycerin, acetone, bitrex, and colouring, so I don't think it would be suitable. Where can I get acetone on its own from?  Does anyone on here know?  Or can anyone recommend something else to thin down the resin?

GOGSAMWE

« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2006, 08:24:13 pm »

Hi Julian,

Just an idea of where you could find it ....

Our local Homebase and B & Q Diy sheds, sell it..  its not cheap about £8 a litre I think..

I saw it near the wood stains, treatment, waxes and similar stuff section

Would definately be cheaper in a model shop, if you could find one that stocks it.

Good luck
Steve 

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2006, 12:33:23 am »

Fantastic stuff, hope to see you there! I will PM you my number so as you can ring me when you get there, look forward to having a chat with you.

Regards:voyager

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2006, 05:15:16 am »

If thinning resin you can use methyanol and it is not that expensive, we used to thin our resin for covering foam wings on aircraft..

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2006, 03:50:45 pm »

Wow, thanks everyone for your help!
Voyager - thanks for the PM, I'll see you there! :D
I'll get shopping around for some acetone somewhere cheaper or methanol (isn't methanol a fuel? Should be easier to find some somewhere like model shops maybe). Meanwhile I await the micromesh stuff, and have bought some fine-ish wet & dry 600 grade. With those two I should be able to get the results I want. So thank you again for the info everyone.
Unfortunately for progress on the Slo Mo, I have a long stint of work coming up, followed by a short break away in our caravan - meaning there won't be a lot of time for messing about with boats for a couple of weeks!  I'll get back on here the moment I have anything to show you (or ask you, more like!).
Have fun, fellas.
 ;)

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2006, 11:32:02 am »

Just a quick post to thank Andy on here for PM-ing me with a link to these guys:     http://www.fibretechgb.co.uk
I've had no luck at Homebase, model shops, or anywhere like that getting acetone or methanol, until I rang 'Fibretech' and they have 500ml of pure acetone, or 'epoxy resin thinners', whatever that can be, both for £3.00.  Bargain.  I need to send a cheque as they have a £10 limit on credit card transactions, but I'm in no rush, that's fine.
I bought the 'epoxy thinnners' instead of acetone because as I want to thin-down epoxy, epoxy thinners sounded like the best option! ;D
Andy also mentioned he'll be going to Black Park and I'd be able to pick his brains about brushless motors.  See you there matey!

Julian.

ps.  BTW, I did ask the guy at Fibretech if he could throw any light on the mottled crappy result I got with the SP113, as I thought he may know a thing or two about resins, but he had no idea - it remains a mystery. ???

Andy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2006, 04:34:31 pm »

I'm there most Sunday Julian so pop down whenever you like.

Andy

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2006, 10:23:07 pm »

I now need to thin epoxy for the first time, can anyone indicate roughly how much to thin by just to make the epoxy a little less thick?

Thanks

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2006, 12:53:20 pm »

Hi All,

I have hesitated before posting again as Orby 1 had problems after using my last one. (In my defence, I did say a light misting of water may help stop the strips from curling.)

I use epoxy regularly and thin it with various types of thinners. De natured alcohol if you can get it, but this is only meths withought the smell and colour added. Also cellulose thinners is OK. When I am sealing a hull, I use finishing resin thinned 50/50 with a light sanding between coats on external surfaces.

Please feel free to ignore this posting Orby.

Regards BobF

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2006, 08:41:40 am »

Hello fellas.
I've been away quite a while - on holiday, at work, being busy at home trying to move house, etc. So apologies from me, I've only just seen the last 2 posts. :-[

1. BobF, don't worry mate I wouldn't ignore your posts, I didn't mean to imply your advice about wetting the mahogany strips was wrong, I think I may have made them too wet and literally swelled the whole thing instead of just one side. One of the reasons I started this thread was to ask advice from people like yourself who know more than me, so please continue to advise!

2. Boatmadman, on returning from my holiday last night I found a parcel of resin thinnners from Fibretech. As for how much thinner to use, I only had a quick look at the instructions, but I think it said 1 part thinner to 5 parts resin.  I will need to double check this tonight when I get home though, so give me 24hrs to confirm!!

3. Andy and Voyager,  I was really sorry to miss the Black Park Regatta.  I was looking forward to meeting you and others, and chatting, asking about motors (in fact asking about pretty much everything! ;D) etc.  Unfortunately we got chance to go away on holiday a few days early, and we took it.  I had to miss the regatta.  I do plan to go down there on a Sunday morning soon though and make an effort to chat to the gang.

I haven't touched the Slo Mo in what seems like ages - I get so little 'free' time.  I now have the polishing cloths from Hannants though so along with the resin thinnners I can really crack on with it all the 1st chance I get.  It's obvious from looking at the cloths though, they are extremely, amazingly, incredibly fine.  Even the roughest one just feels like a normal peice of cloth! The finest is going to be like rubbing the boat down with a strip of leather!!!
I need to start with quite smooth-ish wet and dry paper first, then the smoothest I can find, then the cloths.  Whatever happens, my results will be posted for your information and entertainment on here!!
Have a good day, people.
Julian.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2006, 09:08:08 am »

No problem, there is always another day! To be honest with you, you should find added enthusiasm and fresh ideas after a spell away from your boat, it often works for me! Glad your happy with the polishing cloths, expensive but well worth it. I have also noticed a variety of rivet heads in plastic ranging in different sizes from Hannants, should you wish to add detail to the engine these would be great. They also do photo etched seat buckles, not sure if you want to super detail your boat to this degree, but they do look fantastic and would add a nice touch to your model.
Look forward to seeing more posts!

Regards:Voyager

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: September 12, 2006, 12:14:29 pm »

I now need to thin epoxy for the first time, can anyone indicate roughly how much to thin by just to make the epoxy a little less thick?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,
I can confirm the instructions in my thinners say to mix epoxy and thinners in a ratio of 5 parts to 1 as I previously guessed.
Julian.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: September 12, 2006, 12:16:54 pm »

Great, thanks for that.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

kikkari

« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2006, 01:19:54 pm »

Hello - just thought I'd break cover from my usual lurking on the forum to say how much I've enjoyed your build thread (here and on the modelboats forum).  I've been following the build for a while and I was really choked about the problem you had with the epoxy. 

I look forward to you coming back and giving us a happy ending ;).

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2006, 06:09:33 pm »

Hello - just thought I'd break cover from my usual lurking on the forum to say how much I've enjoyed your build thread (here and on the modelboats forum).  I've been following the build for a while and I was really choked about the problem you had with the epoxy. 

I look forward to you coming back and giving us a happy ending ;).

Hi Kikkari,
Thanks for the kind words!  I haven't been on here for a good while now - mainly due to not having done any major work on the model and having nothing to show! :( 
I did have a free morning earlier this week and had a go at the bumpy epoxy, but it was pretty soul-destroying to be honest.  I got stuck into smoothing down the back end, and after going at it with wet and dry, it just looked like a bl00dy horrible mess.  Fortunately I then spent an hour rubbing it down with the micromesh stuff (I still can't feel my arm) and I brought it back to a level I'd describe as just "a mess".  Due to how fine the cloths are, there are no visible scratches, but the whole surface just has a 'smoked' effect, if you know what I mean.
Perhaps another hour or two with the finer cloths can bring it back to shiny smooth CLEAR epoxy... Hopefully.  However what I can't bear is the fact that even if I can rescue it, I then have to build up this epoxy with more coats, and do it all over again.  And again.  And again.  And I spent the good part of a whole morning just on the top of the rear of the boat - how long can I expect to spend rubbing this stuff down? With how scarce my free time is, I'm looking at months of rubbing. Months. 
I have to admit I've been near to admitting it might be beyond rescue, and packing it in.
However, I'm about to move house, I'll be very busy over the next few weeks, and I intend to put the boat to one side and try not to think about it for a bit. Then when I can come back to it I'll have had 'a while off', and I'll be ready to go at it again.  That's the plan, anyway. :)

On the bright side - our new house is going to have a hobby room!!! Whooppeee!  No more building boats on a fold-out table in the lounge!!

Thanks again for the encouragement, Kikkari - as soon as I have something to show you, I'LL BE BACK!!
Orb.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.