Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: STEAM BOAT MUSEUM SHOW.  (Read 1765 times)

Ron1

STEAM BOAT MUSEUM SHOW.
« on: August 30, 2008, 01:00:46 pm »

Re: EPIC show report
« Reply #51 on: Today at 10:51:10 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MALCOME READE SAID

RON1

In all of the years that we attended the shows at the Ellesmere Port Boat Museum, we always dealt directly with the Museum itself (Christine Parker) with regards to space allocation, stand fees etc.

To be honest, we weren't even aware that there WAS a Committee, other than that Keith Crabtree was a member of one, until the Boat Museum shows were a thing of the past and you guys started the shows at Birchwood.

Did the Committee ever actually have any authority/remit as far as the traders at the Boat Museum was concerned, or was it just to organise the clubs?  It's a new one on me if they did?

Malc

From the sounds of it you came as a trader at least 11 years after we started the show,

Annete Franks was the traders contact, she married one of the commitee, after they and Tony Hurst the Museum Directore left and the water ways company took over the show went in to decline,

The commitee organised the clubs and stands, annete looked after the traders.

The commitee came from the clubs in the area

New brighton
Liverpool
Runcorn
Haigh hall
The boat club from the museum.

WE did 14 meetings a year, at the museum, for 11 years, we never took a penny for our troubles, we enjoyed doing it.

We very rearly got any acknoledgement, thats why very few people had any idea.

As for birchwood, I have no connection with the organising commitee, I attend with The model ship society.

Reade Models

Re: STEAM BOAT MUSEUM SHOW.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 06:34:15 pm »

Ron1

You are quite right Towmaster, In the early days we had over 30 clubs, and 30 traders, it droped a little bit as the museum put in new displays, as for the money you are again right, two shows cost £7-00, but there is no were that can hold that number now in the area , unless they have very limited space.

Please accept my sincere apology.  From your post on the other thread, I had assumed that you were a member of the Committee for the Boat Museum shows, who seem to be much the same good folk who organise the Birchwood event - you seem to speak with such an air of authority (regarding the Boat Museum) on the matter?

As I remember, Reade Models (Reade Plastics as we were trading then) started attending the shows around 2003?  The March show that year at the Museum was our very first public event.  For the previous 55 years we had only supplied the wholesale model trade, RipMax Marine, Veron, and in latter years Lesro (fittings packs for Robbe kits etc. in Germany).

The Museum shows may well have been in decline at that time we started attending, but we have no earlier experience to reference.  Certainly the shows that we did participate in were very well attended between the time we started and the closure of the Museum for renovation.  I just wish we could be back there...

Regards

Malcolm Reade

Ron1

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 07:21:56 pm »

Hi Malcolm, It seems you came to the show as our commitee left, we started in 1991 , and left 2002,

We organised the security, picked from the clubs, we sat round a table all 14 of us and organised the best show in the country as far as model boats go.

My self im a builder of 55 years in the trade, so to help out I sponcered plates, at £50 a year.

Reade Models

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 07:50:44 pm »

Hi Ron

Nice plates...

Are you the RonH as was on this Forum (Ron Horabin) also noted on the plate, the gent with the rather special model warships?

Regards, Malcolm

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 08:07:55 pm »

Slight error in the title of this thread I think. Ellesmere Port isnt refered to as a "steam boat" museum.  I`ve only been twice but it was a great show and a very suitable venue in my opinion. The Steamboat Museum is of course at Winderemere.
..well can you land on this?

Reade Models

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 08:20:04 pm »

I am aware of that, but not having started the thread, I didn't want to split hairs...

Regards,

Malc

Ron1

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 10:20:03 pm »

As I wrote this thread quickly,  YES your right in a way, It was called the BOAT MUSEUM as on the plate, but all the canal boats were steam, so I always regard it as the steam boat museum at Ellesmere Port.

The one at Windermere shut down a few years ago, we always supported that one also.

Yes Malcolm tis I with the large warships. I had to change my name twice through a certain person that was on this site. It was  Martins idea.

Reade Models

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

Ron,

It's good to find you again.  Been a long time...

My best regards,

Malcolm

Ron1

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 12:07:03 am »

Here,s my latest, very few have seen this on here, its USCGC DUANE 1943 at 1/72 scale, not finished yet, glad you rememberd me O0 O0

Reade Models

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 06:42:48 am »

Ron

Your model of Duane is going to be a nice one when it's finished.  I like the camo colouring.

Regards, Malcolm

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.