Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mountfleet admiralty coaster  (Read 3975 times)

typhoon

mountfleet admiralty coaster
« on: July 26, 2008, 01:57:27 pm »

hi everyone
can anyone tell me what kind a job these coasters did when taken over by the admiralty. was they armed etc. any information would be appreciated

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: mountfleet admiralty coaster
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 03:53:25 pm »

Have you looked on Mountfleets Web site its all there.

http://www.mountfleetmodels.co.uk/admiralty_coaster_c642.htm

O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

farrow

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 09:48:42 pm »

Hi yes the seagoing coasters where armed and painted grey in times of war, there was hundreds of them of all shapes and sizes. There was store carriers, oilers, water carriers and ammunition carriers. They were all collectively owned and operated for POST(n) or in other words the Naval store system. In peace time they were unarmed where painted black hulls and buff upperworks. Most were called C plus a number, although the RNAD and the water carriers had names. The officers had uniforms and it operated like a private navy. I have several photos of old coasters of various kinds but this site says it all comes to too much memory to download. If you have any particular type you want let me know and I will see what I can do. The history behind the these boats goes back to the old original dockyards and sailing vessels a very old and honourable history.

farrow

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 09:51:19 pm »

Here are a few pics.

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 10:13:17 pm »

Hello rmasmaster,

Do you have any more of these excellent admiralty coaster photos that you could post? I have a model of "Clanity" so these pictures are particularly appealing.

Cheers
Simon  :D

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 10:17:14 pm »

Sorry rmasmaster! Just realised that you were having problems down loading the photos due to size/memory restrictions.

Simon  >:(

farrow

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 10:18:11 pm »

Hi, well I did post some pics with a brief history of the vessel Bedenham, but I was timed out this time and well if i feel upto it again tomorrow I may have another go!!!!!

farrow

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 09:07:37 pm »

Hi, here are some more pics, mainly RNAD though. There is a nice pic and a annotation in Londons Lost Riverscape by Chris Ellmers and Alex Werner of the Woolwhich depot and a coaster. In which a fellow in 1932 describe them as black hulls and black upperworks with a buff funnel, their ensign was blue defaced with gold gun barrels.

farrow

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 09:15:01 pm »

I have two good pics of the Throsk and Bedenham in the war period showing thier armament, but unfortunately they are loaded as word MDI files which are too big to download on to this sit, I will try to find a way round this and if I do I will upload to this site. A very good friend of mine was on the Throsk during the war and when I asked him about the 12pdr aft they had if they ever used it in anger. He smiled then laughed, as he said it was a useless pea shooter and when they where up in Scotland during an air raid the Skipper when asked said do not fire that gun as it will probaly only attract unwanted attention from them.

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 05:35:58 pm »

Thanks for posting the extra photos of the coasters rmasmaster; very nice!

Cheers
Simon  8)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 10:09:22 am »

There are also a large number of old coaster pictures at rhiw.com.  I have downloaded a lot of them for reference with building my own Mount Fleet kit and they are superb for details of weathering and finishes.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.