Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: As seen on TV ...  (Read 43177 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
As seen on TV ...
« on: September 02, 2008, 07:22:02 pm »

hi there

Has anyone seen the advert for a new Channel 4 programme, where they are documenting the teenage childrens' embarrassment of their parents.    Judging by the opening sequence - where one sees a teenage family who are looking 'down' at their father in disgust - because he is holding a Model Boat in his hands.

I wonder if this programme is going to try and depict all forms of modelling etc., as a form of weird geek thing - where we should all be locked up - got me annoyed - I am really looking forward to seeing this programme.

If they are trying to say that all of us modellers are a bit 'childish' and have yet to put away our 'toys' I think channel 4 are going to get a GOOD BLASTING.     In all my years of modelling, I have only ever came across one person whose wife looked down upon him for model boating.   She frowned upon him; because of his love of model boats and especially fishing boats......as her idea was since she came from a 'hardened' fishing family from Seahouses; his hobby should entail something with a little bit danger in.   Pleased to say my wife or indeed any of my family do not & have never reacted like that because of my hobbies.

My late dad who was into boat building and fishing used to say to me - the smaller the scale the smaller the problems - stick with the model boats my Son  O0 O0

Keep on Modelling - and let us see what this Channel 4 programme spews up.  :P :-X

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New Channel 4 Programme on TV (UK)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 07:28:13 pm »

TV people like taking the mick out of things they don't understand. Anything for a quick laugh, ignoring the fact that to get kids interested in doing something creative and lasting instead of playing computer games must be a real benefit to their personal development.

john54

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:07:57 pm »

HEAR, HEAR

TugCowboy

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:15:13 pm »

My girlfriend thinks I'm a massive geek for making model boats, and aircraft and cars and railways. She also thinks I'm a geek because I used to code computer programs and because I like to play the occasional game myself. Oh and when I go fishing thats "sad" too.

However its perfectly ok, of course, for her to go on ruddy facebook.com for 12 hours a day sending her friends messages.

Know what? I really don't care! because my hobbies are "me" time, and whatever happens in me time is for me and nobody else.

I personally think that people who like premiership football have the wrong idea about how to get wound up over something and have a good time. But they probably disagree, doesn't matter because I have my hobby and they have theirs.
Can you just imagine if everyone in the world was a marine modeller? it would be entirely unoriginal and boring.... so lets hope they continue to see us as sad geeks and then they will leave us the hell alone.

Bring it on Channel 4 ;)

Alex

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 11:32:13 pm »

I started back into Marine modelling last year after surgery. I find it very relaxing and could careless about what others think. As there is not alot on the telly, considering we've got Sky, I figured I might as well do something creative. Television has lost all perspective with reality, when they have to create their own reality show, Society is a social construct and it is the individualism of 'sad' folks like us who put the word 'social' back into a correct context on our own terms.
As for footy, well I do enjoy the game, but as most professional sports, its gone the way of the absurd. But until they close up the local youth leagues, I'll support the sides and watch some of the millionaires earn their keep, stardom doesn't last long in sports. Hope they enjoy it. {-) {-)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 11:45:19 pm »

My girlfriend thinks I'm a massive geek for making model boats, and aircraft and cars and railways

Thats strange, Mrs Toes has her own boat (Springer) and activly enjoys sailing it.. and competing in tug competitions!.

She also activly encourages me in building and comes up with ideas that i can add to the boats.

Also "Hear Hear" to Colin B's comment!..

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 09:52:43 am »

Hi there All

Totally agree with the comments made - I wonder if any of the television companies have ever thought about making a Serious series about general modelling and it may surprise some folk - We on Mayhem belong to one, if not the oldest hobbies in the world - when they opened up some of the ancient tombs they found model boats.   Long before the birth of Christ - makes ya think......eh....I wonder also if the General public realise that if it was not for models/model builders there would be very few of them going on an aeroplane, because as wel all know before a plane is built - there is a model built/several models built for wind tunnel testing; along with other models that are built of motor vehicles etc., to test them

So....take away the modelling experience and ...... the rest is history

aye

john e

bluebird

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 10:16:14 am »

With Channel 4 being famous for big brother and The Word, I doubt that will be very good watching!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 10:53:26 am »

There were a few modelling series that aired on Sky a few years ago but as they didn't stress mass hysteria they never really caught on.  Doing something creative lacks the "excitement" of hearing something break, actually gaining a skill is something best avoided by the masses, or, at least, that is the perception of individuals within the masses, and this is stoked by the media.
Perhaps BB could be revived by dumping evictions and going for ritual disembowelling a chose contestant instead? Not that reviving it would be a good idea.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 05:36:43 pm »

I am afraid we are still regarded as' big kids playing with toys' and are viewed with disdain by our 'betters. In the dumbed down society in which we live,  there would appear to be more interest in programmes like' Big Brother' where apparently you can tune in and watch someone asleep in bed so we are unlikely to see tv companies turn to something which requires knowledge, skill, craftsmanship and technical abilities such as ours. The populus appears to be more interested in watching something break rather than being constructed as it is more dramatic and therefore makes for better viewing figures.
I once heard 'art' being defined as 'the creation of something for its own sake but with no practicle use'. Things such as paintings and sculptures definately fall  into this category (unless they are hiding a hole in the wall or something) and are reveered and highly valued by all and sundry and indeed there have been countless tv programmes devoted to it. Our hobby generally could be regarded as having no practicle use and many boats, aircraft and the like which are not a true model of of any particular full size prototype would fall into the category of art, given the 'art' definition, so why are they not considered as such? Why aren't exquisite scale models, worthy of museum status also given a back seat in favour of so called art by the tv companies?
The truth is, the nation really has been dumbed down to the point where moronic behaviour and  bad attitudes seems be more prevailant than education and skill. The tv world is more about 'look at me, see how fabulous I am', rather than 'look at my wonderful creation which required knowledge, skill, craftsmanship and devotion!! .. That just isn't 'good tv' in this day and age. So much of popular tv is purile rubbish and can only be regarded as shallowness in the extreme.

djrobbo

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 06:58:33 pm »

GRRRRRR!!!!!!!! not again,,,,,,,,,dont get me started >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(    still if they are having a go at us , they are leaving the railway boys alone  !!!!!.
   i always feel that these numbnuts always ridicule something that they can't do themselves..

regards........bob

swordfish fairey

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 10:01:18 pm »

We got rid of our tv 5 years ago, it was the best move we ever made. We got so fed up with the endless drivel that was being put out by all the channels. My wife and I actually talk to each other now >>:-(, read books and there is also plenty of time to do something creative, like modelling :D. Of course we have been threatened/harrased endlessly by the tv license people, but that's another story... :-X.................Smudge

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 11:12:42 pm »

With reference to the above statement regarding the breakable society which tv emulates, the scholastic types refer to this as 'the McDonaldization of Society'. Spent good money at university to learn that, what a waste, any fool can see we live in a throw-away world, get a puppy at Christmas and when they walk him down to the park without getting proper shots and he gets sick, throw him away. What a world, as far as the model boat community not producing something worthy enough to be called Art, I would beg to differ, every month the magazines which cater to our hobby are full of Picassos and Monets, only going under the guise of all of us who hone the patience and skills to produce our vessels.
The phrase ignorance breeds contempt comes to mind, those who cannot do, critisize, and hence comes the breeding, we best be careful as this attitude of contempt is snowballing at a rate directly proportional to computer technology, which while we see this technology as a benefit, most abuse it for whatever they can achieve with doing as little as possible.
Right rant over, have to sort out the mess the dog made now, by the way, fully vaccinated and had his first walk in the park tonite. Bless O0

andyn

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 11:15:44 pm »

Re. The above, see my Squirrels and Grasshoppers thread in 'Humour'

smiffy

Model/Modelling/Modellers World on TV - Leander Class Frigate Plan
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 09:44:27 pm »

Hi Peeps,

I'm trying to relive my youth and desperately searching for some plans from a TV programme in the late 70's early 80's. If my memory serves me well it was called modelling or Model or Modellers world. It covered all sort of modelling subjects and came with a book that had 3 plans in it. The plan I'm looking for is a leander class frigate. I made one with my Dad and it was very simple and straight forward to build so I'm wanting to have a go at it with my son  :-))

If any one can help we shall forever be in your debt :}

Mental Note To Self - NEVER throw anything away  <:(

Stavros

Re: Model/Modelling/Modellers World on TV - Leander Class Frigate Plan
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 10:05:34 pm »

Right then you are in luck in one way but not in another just found the book in question But unfortuantly the one plan that you need is missing BUty all is not lost as look at what Uncle Stav has found for you happy bidding

Ebay no 370183308755 

Stav

smiffy

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 10:17:07 pm »

UNCLE STAV - YOU ARE A HERO :-)) :-)) :-))

Its all come flooding back to me - the Sea Rider!!!!!

Many Many Thanks - I feel a build coming on  O0

Mark47

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 08:38:52 am »

UNCLE STAV - YOU ARE A HERO :-)) :-)) :-))

Its all come flooding back to me - the Sea Rider!!!!!

Many Many Thanks - I feel a build coming on  O0

It was at £6.50 the last time I looked. I was going to bid for it to do it with my son, But the missus says NO, can't blame here I've got a Trent on the go, just cut templates for a Fairmile D 1:32 last night, gathering materials for a 1:72 Leander (got the hull), 1:72 Type 42 stretched (got the hull and plans), half way through HMS Campletown 1:96. O0

Mark

EDIT- Happy bidding, may be if you win I can get a loan of them from you, or a copy?

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 09:27:16 am »

I made one of those. Shortly before my "O" levels. Ummm...thirty years ago this year!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 09:39:00 am »

I built one of them as well, and very well it sailed too, considering it was a balsa box job. I connected the gun turret to the rudder servo for a bit of fun, and then spent more time scratch-building a tiny Wasp helicopter for the helideck. Looked a treat on Derby's Markeaton Park boating pool.

Then my daughter dropped it down the stairs one day and wrecked it totally.  :(( {:-{

Such is model boating life.  <:(
Regards
Kit

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 10:17:22 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wJ87BPlaD0    :-))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF-CV6Zaxic   :-))

didn't mean to high jack your thread I think this is the programme

Bob Symes has a site find it through gooogle search

smiffy

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 10:09:22 am »

Thanks for the info peeps  :}

Had a look on Ebay Stav and it finally went for £25!!!!!!!!!!   %%   

So, Plan B, can you recomend some plans of a similar nature. I'm reasonably competent at making wooden models but I need it to be simple and straightforward and not too fidely so that my 7 year old boy can have a go at building it with me. I've been searching t'internet but its difficult to know how suitable the plans are.  {:-{

I'd appreciate any suggestions,

SMIFFY :-))

GG

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 10:47:54 am »

Modesty ought to prevent me suggesting the "Paladin" plan, published in the Oct 05 issue of Model Boats and plan (MAG 2025) available through the "My Hobby Stores".
It was designed to make a simple and cheap entry model, perhaps idea for your Father/Son project?
GlynnG

Mark47

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 10:48:33 am »

Thanks for the info peeps  :}

Had a look on Ebay Stav and it finally went for £25!!!!!!!!!!   %%   

So, Plan B, can you recomend some plans of a similar nature. I'm reasonably competent at making wooden models but I need it to be simple and straightforward and not too fidely so that my 7 year old boy can have a go at building it with me. I've been searching t'internet but its difficult to know how suitable the plans are.  {:-{

I'd appreciate any suggestions,

SMIFFY :-))

Try one of these :-))

https://shop.traplet.com/browse.aspx?c=4454

Mark

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 11:20:30 am »

hi there

have you had a look in the build Masterclass at the plan for beginners - although this isnt a warship plan - it is a very easy to build sports model.

Very few tools required; it is great project and I can envisage it being an excellent family build  :-))   If you are interested FLJ who is a member of this forum will supply the plans for approx £5-6 plus postage  :-))

Also, if you hit any snags in the build you know who to contact.

No doubt the same, if you pick one of Glynn's plans - that could be one of the plans chosen for a future build mmmm food for thought.

One last thing, I do wish the moderators would change the Masterclass heading - as I know it puts a lot of people off looking into that section of the Forum.    I don't think any of us should be put under the title of Masters - we are all here to help one another and builders are what we is.

aye
john e
bluebird
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.