Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Goggle Chrome  (Read 4064 times)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Goggle Chrome
« on: September 02, 2008, 09:35:19 pm »

Dont know if its good news, but Google Chrome mostly works.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

catengineman

Re: Goggle Chrome
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 09:37:19 pm »

I have been told that is less memory hungry than IE and is friendlier than FF?

I dont know as yet have not tried it.

R,

TugCowboy

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 09:40:52 pm »

Windows only BETA so far :(
Fast new browser in Windoze? like sugar coating a...pile of pond weed!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 09:57:43 pm »

I've been using IE8 for a few days.... haven't noticed anything improved over IE7......  :(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 10:01:47 pm »

Chrome not available here yet. maybe in the morning!!

Reade Models

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 06:43:11 am »

I just downloaded and started using Chrome - fast WOW!

Malc

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »

Excuse me for being thick chaps but does chrome just replace ordinary google

Computer illiterate Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »

Naw, its just an internet browser to compete with Internet Explorer and Firefox and suchlike.  It has the great virtue of waking itself up quickly mostly by not loading a load of rubbish that you probably dont need.  The only grit in the vaseline for me is the fact that I have got used to the wheel on my mouse scrolling, and chrome does not seem to support it.  Its also only in beta, or public try-out stage at the moment, so there may well be plenty of other bits of grit in there.  On the other hand, the other browsers are still there if wanted.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

andyn

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 04:38:13 pm »

Sorry chaps but I think I'll stick with my trusty old firefox, in my experience I have found google products way too memory hungry, and as we have the worlds worst computer (dad didn't listen to me when I told him which one to get, I said DONT GET AN EMACHINES, so he came home with an emachines >>:-( ) So, I'm sticking to good old safe firefox. Like the addons for it too

andygh

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 04:43:29 pm »

Scroll wheel works fine for me in Chrome, weird :-\
Firefox is OK but it dumped my favourites folder 3 times, never again >>:-(

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 05:36:23 pm »

Less memory than FF3 (33Mb as against 45Mb) - much faster to load than FF3, don't know about IE7 or 8 as I rarely use IE.

Some page loads seem quick, others paint the screen in a strange manner. This is at peak load on my bit of the Internet. Download speeds go to less than 1Mb per sec at this time of the day. :(

Barrie

Reade Models

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 05:47:41 pm »

No screen refresh with a right click?

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 10:07:25 pm »

Thanks Malcolm,

Think I will stick with what I have got, better the devil you know in my circumstances.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

RipSlider

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 09:00:51 am »

With regards to memory....

Chrome opens up a complete momeory thread for every tab that is opened. The good side of this is that if one tab crashes out, it doesn't take out the whole browser - like in Firefox.

The downside of it is that it can eat vast amounts of memory when you open up multiple tabs. I had chrome running at nearly 300Mb last night with 8 tabs open.

So, you essentially trade off stability for the potential for Chrome to use lots of memory.

f you have plenty on your machine, then Chrom might be a good choice - certainly better than IE 7 or IE 8, and about equivilant with Firefox. the latest Alpha and beta nightly builds of Firefox outperform it, but Chrome is a little more stable. If your a bit tight on memory, then firefox or Opera are probably a better choice.

The other thing to note is that both Firefox and Internet explorer have had a good few years to be battered and attacked by security researchers, where as there is a lot of brand new code in Chrome which no one has had a chance to start attacking yet.

it is incredibly unlikely that there will no one will find holes in chrome, and it might need to go through a couple of releases until it becomes a tight and secure platform.

Again, on the flip side, google are generally quite good with security and decent-ish quality coding, so there probably won't be the vast holes in it that there were in, for example, IE 6

It's a good browser and fast. if you have some spare memory, or don't use huge numbers of tabs when you browse, then it is a good platform. Whether you should trust it to do your on-line banking with just yet is a slightly different issue. caveat Empor

Steve

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 09:48:36 am »

You might want to check the privacy settings...

Chrome may also be logging your keystrokes to Google...

Provided that users leave Chrome's auto-suggest feature on and have Google as their default search provider, Google will have access to any keystrokes that are typed into the browser's Omnibox, even before a user hits enter.
...Google has every intention of retaining some of that data even after it provides the promised suggestions. A Google representative told CNET News that the company plans to store about 2 percent of that data--and plans to store it along with the Internet Protocol address of the computer that typed it.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10031661...tml?tag=nl.e433

Someone also posted this part of their EULA...
4.1 Google has subsidiaries and affiliated legal entities around the world (“Subsidiaries and Affiliates”). Sometimes, these companies will be providing the Services to you on behalf of Google itself. You acknowledge and agree that Subsidiaries and Affiliates will be entitled to provide the Services to you.

???

TugCowboy

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 10:49:31 am »

I seem to remember a similar amount of worry when google mail came out. However now everyone has forgotten that it reads your mails, apart from the reminder when the adverts suddenly change to follow a word you just typed :D

I imagine its not really as sinister as has been made out, but if you are one of those privacy freaks then any google products are probably best kept away from.

Alex

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 11:55:18 am »

Reade Models

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 01:06:34 pm »

Is it me?

Since dowloading Google Chrome, I haven't seen any signs of spy/adware on my computer?

I run Spybot resident, and do periodic searches.  I used to get loads of adware, but since installing Chrome, nothing.  Perhaps Chrome is just stopping me from finding/seeing it?

Malc

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 06:47:43 am »

Hi folks, there had been a warning in the newspaper today, from the German National Office for Data protection (dunno how to translate it better)... saying that...:
Google Chrome is a software which will be tested by the private customers. Google submitted, that they will have a parallel software running with it and collect Datas just for "statistic use".
The collected datas are the themes and the numbers of webpages which had been typed in the task-menue for connection.

The National office doubts very much, that these collected datas are just for "statistic use" as they will give a very good relation between single users, areas and most wanted favourite pages. Also they fear that these datas could be part of any data-business and will be filtered and sold to support the costs for inventing Google Chrome.

They recommend not to download or better delete (if downloaded) Google Chrome until the tests have finished. Or, for users with indeepgoing knowledge, to knock down the points of collecting datas and transmit them to Google.

Hope that was out of any help for you.

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.