Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The best film for marine modellers?  (Read 3298 times)

TugCowboy

The best film for marine modellers?
« on: September 03, 2008, 10:11:04 pm »

I was wondering what everyone thought were the top 3 films/movies for marine modellers and boat buffs like ourselves.

My opinion is:

1)Das Boot
2)Battle of the River Plate
3)The Cruel Sea

Das Boot for the sheer epic value and technical detail (although of course not all accurate)
Battle of the River Plate for the cinematic quality, brilliant shots of ships throughout. Like Das Boot it shows the sailors of both sides as gentlemen rather than raving enemies hell bent on nothing more than the destruction of the other.
Cruel Sea.. I can't really come up with a good reason but I'm rather fond of it anyway.

What do you guys think?

Alex

swordfish fairey

Re: The best film for marine modellers?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 10:21:37 pm »

Like your choice Alex.. Iwould like to suggest...:   1) Run Silent,  Run Deep.
                                                                     2) Enemy Below.
                                                                     3) Final Countdown

Run Silent for its depiction of life on an American submarine during WW II, Enemy Below for the interaction between surface and sub-surface combatants and Final Countdown for pitting Tomcats against Zeros and the look on the Senators face when the two F-14s fly over his cabin cruiser. :o :o :o.....Smudge

andyn

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 11:11:31 pm »

Got to be K:19 The WidowMaker, love that film, but never seen it all the way through for some reason ???

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 11:19:52 pm »

How about Sink the Bismarck, The Perfect Storm, for the trawler boys, and The Hunt for Red October

Proteus

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 11:26:43 pm »

The Sea Shall Not Have Them (1954)   

good for air sea rescue boat fans

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047463/

Proteus

andygh

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 12:37:25 am »

In addition to the above I always enjoy "Above us the Waves"

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 03:59:40 am »

Now I know there were a lot who looked down on it but I really did enjoy the "Titanic" movie.  Especially the internal filming where I thought the sets were very realistic and the sinking scenes I thought were very well done as well.

I also really enjoyed "Master and Commander", very realistic fight scenes and the shot damage was amazing.

My other favourites have already gone of course, "Das Boot" and "The Cruel Sea" probably being my top two.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Roger in France

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 05:37:49 am »

Well I thought "Master & Commander" was dreadful. I nearly laughed out loud at the terrible acting, especially the young Midshipman who was supposed to have his arm removed, he obviously and clearly just held it behind his back.

I think "The Cruel Sea" (both the film and the book) was excellent. The performance by Jack Hawkins and the depiction of the terrible conditions those convoys faced were superb.

I also agree that "The Sea Shall Not Have Them" is one of the best.

Can I nominate "The Hunt for Red October"? Not highly accurate but the suspense was prolonged and handled well.

Roger in France.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 07:52:36 am »

.... Vasili- give me a Ping. But just one, please......

Best movie ever.

Master and Commander is also one of my favourites.

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

nhp651

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 08:40:09 am »

Talking about Das Boot, I was once a craft design teacher teaching woodwork in a school for emotionally and behaviourally disturbed boys, and as a special treat one week just prior to going on holidays  I decided to let the school (there were only 18 age 11 - 18years in it) watch the german version (all in sub titles) which was being serialised for an hour and a quarter each day for five days.
All the kids sat glued to the TV watching silently and intently until the last day.
When about 20 minuted before the catastrophic and somewhat sad ending( which ever side you were on) when one of the lads stood up and walked out, asking if he could go for a smoke!
I said, "but  you'll miss the ending"
To which he replied....."Thats all right, I can't understand the bloody thing anyway, it's all in a foreign language"
I answered...."but there's subtitles telling you what they are saying".
"yeh I know" he replied, "but I can't read!!!"
What could I do, It seamed my job was wasted and felt so lost at what to do.
Who does one blame for that! >>:-(

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 08:45:27 am »

.... or, where you have everything: Ships and planes...

TORA,TORA,TORA!
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 09:33:06 am »

"For Those in Peril"

Must be without a doubt the best Air Sea rescue film, made during the war based at an Air Sea rescue base.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 10:28:56 am »

Hi all, can I take you back to the 30's and this is for sailing ship buffs, especially for those who like beautiful Gloucester Schooners, or Grand Banks Schooners.
I recommend "Captains Courageous", with Spencer Tracey, its a good plot and the fishing boats are something else.
Disney tried a remake with one schooner and it fell short by a long way.
regards to all Roy

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 02:59:09 pm »

For anyone who hasn't seen it, or might like to record it, Battle of the River Plate is on tomorrow (Friday), Channel 4, at 1:15

Rick

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 03:29:28 pm »

My three, The Yangtze Incident.  The Battle of The River Plate.  Sink the Bismark.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 06:16:31 pm »

I was wondering what everyone thought were the top 3 films/movies for marine modellers and boat buffs like ourselves.

My opinion is:

1)Das Boot
2)Battle of the River Plate
3)The Cruel Sea

Das Boot for the sheer epic value and technical detail (although of course not all accurate)
Battle of the River Plate for the cinematic quality, brilliant shots of ships throughout. Like Das Boot it shows the sailors of both sides as gentlemen rather than raving enemies hell bent on nothing more than the destruction of the other.
Cruel Sea.. I can't really come up with a good reason but I'm rather fond of it anyway.

What do you guys think?

Alex
A shipmate of mine on an old cable repair ship used to tell all who would listen about his time as an "extra" in "The Cruel Sea". He was one of the guys in the water when Jack Hawkins had to run them down and then blow them to smithereens. Apparently it was all done in a tank of water with the "swimmers" standing on the bottom, and the bow of the ship was just that, only the bow. The bow bit being pulled along on a trolley.
Made good viewing though.
Notes from a simple seaman

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 06:24:19 pm »

I wonder  BY if the guy you are referring to used to be in the South Shields Model Boating Club, because the late Peter Mavin's relative used to work on the set which produced the film the Cruel Sea - he used to tell the story - if you watch the actual sequence after the survivors in the water were depth charged - the next sequence is the seagulls and if you watch carefully you will see the birds actually fly 'backwards' because they had to reverse the film for some reason.

aye
john
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 07:24:20 pm »

Did anyone see "In Harms Way" starring John Wayne?  Came out early Sixties I think. The Jap and American warships look like cardboard cutouts - and probably were!

I did like the effects in Titanic, absolutely superb. Especially the bit where the ship breaks in two. Battle of the River Plate has always been a favourite too ever since my Dad took me to see it when it first came out. HMS Exeter has been my favourite warship ever since and I am the proud posessor of a souvenir mug of from the current HMS Exeter which I visited at the International Festival of the Sea a while back. When viewing the film it's interesting if you step through the cruisers firing frame by frame.

Colin

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 07:53:17 pm »

Personally, I think "A Night to Remember" is a better film than "Titanic" - even if they didn't, at that time, know the ship had broken in two and the special effects are dated. "Britannic", about the sinking of Titanic's sister ship in WW1 is also very watchable, despite a faintly ludicrous plot.

Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.