Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tug design / build project.  (Read 4537 times)

Simon.O.

Tug design / build project.
« on: September 04, 2008, 04:21:25 am »

I have been up and down and round and round this site for the last few weeks and love it.
There is so much information and some truly amazing boats that have been built by the members here.
I am looking for a new build project.
I am quite partial to large tugs such as the Smit Rotterdam etc
I want to draw up the plans myself and then build it to what some might call semi scale.
I am not really into lifebelts and weather hatch handles or charts on the table in the wheel house etc. In fact most of that sort of detailing would drive me nuts tying to get it right.
I envisage more of a plain look with painted windows etc and a few very basic deck bits like a winch and bollard or two.
 Have built a few fast boats of my own design so have no worries actually building a boat and setting it up with power etc.
What I need is a set of hull lines to get going with. I just need a few ideas for the actual hull shape and from there I can draw up my own plans and get going.
It will be about 36-40” long and be twin screw, possibly a bow thruster too.

Any help in this project will be greatly appreciated.  O0

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tug design / build project.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 08:11:15 am »

Have a look here:

http://www.delftship.net/

There is a  free ship design program. Takes a while to learn it, but it gives good results. I am part way through a design of my own.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Garabaldy

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 08:29:10 am »

WOW!  Why have i never seen this website before?  That software is getting downloaded.  Has anyone produced a set of hull lines using it yet?  Is it easy to print off the hull lines etc? 

sorry, im not trying to steal the thread here :angel:

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 10:48:59 am »

Yes I have produced and printed off a set of hull lines - its easy - but my lines are a secret until I start the build  O0

Ian

Garabaldy

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 12:22:31 pm »

this is probably find for the year.  Do you know if its possible to save the files which can be imported into other 3d design software like solidworks?

moller62

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 06:32:08 pm »

Hi
A more simple program can be downloaded at http://www.carlsondesign.com/#Fun_Shareware. I've used the Carlson designer tool to design my crew supplier. The design and the .hul file produced by the Carlson designer is available in the thread http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8615.0

moller62

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 08:21:59 pm »

vaow O0
I've just checked the Delft designer. Looks really promising. I was even able to import my own .hul file from Carlson.

Simon.O.

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 10:23:13 pm »

All the CAD programs in the world are no good to me if I don't have something to start with.
I need a side and possibly plan view of a hull showing the lines that I will need to get the shape.
I can draw very well on paper and also convert drawings into a model.
I like the look of the Happy hunter type hull.
I guess I will have to look at as many photos as I can print out and go from there.

Thanks.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 10:05:24 am »

Simon,

I opened the 'new' option as a starting point and developed from there. Takes time but it worked. I also referenced various photos to get proportions somewhere near to work from.

Ian

Big Ada

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 06:08:20 pm »

Hi Simon,

You know roughly what you want so why not get a large lump of foam and attack it with the bread knife, then when you are satisfied with the shape, use it as a plug and glassfibre a hull from it. That is what a recent post on here did.

Len.

Weeds

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 06:21:30 pm »

I envisage more of a plain look with painted windows etc and a few very basic deck bits like a winch and bollard or two.
Can you scan what you draw up for us.. :)

Stretch

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 04:58:14 pm »

exactly what I did , start off with some of the high density foam you would use for house insulation and carve away ... make some cardboard templates to ensure the port side contour matches the starboard side and you should be good to go.... coat the finished " plug " with white glue so the fiberglass doesn't eat it away and when you are done sanding , filling and priming the hull all you need to do is either chisel the foam out or pour gas / petrol for you British folk ( sorry if I got that wrong ) inside and it turns the foam to goo .. could probably make a napalm bomb with it however taking it to a waste disposal station like you would old engine oil would be best.

I have talked to gentleman that make sailboards in the same way ( sailboard is basically a large surf board with a small sail affixed to it )

Kevin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.