Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's building what at the moment?  (Read 324782 times)

dan

Re: Who's building what at the moment?
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2008, 10:19:59 pm »

hi guys,
my campbeltown, 10 months in and no where near finishing, but its been fun so far!

cheers, dan

tony52

« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2008, 06:48:51 am »

Scratch built copy of a Veron 'Police Launch'. Originally sold as a kit in the 1960's and 1970's.

das boot

« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2008, 07:52:33 pm »

The Mighty Mo has been put into dry dock for the time being, and the USS Blueback has taken over her place on the slipway. I want to get this finished and on the water very soon now. Here's a couple of pics of her so far...still sanding and filling and filling and sanding, but it's getting better every time.

Rich

ian kennedy

« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2008, 09:33:38 pm »

The blue back is looking good, Rich

You might be pleased to know that i have started working on the plug for the Novgorod semi kit this weekend, twice the size of my original, 1/50th scale.
I will post photo's once i have it looking something like a finished hull.

Cheers
Ian

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2008, 11:46:21 pm »

Well after 2 years research I have finally got all the information I need to start my next project which is a working model of an 1867 Pulling lifeboat.
I have posted some information and pictures on my website. http://www.lifeboatmodels.co.uk/apullinglifeboat.htm

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2008, 12:46:37 pm »

I am trying something different for a change,
I have started to build a Galleon (I think thats what they are called)
It is 36" long and 11.5" Beam with twenty working oars,
Have no plans or photos just building from head to hands,
could be good or have a very strange sub.........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

das boot

« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2008, 02:37:19 pm »

The blue back is looking good, Rich

You might be pleased to know that i have started working on the plug for the Novgorod semi kit this weekend, twice the size of my original, 1/50th scale.
I will post photo's once i have it looking something like a finished hull.

Cheers
Ian

Hello Ian,

That's great news, young sir...I looked a few possibilities for Novgorod hull formers, but all of them were wrong, somehow...just didn't look right if you know what I mean?
Glad you are on the case Ian, I'm looking forward to this. Must get the Blueback finished and soon...

Rich

(by the way...you need a haircut. Bl**dy hippies....  ;D)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2009, 08:30:35 pm »

hi ALL

been quiet for the last couple of the months - due to the fact I have 3 projects under way at the mo  the first one is a replacement Type 42 HMS York; which, as you can see is at the actual building stage and the 2nd project is; I am looking into the possibilities of using an IC driven ducted fan to drive a lightweight model of Donald Campbell's Bluebird - or - experiments how much power I can achieve from an air ducted fan.   

My 3rd project is - a real....long termer..... I received for my Yule tide present  :-)) - the builders' plans for HMS Exeter 1928 - from Greenwich Maritime Museum - a bit of an expensive present.

For anyone thinking of purchasing the plans for Exeter - a little note; the only plans Greenwich have, of HMS Exeter - is her proposed building - i.e. she would have been built exactly as HMS York - her sister ship.  Somewhere out in the Universe - there may be an original set of plans - showing her as she was when she was launched.

hey ho...

aye
John e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Garabaldy

« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2009, 08:41:17 pm »

Dan  hows your fleet coming along?  Have you had a chance to go for a sail  yet?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2009, 08:45:37 pm »

Hi John,

Very interested to hear about the original Exeter, my favourite warship. Will you be able to use the plans you've got as a basis for a model given the significant differences between the ships in terms of the bridge funnel, catapult and the fact that Exeter was a foot wider?

Colin

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2009, 08:44:02 pm »

hi there Colin a bit of a delay in answering you due to the fact that the plans are over 8 foot long  %) and I have to wait until the house is vacated so I can commandere the living room floor space to lay the plans out - the plans themselves are, as far as I can tell, from the same dimensions as HMS York to give you an idea of what the plans look like or how she would have been originally built - think of  HMS Suffolk in similar design to her.

It was proposed for a single catapult mid-ships but also, provision for a small plane to be launched off 'B' turret.

No doubt we will be able to reconfigurate the plans to increase the size because - from the photographs - from various sources - I am unable to find any major difference, apart from the armour belting on the sides.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2009, 09:01:43 pm »

That's right John. Ther catapult idea on B turret for York proved to be a non starter which is why the bridge on Exeter was lower and the funnel arrangements were changed. The original intention for York was two catapults, the other amidships which was fitted. Exeter had the twin catapult amidships to carry two aircraft.

The beam of Exeter was increased to allow for the weight of the DCT on the bridge according to Whitley's "Cruisers of WW2". I think tha armour on Exteter was the same as York except for adiitional internal protection to the magazines.

Colin

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2009, 10:28:19 pm »

well I have Nord Icelandia to complete.  she's 98% complete (i think) until i decide to fit something else!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2009, 07:20:19 am »

Working on a few builds at the moment, Slipways Irishman and Hms Sheffield, nearly finished the 1/35 S100 conversion as well.

Russ

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2009, 11:34:36 am »

I'm deep into the 'Imara' build at the moment, which is why I've been a bit quiet.   ;)

Everyone is right about the build and 'Those Instructions'.  This really is a difficult build trying to get the sizes to match up. The drawings are 'Scale less' and only gives positions and rough locations, so its all down to 'eye and guesswork'. I do have plenty of information on her, so feel its worth carrying on. 

I haven't done a build log as I'm altering parts on a daily basis. However, I am taking pictures as I proceed to show what I'm going through.   O0

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Big Ada

« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2009, 10:33:13 pm »

Latest Springer,  Sorry I have posted picture twice I do not know how to remove one of them.

Len.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2009, 11:15:14 pm »

Len, that's one serious Springer/jet ski  :-)) {-)

Peter

Captain Povey

« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2009, 04:38:22 pm »

Hello All, Well having done all my modelling with wood I decided last year that it was time to try this plastic card stuff. As I already had tugs it seemed logical  and to not too expensive to try the Deans Marine barge kits. The experience was not too bad once I had learnt which glues were ok for tacking things in place and which were the ones for the welded joint. The kits were ok provided you checked everything before cutting. I made some of my own changes including fitting the digger that came as part of my second hand purchase of the 10 Hatch coaster. The building of this was also an experiment with plastic. OK the scales are different but I was using this project as a way of learning about plastic sheet. Anyway The result is shown below. The biggest trouble I had was trying to spray paint. I really do need to practice that much more to get a good finish. I also need a lot more patience and a warmer shed. At the Warwick show I bought (for my wife who loves the Italian Lakes) the Mantua Mincio kit. Again an economical kit that I have only looked at. Initial impressions are good except for the motor which looks puny. The prop shaft seems to be non standard, taking a white metal prop on a 2.5 mm thread. All that might get upgraded. I have on order the Rx and servo (Cirrus, small and light) but not the speed controller (probably Actionelectronics). Work on this is about to start if the HMS Caesar does not take over. I started this project late last year after discovering my Grandfather sailed on it. It is based on the HMS Magnificent from deans Marine.I picked this one up part built and so far have added brass props from Deans Marine, Motors from Cornwall Model boats and electronics from Action. It is nearly ready for the first sea trials which will probably be at the pool as I am not sure it will fit in my bath. After that a lot of work will be required to finish it. Cheers Graham.

dave301bounty

« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2009, 04:48:44 pm »

I ,Am trying to finish ,or rather get a decent start on my Nkorkap,billings ,plank on/frame ,.i would put some pics on but i cannot work the put/on part.     Also i want to start on finishing my Connister  ,this is compleat ,just needs a tidy ,. have a few things i want to sort ,,also got to clear the decks ,:cause i cant see the woods for the trees , in other words ,,i am not really enjoying my hobby ,.it,s coming back ,but too slow to appreciate ,.

MCR

« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2009, 09:22:16 pm »

Steam project six months on. Steep learning curve with lots of help from a club mate.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2009, 10:02:30 pm »

Very nice MCR  :-))

Peter.

kno3

« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2009, 10:39:50 pm »

Nice engine, keep the pictures coming!

bwmarks

« Reply #147 on: January 19, 2009, 12:52:41 am »

Finishing up "Light Ship Relief" and a Springer  Tug/Barge combo...then starting the Billings Colin Archer

dan

« Reply #148 on: January 19, 2009, 07:29:57 am »

I'm having a little break from my frigate on a earlier page, and because our local lake is being drained as we speak  {:-{  i thought i would have a crack at building a small RC plane  O0  just to have a bit of fun with until we find out wether we'll be allowed back on to the lake once its refilled

samuel15g

« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2009, 12:35:32 pm »

Just completed a Mountfleet Puffer over the past 12 weeks of spare time and am now into a Graupner "Otto Lauffer" -- much simpler than the Mountfleet Model (which is an absolute cracker! ). Quality of the Graupner kit is questionable --- some main superstructure parts missing and all a bit plasticy for my liking but can't complain too much as it was Xmas Gift from SWMBO so I have approval to use the kitchen table for a few weeks.
Regards
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 31   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.