Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: S.S. NORRIX  (Read 6430 times)

ron h

S.S. NORRIX
« on: April 13, 2006, 04:08:52 pm »

This is my S.S. NORRIX? scratch built to a scale of 1/24 . she took part in the second 24hr fund raiser for the RNLI, won her class , sailed 45 miles.

Daryl

Re: S.S. NORRIX
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 04:17:42 pm »

Very nice you are to be congratulated on such a fine model. May I ask did you build her from plans?
Regards
Daryl

ron h

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 06:33:05 pm »

There,s a small set of plans in COASTERS AND SHORT SEA TRADERS. also a colour pen and ink drawing. I went to J R RIX oil company in Hull and took photo,s of a small model built by BASSET AND LOWKE, Mr RIX asked for first offer on the model when I had finished with it, it now stands in there new offices in Hull in a very large glass case, it was 7ft - 4inches long.
You may notice the water comming out the side, this was to cool the motor on her 45 mile run.

ron h

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 12:24:55 am »

Hi , 2 new pictures, one on our garden , and one on the lake with a tug called Rungarth,

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 01:33:21 pm »

You ought to be very happy with the quality you have produced well done..

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Ron1

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 11:08:55 pm »

Some more photo,s of the build with scale figures from Tamiya Pit Crew.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 05:10:58 pm »

At 1:24 scale....where did you get the stanchions from? Or did you make them yourself? Very impessive model, right up my street! That series of books (coasters and so on) should be part of every ship modellers library. Cheers. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Ron1

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 06:47:41 pm »

Hi Bryan, some I made myself and some I got from Stan Catchpoll in Liverpool, He,s since closed. <:( <:(

Bowwave

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 07:45:32 pm »

Ron 1  What an impessive model  and scratch built .
Bowwave  :-))

craftysod

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 07:57:24 pm »

A lovely vessel Ron and the way you have placed the figures gives plenty of character  :-))
Mark

Ron1

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 11:51:15 pm »

2 more pictures, on the superstructer you will see a bicycle, some one had to go for the papers when in port.  {-) {-)

ggeorge

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 01:10:33 am »

Hi Ron.
  Great looking model. Looks even better on the water.
Thanks for the photos.

G. George

Ron1

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 06:35:42 pm »

Hi Guys, 2 more photo,s, these are later to the ones I posted earlier, you may see deck lights , hose pipes, pumps, fire buckets filled with sand, the bow hawser holes have the company crest in them, rix was one of the first company,s to adopt this.

Also note the canvas dogger, open bridge in thoughs days.

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 06:17:38 pm »

Fantastic job Ron. I bet you're proud of that one, as you should be. What a beauty  :-))  :-))  :-))

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 06:41:56 pm »

A beautiful vessel, one to be very proud of. I looked in the "Steam Coasters" book and found the drawings you referenced. I didn't find any hull profile drawings for that specific vessel. Did you use the profile drawings from a similar vessel or did you have access to them from another source? Its the kind of vessel I'd like to do a model of.

John

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 08:22:12 pm »

Its very similar to the Caldercraft SS Talacre only with another hold which is what I based my scratch built coaster on.

Nowhere near as good as yours Ron.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Ron1

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 11:56:27 pm »

First I went to Hull, to meet Mr Robert Rix, we looked at a model of NORRIX built by BASSET LOWKE, its like a SWISS WATCH, I took a few photo,s as referance, the model was about 18 inches in length.
I drew my own drawings, only a small set, I enlarged the ribs from a simlar vessel, I made a plug from pollystyrene and covered it with plaster, then laid up some fibra matting and resin and that was the begining of NORRIX all  7FT-4 INCHES. ;) ;)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 03:22:39 am »

First I went to Hull, to meet Mr Robert Rix, we looked at a model of NORRIX built by BASSET LOWKE, its like a SWISS WATCH, I took a few photo,s as referance, the model was about 18 inches in length.
I drew my own drawings, only a small set, I enlarged the ribs from a simlar vessel, I made a plug from pollystyrene and covered it with plaster, then laid up some fibra matting and resin and that was the begining of NORRIX all  7FT-4 INCHES. ;) ;)

Thanks for the information.

John

awvs

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 04:07:21 am »

Congratulations ron h, this is a very nice model and she looks great on the water too.

Regards
WIlhelm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.