Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anyone help me with my boat kit? (pic)  (Read 2066 times)

Johnn

Can anyone help me with my boat kit? (pic)
« on: September 01, 2008, 04:08:02 pm »

I have not got very far atall ,as you can see.http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/pp156/Johno-/?action=view&current=badboat.jpg

I made a hole for the rudder , and put to much glue there and now its dead stiff and wont move attall , will it be okay if I make a new hole a few cms away from the other rudder hole I made?
The prop hole is untouched ,
Is there anywhere which sells rudders , and the  rudder bearings because the ones here are now in bad condition?
I basically want to hook the boat up with the basic radio equipment and not to bother about the decor yet , I still have the shaft and propeller ,
thanks  ;D

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Can anyone help me with my boat kit? (pic)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 04:42:09 pm »

Judging by the hole forward of your rudder location, you don't have much room to play with, as your propeller needs to rotate free of the rudder. Why not just take the whole lot out, use some thin card material and filler, then smooth it out , remark your hole and try again. What kit is that?
Robert

Johnn

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 04:50:58 pm »

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 05:22:00 pm »

Johnn

Not to worry too much - it seems that you have installed the rudder bearing tube with Epoxy (thats what it looks like)

I'm assuming the problem is that you installed the rudder tube with the rudder shaft in place, and its all epoxied up?
Leave the rudder shaft tube in place (its glued in, right)
Can you get the rudder shaft out of the rudder tube? - if so carry on as below

Epoxy is a plastic - drill or ream it out to the right size for the rudder to turn in it. 
You have a nice fillet round the outside of the rudder bearing tube, but you do need to add a support for the top of the tube - I will sketch on your  photo what I would suggest - basically a "shelf" about 30 mm wide (balsa, styrene, or liteply) that runs across the boat
at about the level of the top of the tube to support it against the side loads.

If your rudder shaft is permanently epoxied into the tube than you need to extract the whole shebang (rudder, rudder shaft and rudder bearing tube) from the boat (I would attack from the outside with a  knofe, or possibly a hot soldering iron tip)

When you have it out  - salvage all the metal parts by heating the rest - if the beariing tube is plastic it will soften and melt, and so will the epoxy on it.  Then obtain a styrene tube (or nylon, or other plastic, or brass ) which is a good fit on the rudder shaft.
Patch the hole in the bottom with a bit of scrap styrene - redrill to fit the new tube and refit the rudder tube (without the shaft in place, and without using too much epoxy
 ;D

Still fit the support shelf for the top of the rudder bearing tube!

Please ask anything else you need help with  - someone knows the answer, often several someones
Sketch follows tomorrow

andrew

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 06:24:13 pm »

Here is the Link I brought it from  O0

http://www.rchobby.co.uk/radio-controlled_semi-scale_mo.html

You were very lucky to actually receive your kit Johnn as this company has a very bad name on this forum for taking your money and not sending the goods.

If you type in rchobby in the search box  on the index page you will find all the different postings about this company.

Heres one. http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4273.msg76148#msg76148
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.