Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why did my speed controllers go up the shoot?  (Read 10911 times)

catengineman

Re: Why did my speed controllers go up the shoot?
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2008, 09:21:31 pm »

So which bit has all the magic smoke in?????

Show me that and I can encase it in resin to stop it getting out  >>:-( of the new one

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 08:28:32 am »

Cheers for the info Barry.  O0  It looked like the bridge rectifier area had gone  ???

Lost it there is no need for a bridge as its D.C. in and D.C. out .   cooo what am I like at times l.o.l

barry park

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 09:09:48 am »

Cheers for the info Barry.  O0  It looked like the bridge rectifier area had gone  ???

Lost it there is no need for a bridge as its D.C. in and D.C. out .   cooo what am I like at times l.o.l
Sometimes your right the first time :)

MFA Electrothrottle complete with bridge rectifier!
Inclusion of four 1-amp diodes means damage occurs on reverse connection.
So what! -the relay contacts are not a charred mess after an hour on the water.
Take a look at your relay type ESC.
Barry Park

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 10:11:19 am »

Looking at this circuit I see protection written all over it, not much in the way of rectifying.

Hmm could be wrong again ???

Martin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 11:57:03 am »

The diodes in the bridge rectifier act to divert any back emf from the motor into the power rails, clamping any voltage spikes to an acceptable level.  Putting this kind of protection in requires four diodes for a reversing motor, and the layout happens to coincide with the layout in a bridge rectifier.  When somebody else has done the work, why do it all over again?  It will also provide some reverse connection protection.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

explorer750

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 05:39:38 pm »

Sorry for being slow to reply,

My speed controller ran two freshly charged 7.2v batteries and the transmitter was next to the boat with the antenna fully extended. When you open the controller up their is a small amount of corrosion on the relays. You could still operate the motor but with a very small range of power and all the time it was pulsing on and off.

Hopes this helps.

Sandy Calder

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 07:30:35 pm »

Sorry for being slow to reply,

My speed controller ran two freshly charged 7.2v batteries and the transmitter was next to the boat with the antenna fully extended. When you open the controller up their is a small amount of corrosion on the relays. You could still operate the motor but with a very small range of power and all the time it was pulsing on and off.

Hopes this helps.
I can get the same result by switching on my throttle dual rate!
I think you can add:-  have you tried it on one 7.2 pack? to the questions asked below.
Sandy Calder
My speed controller has just packed in. On start up it just keeps turning the relays on and off so all you get is a insane clicking sound with no motor control. It has only been used twice both times it has worked fine. It is a electronize fr30hx. Can anybody help.
Receiver model?
ESC Bec? y/n
servo works on that channe?l y/n
Got 5 grain of wheat or other bulbs ?
Got one of these?
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=12579.0;attach=54778;image

explorer750

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 06:07:26 pm »

I can get the same result by switching on my throttle dual rate!
I think you can add:-  have you tried it on one 7.2 pack? to the questions asked below.
Sandy Calder

Receiver model?
ESC Bec? y/n
servo works on that channe?l y/n
Got 5 grain of wheat or other bulbs ?
Got one of these?
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=12579.0;attach=54778;image

Receiver model: futaba FP-R102GR
ESC This has no bec
Servo works on that channel and so do other speed controllers.
Not checked with multimeter.

The boat is a fast sports cruiser and so the batteries a run together to give 14.4v. Because of this layout both batteries need to be plugged in to complete the circuit.

The fuse you see in the picture is a 30 A and it has not blown. lastly none of the setting were changed from the last outing.

barry park

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 06:33:11 pm »

Receiver model: futaba FP-R102GR
ESC This has no bec
Servo works on that channel and so do other speed controllers.
Not checked with multimeter.

The boat is a fast sports cruiser and so the batteries a run together to give 14.4v. Because of this layout both batteries need to be plugged in to complete the circuit.
The fuse you see in the picture is a 30 A and it has not blown. lastly none of the setting were changed from the last outing.

Receiver is OK for that ESC
Servo working means you get full sweep on that channel. OK
There is a 5 position rotary throttle setting 25%-125%,and a 3 position frequency setting.
You could turn the throttle selecter back and forth to clean it in case the contacts cause a 25% reading.
The higher frequency 2kHz setting will make the ESC less prone to cutout from the motor stall current at startup.
Switch off/on the 4.8 volts after changing the settings.
Don't jump to conclusions if you have the same set up as before.Try a bulb instead of motor or reduce the voltage to see if the stall current is triggering an overcurrent trip.
Regards
Barry Park
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.