Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New here and new to boating  (Read 2957 times)

grandad

New here and new to boating
« on: September 06, 2008, 01:50:32 pm »

Ya- Ta-Hay
I am new to Boat building, however I am not new to building I love to build models of any sort but for the past number of years I have been building 1/25 th model cars mostly revamping them to resemble dirt track racers! what we use to call skeeters back in the olden days! ::)
I am 65 years of age and I raced on our old dirt track with the likes of Firebal Roberts, Cotten Owens abd Lee Petty so I am well versed in dirt track racing lately though I have been having health problems and just got home from a two month stay in the hospital and nursing home
I had Divaticulitas and blew out my colon Twice once in ICU at the hospital therefore I am unable to get out to my hobby shop to work on models
as a homebound old retired newspsper man I am using this time to finish a history book of the Beards, Hawkins and harmons
A book that I have been working on for the past 54 years! now I am putting it together as a hard bound book and am doing it my self!!!!!!!
as far as buiilding boats______ I have in my hands the plans for building a racing sail boat and as soon as I am able to get to my tools in my shop I am going to build her 
she measures 36 inches from bow to stern and her mast measures 4 inches from deck to top
wish me luck
Larry O0

barryfoote

Re: New here and new to boating
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »

larry,

Welcome to the forum. You should enjoy it. Full of helpful, friendly chaps and we love to see photos of any model, not just boats, so if you can, post them here and let those of us who know nothing about model cars, see what it is all about. Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.

All the best to you,

Barry

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 05:12:14 pm »

Welcome to the forum Larry. Looking forward to seeing this yacht of yours when you can get back to your workshop. We like plenty of photos on here.
I too am trying to get fit enough to get out to my workshop, so know how you feel.

By the way, a 36" yacht with a 4" mast ? A miss print I take it.  ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

das boot

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 05:27:46 pm »

Hi Larry and a warm welcome from me too....count yourself lucky, young sir, I don't have a workshop, just a corner of my lounge to do my boat building.    :-\

Look forward to some pics soon...

Rich

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 09:48:52 pm »

Welcome Larry to the greatest hobby in the world  O0
Steamed up all the time

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 11:06:02 pm »

Larry, you've come to the right place to start off in the hobby :)

how did you find us?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

grandad

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 02:43:59 am »

First let me correct an error!
In my first post I described the ship that I am going to build as 36 inches long with the mast at 4' well that's an error! It should have said 54 inches from deck to top of mast and the keel weighs 9 pounds to compensate for the height of the sail!

I am going to try to post a few pictures of the scratch built dirt track race cars I have built!
And for those who haven't any knowledge of dirttracking I will try to explain the sport!

The Early models pictured are what we called Skeeters in the early day the skeeters evolve right after the jalopies! The skeeters were early model super modifies the bodies and chassis rails were the only thing stock on the racers we replaced the stock flat head motors with high power Chevy, Ford and Chrysler engines up to 427 cubic inches
The cars were so fast then that to keep them on the track in the turns we had to instal the wings on the top.! The reason we called them Skeeters were the sounds they made as they transverse the track at high speeds they sounded like a bunch of the blood sucking pests EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEoWWWW!!!!!!
The pictures of the Late Model Sports men are simular to the dirt track racing cars driven today we call them "Slabsides cause that's what they look like!! I built these out of kits but threw the kit bodies away and using other materiel made the race cars look like the modified dirt trackers.
The picture of the hauler or skid truck was made from a kit truck that I modified ! To began with it was a chevy pick up but I cut the rails, extended them then using cigar box cardboard, some wooden wooden sticks built the truck bed and it works!!

Kinda long winded arn't well ya'll wanted to see what I was into before getting interested in other builds
HA HA HA

love this forum
rather unique but fun!
More like one huge model builders family instead of just a forum !!!!!
Peace
Grandad
Larry

ronkh

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 07:49:10 pm »

Grandad,

You say this site is unique. Think of Martin the moderator.
Couldn't get more unique then him!!! Enjoy your time.

Ron.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.