Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Engineering Techniques and Materials.

Bending brass tube

(1/4) > >>

tigertiger:
I have some small bore brass tube I want to bend.

I do not have anything like a pipe bender and am unlikely to be able to get such a beast. I am not sure they exist.

How can small bore 2-4mm pipe be bent without crushing. I only want to bend 90 degrees and a large radius is what I am after as I want to run push rods or rigging sheets through them.

Any words from the wise please?

boatmadman:
TT,

There is a pack of small pipe bending springs available, most model shops seem to have them. I have some but have to confess I havent had much luck with them, also, it may be difficult bending brass, copper is easier.

Ian

FullLeatherJacket:
Hobbies list the K&S Bending Springs at about four quid - their website can be found via the banner at the top of the Forum Homepage...... ;)
I have a length of soft brass tubing in my junkbox which seems to bend easily by hand without kinking. I must have bought it from a model outlet at some time, so maybe a bit of judicious Googling will find some for you.
FLJ

tigertiger:
can it be softened by anealing?

Roger in France:
Knowing you do not have easy access to things in China TT, I was going to suggest annealing and gentle bending. It would probably require more than one or two stages. I do not think bending springs (internal or external) would be possible on such small diameters bent at right angles.

Knowing how inventive and skillful the Chinese are do you not have a small, local engineering works which could help out?

Roger in France.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version