Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Race cars  (Read 1296 times)

grandad

Race cars
« on: September 07, 2008, 05:15:43 pm »

First let me correct an error! O0
In my first post I described the ship that I am going to build as 36 inches long with the mast at 4' well that's an error! It should have said 54 inches from deck to top of mast and the keel weighs 9 pounds to compensate for the height of the sail!

I am going to try to post a few pictures of the scratch built dirt track race cars I have built!
And for those who haven't any knowledge of dirttracking I will try to explain the sport!

The Early models pictured are what we called Skeeters in the early day the skeeters evolve right after the jalopies! The skeeters were early model super modifies the bodies and chassis rails were the only thing stock on the racers we replaced the stock flat head motors with high power Chevy, Ford and Chrysler engines up to 427 cubic inches
The cars were so fast then that to keep them on the track in the turns we had to instal the wings on the top.! The reason we called them Skeeters were the sounds they made as they transverse the track at high speeds they sounded like a bunch of the blood sucking pests EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEoWWWW!!!!!!
The pictures of the Late Model Sports men are simular to the dirt track racing cars driven today we call them "Slabsides cause that's what they look like!! I built these out of kits but threw the kit bodies away and using other materiel made the race cars look like the modified dirt trackers.
The picture of the hauler or skid truck was made from a kit truck that I modified ! To began with it was a chevy pick up but I cut the rails, extended them then using cigar box cardboard, some wooden wooden sticks built the truck bed and it works!!

Kinda long winded arn't well ya'll wanted to see what I was into before getting interested in other builds
HA HA HA

love this forum
rather unique but fun!
More like one huge model builders family instead of just a forum !!!!!
Peace
Grandad :angel:
Larry

craftysod

Re: Race cars
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 06:00:03 pm »

The cars are great love watching the real ones when they put them on telly here in uk,not enough though,have raced a real car which comes from the us we call them legends over here
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 19 queries.