Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fleetwood pier goes up in smoke  (Read 4116 times)

nhp651

Fleetwood pier goes up in smoke
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:20:32 am »

The once resplendant victorian Pier at Fleetwood, which suffered similar fate in the 1950's but rose from the ashes, again went up in smoke early this morning.
The owner had been refused planning permission some months ago to build a set of hideous flats on the once grand structure,and it has been left empty for over three years.
Only at the weekend was the whole place "boarded up" to allay the local council's fears that it could be the target of "vandalism"
Aparently the whole sub structure had been destroyed leaving a "stump that will stick out in the sea(unless that too is demolished after the fire has been extinguished.)
FUNNY ,THAT AIN'T IT????

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fleetwood pier goes up in smoke
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 10:36:44 am »

Did some deeply cynical person in the insurance trade once say that "You get more fires because fires are easier to start than floods"?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

catengineman

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 11:35:03 am »

Shame

that brings me to a question, Is there the skills still out there that could reconstruct the pier to its original glory.

I was once told that the refurbishment of an old building was done but it looked totally different from its original look because "building like that was no longer done that way" the original building was over 150 years old and the structure had to be taken  down before it could be put back up.

Oh and the new building with all its foundations and better ways to build etc now has timbers proping two of its walls up!

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:51:51 am »

Shame

that brings me to a question, Is there the skills still out there that could reconstruct the pier to its original glory...

yes the skills are alive and well, but chances are it'll be Polish workers that rebuild it!

however it begs the question if it was an insider job
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

catengineman

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 12:04:49 pm »

If it gets rebuilt then the 'elf n safety' nutters will step in and get the look altered no doubt  >>:-(

Then probably the insurance will declare it a total loss and only pay for the remaining structure to be made "SAFE"?

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 12:49:02 pm »

I sense the presence of pier-omaniacs.  :D
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

nhp651

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 12:56:15 pm »

from seeing the aftermath from close up earlier this morning, the main structure is buckled with the heat, and just like the Riverdance, looks unsalvageable, sadly. >:( :'( :'(

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 01:51:03 pm »

As regards the skills to rebuild/refurbish old buildings, yes, they are there. It's only the lack of money and the willingness to tackle the job that stops these projects. Obviously "Elfin Safety" has to come into it - you would not expect an asbestos-clad building to be rebuilt using the same material, and modern fire precautions and access all have to be considered.

Over here in sunny(!?) Norfolk we are just seeing the completion of a pier rebuild. Great Yarmouth's Wellington Pier - one of the oldest in the country (1853) - has been rebuilt. The theatre is to become an "entertainments centre", but superficially, at least, it looks like its old self. It certainly looks a lot better than it did three years ago!  However, Dreadnought's pier-omaniacs had a go at it last week and attempted to set it alight. Fortunately, a local resident spotted smoke coming from the roof and it was put out before any damage was caused.

Rick

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 07:11:33 pm »

I sense the presence of pier-omaniacs.  :D

oh dear, seems like we have hit a new level of bad jokeness, oh gawd! lol
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Reade Models

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 07:22:50 pm »

I can imagine how the folks up in Fleetwood would feel about a load of 'ghastly' apartments on their pier.

I suspect that they may see this unfortunate accident ::) as a bit of a Godsend?

Malc

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 08:25:28 pm »

As they used to say in Cheetham Hill: "If business is bad, have a fire".
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 08:36:55 am »

If you want to see a peir come to sunny Southport. Ours was dismantled and rebuilt a few years back.

http://www.southportpier.com/

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 08:56:27 am »

I can imagine how the folks up in Fleetwood would feel about a load of 'ghastly' apartments on their pier.

I suspect that they may see this unfortunate accident ::) as a bit of a Godsend?

Malc

Or perhaps, now the listed building has gone there can be no good grounds to refuse planning permission.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 12:02:14 pm »

Or perhaps, now the listed building has gone there can be no good grounds to refuse planning permission.
other than good sense, having seen the site.  The irredeemably greedy are always happy to take money off the dim or desperate and then leave them struggling.  An apartment building that is actually part of a sea wall really can't be a good idea.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

nhp651

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 05:35:43 pm »

with the howling raging northwesterly's and high spring tides that lash that part of the beach, only lunatics and idiot "out of towners" would even consider buying a flat on that exposed pier!!!!
Gawd 'elp 'em if they do?? ;D {-) ;D  :'( :'(

Reade Models

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 05:47:15 pm »

Malc

'ghastly' wasn't my terminology - it was used extensively in the UK media.

I can't see that one rising from the ashes? Looking at the state of the remains of the piles, it would seem likely that the pier will never be used again.

Malc

nhp651

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 09:33:38 pm »

actually, malc.
i was down ther tonight having a look, and there isn't one pile or tie bar out of place, bent or buckled, amaizingly from first viewing. the timber floor and wooden and ally/ and other combustable materials seam to have burnt upwards and the amount of water pumped in might have saved the pilings, which is the main structure. i know the model boat lake at the top of the prom from where they pumped most of the water is now much emptier than it was, on sunday..............you might say, the model boaters saved the day, {-) ;D

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 09:58:08 pm »

No, ghost, that was an excellent pun. Well done, dreadnought.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.