Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer tug hull mouldings?  (Read 21879 times)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SPRINGER TUG RESCUE BOAT MOULDINGS
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 10:53:21 am »

Yep make yours the basic "regulation" shape and size. All other variations will be up to builders.
..well can you land on this?

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 02:24:08 pm »

Hi Martin those ar the plans i used to build this one,thanks for the info ill build it the standard size,i was thinking of doing some details on the hull such as rivets and a built in skeg i this legal?.
Mart

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 02:32:06 pm »

Yes, and the customers will love you for it O0  A variation would be weld lines for more modern builds. If they dont like rivets etc they can be easily sanded off, same with hacksaw for skeg. Show us what you`ve got :o :D

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »

Yes, but all means do detailing, but keep to the standard external dimensions. And I am sure you donot need reminding tha t these are the dimension of the finished hull and not the dimensions of the plug.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 02:46:17 pm »

Mounding in the skeg is a good idea but can be tricky to cut for the prop tube.
How difficult would it be to make it a as separate moulding?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Springer tug hull mouldings?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 03:15:59 pm »

Naw, keep the skeg hollow , fit tube through hole in rear of skeg, fill voids with anything, wood, epoxy putty, etc.  Measure from stern and allow space for 2" rudder and  gap for prop. Easier than trying to drill long hole at correct angle through solid wood.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 03:23:31 pm »

Good idea Arrow!  O0

(I skeg was ply sheet, about 6mm)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 04:00:10 pm »

Thanks guys whatever size my plug is is what the finnished boats come out,the skeg will be hollow i was going to use a solid piece of wood on the plug once moulded the finnished one will be hollow.The measurement on the plans doesnt mention but i asume those are the dimensions after sheeting etc.does it include the deck thickness or not?,if not not to worry but if it does id need to make the sides a tad lower than the plans to allow for sheeting them?any thoughts on this?.
Mart

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 04:10:09 pm »

The height is not critical as many modellers add a bulwark at the front, if not all the way round so I guess that's the minimun deck height and maximum length & breadth 

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 05:09:26 pm »

That was why i was considering making them higher so they could drop the deck to its orriginal height and have a bullwark all the way round ready made ?,maybe i can offer either or  what do you think?.That way i can build in some details like hawse pipes for mooring lines and towing ropes etc also for drain holes at the transom.
mART

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 05:41:58 pm »

Sounds like a good idea. Could you mould in a small cut line into the hull?

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 06:05:29 pm »

Cut line so they can trim it if required you mean? if so i guess so but that said im sure a bit of tape and a dremmel or a hacksaw will make an easy job of it.Im now thinking of making a deck from glass with a hatch thats flush to the deck so they can build on it and it will all remove so you can get inside,maybe leave 1" of deck each side and cpl of inches for and aft sound good?.ILL attach the deck from inside with glass tape so you wont see the join.Ill probably make two types some with the higher deck and some with standard deck.I will make the first few with clear gelcoat then maybe make a few in diff colours,what colours would you suggest.
Mart

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 06:18:10 pm »

Any deck with hatches would be btter with a 1" high coming round the hole might be better. Dont forget fat hands and big batteries have got to get in there {-) A patterned deck would be nice, say anti skid panels or for older boats wood planking. Just an idea O0

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2008, 07:16:18 pm »

got yaa i did something similar on my sailboat,paterned decks you dont want much do yaa lol.i could do that using plastic card to simulate plank lines?.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2008, 11:11:56 pm »

A couple of patches of coarse sandpaper for anti-skid might be easier than planking then :D. Check some of the scale tug guy effort and copy a typical style. O0

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2008, 11:49:35 pm »

Hi i dont know how well it would work on a  plug it might not work by the time ive waxed over it etc ?,good way to do it on an actual boat though i never thought of that.This  might take longer than anticipated  {-).

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2008, 09:38:48 am »

Heres what im thinking of doing simple deck atached to correct height then a large opening with a shoebox lid as a water barrier what do you think?1 1/2" between lid and sides 2" up forward and aft ok or too big?.lid will be about 3/4" that sound ok?,all comments appreciated.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2008, 09:45:27 am »

I was also thinking of prejoining the deck ,i can do it two ways either a seamless join that will need sanding and then painting over or i could produce a small flange round the top for the deck flange to join to the hull this would then make a flange say 1/4" that you could then attach some rubber or silicone to to form a rub rail would this be legal?.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2008, 09:55:25 am »

Yep  bumper strip flange all round sounds good. I`m sure it would be legal, just like tyres strung along the sides , they are legal.  Fitted deck would be a bonus for builders.  Like the red oxide colour, good scale base colour.

catengineman

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2008, 10:27:16 am »

Sounds like these moulds are getting more expensive but the post :'(

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2008, 10:48:33 am »

Naa i have materials allready i just want to get the inital design sorted before i make them,once i get them done and a hull from them ill post a few pics and list a cpl for sale to anyone interested.Flange it is then,i find an easy rub rail is to use some rubber or silicone tubing and split it down one side with a sharp knife and it should slip right over,a bit of ca or superglue and jobs a goodun as they say.I might leave the rivet details off for now see if theres an interest first.

chingdevil

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2008, 10:59:14 am »

I think it would be nice if the deck was pre-joined and did not have a hole in it. Then people could put the hole where they want, my personnal preference when bulding a springer is not to have the cabin too close to the front because of the amount of water that washes over the deck.

Like Arrow I like the colour of the resin, if the paint gets knocked off then the boat ages naturally rust showing through.

Brian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2008, 12:09:25 pm »

Good point Ching. How about a flat no hole, no detail lid and an optional one with the one described with lipped basic hatch/hole ? 

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2008, 12:17:33 pm »

Good point ching ill make it a flat deck with a  flanged join to the hull then you can cut your own opening,ill make the other type with the raised lid later too just to see how it works i can allways set it back further from the front no probs there.Just finnished the plug it just needs a bit of filling sanding and then primer.a few pins to punch in and fill the holes etc.I think ill leave the rivets for another time,maybe youd like to look one over when i build one mate,be my guniea pig so to speak lol.ive rounded the corners and also where the bottom sheet meets the side not much just sanded it a tad so its not sharp was that the right thing to do?.what thickness should i do the skeg 3/8" or thicker 1/2" maybe?.
Mart

chingdevil

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2008, 12:23:58 pm »

I always round the joints on mine, in wood you get a better paint finish if you do not have any sharp corners.

Brian
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.