Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer tug hull mouldings?  (Read 21881 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Springer tug hull mouldings?
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2008, 12:26:23 pm »

Yea i know Brian just didnt want to round the edge then people say i want a sharp edge lol.Any input on the thickness of the skeg.
Mart

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2008, 03:25:09 pm »

I like the idea of the flat deck with no holes, everyone is catered for then!
I would say a skeg of 10-13mm should enclose most shafts but I would suggest a
taper of at least 20-30mm towards the prop.

What price do you hope to 'knock them out' for?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2008, 03:43:17 pm »

martno1fan

Just a few points here

1/ To get the complete flavour of a Springer, you need to read this..
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3471.0
.. and this..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522762

Most of the information you are looking for is contained within these two threads.

2/ You need to build a wood / ply Springer so you can get a feel for what will work and wont work.

3/ Then you can build a plug / mold and produce some GF Springer hulls.

4/ Most start with the basic 18" x 8" and do their own 'thing' from there. By molding in certain things in to a GF hull, you will be limiting peoples options as to what they can build and therefore limiting your customers.

5/ I can build a wooden / ply Springer hull (two sides, bow, stern and bottom) for about $20 (11 GB pounds).. Can you produce a hull for about that cost?.

6/ There are already GF Springer hull builders in the UK and also in the USA... I'm sure they can count on their fingers how many Springers they have sold. Dont expect large volume production runs!..

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2008, 04:48:31 pm »

First of all thanks for the coments but let me tell you this you are in the united states i believe,prices here are not so cheap .You say you can build a plywood hull for 11 pounds good for you,would you sell one for that i doubt it very much,however lots of people dont like to spend the time to build a hull they prefer to have a ready made hull to add there own top structures to.Can i sell a glass hull for 11 pounds most certainly not nor would i want to,the materials alone will cost close to that.What you will gain with a glass hull is strength and longevity and a smooth gelcoat finnish that doesnt need painting unless you wish to do so,if you dont want a glass one dont buy one simple as that.I am not looking to rip anyone off here mereley to offer a good quality product at a fair price.I would think price will be in the region of £25 each but for that you will get a complete hull with deck installed.By the way ive built lots of wooden boats in my lifetime and i know what things cost and the work that goes into it,my hulls are for those not wanting to build fully from scratch im sure there is a market for them but thanks for your concern  ;).By the way im not a buisness just a hobbiest any money i make goes straight back into the hobby :).
Mart

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2008, 05:50:56 pm »

I get all my wood free (except the 1/16th ply) from the village recycling depot. But then the Scots have a reputation for being "careful" with money. I think part of the appeal of the Springer is that it is a beginner boat and to have a newby learn to knock some wood into an internationally known fun boat with many uses, might not  be as appealing in a glass version.  A lot who would like a glass version probably wont have skills or facilities for that route. I do think there might  a market for hulls though.   Me biased ?   One of Norry`s glass :embarrassed: , five woodies  :angel:!
..well can you land on this?

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2008, 06:03:44 pm »

As i say if you prefer wood thats your choice im not asking you to buy one,mine will have a perfectly smooth surface no sanding nor painting needed unless people wish to do so.That said the first one will be clear gelcoat so you can see my work and know its good quality.Thanks for your help ,and ill have something to show you probably tomorrow as the bottom plug is painted and drying.Anyone interested feel free to comment.
Mart

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2008, 06:42:28 pm »

First of all thanks for the coments but let me tell you this you are in the united states i believe,prices here are not so cheap .

Can i sell a glass hull for 11 pounds most certainly not nor would i want to,the materials alone will cost close to that.What you will gain with a glass hull is strength and longevity
I would think price will be in the region of £25 each but for that you will get a complete hull with deck installed.

By the way ive built lots of wooden boats in my lifetime and i know what things cost and the work that goes into it,my hulls are for those not wanting to build fully from scratch im sure there is a market for them but thanks for your concern  ;).

Yes, I'm aware of where i am sitting... and (having originally come from GB), prices of petrol, houses AND model products are cheaper here in the US than in GB and the rest of Europe.

I think the last 'glass' hull i saw change hands was for less than 10 GB pounds. (I dont know what Norry charges)

Yes, I've built one or two wooden hulled boats.
As you are already aware having read both of the Springer threads i mentioned above, I'm probably one of the most prolific builders of wooden Springers in the world. You have posted a pic of my 6th on your thread over on RC Universe.. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7937381/tm.htm a Springer of mine that is on a 'World tour'. I'm currently building my 7th and 8th...

I would like to think there is a huge market for GF Springers in the UK and the rest of the world... but i somehow doubt it.

Offer a basic / quality Springer hull.. with a basic deck.. and see what response you get..

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2008, 06:48:58 am »

Right, having just retread all the latest posts, I'm going to roll back the topic to the last actual
constructive post and we'll start again on Monday.

Martin - sigh.......  :-\

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.