Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fire boat 39  (Read 13700 times)

Garabaldy

Re: Fire boat 39
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 12:03:45 am »

A bit of elbow grease and lots of filler is fine.  It will work for me.

Got the hull off the building board tonight.  Pictures to follow soon

Edit on request - Martin

Garabaldy

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2008, 11:09:27 pm »

Some more picutres.  Ive built a mount for the speed controlers etc...  I havent turned anything on yet.  Does my wiring look safe enough?  It would be good to get a 2nd opinion on this bit as electrical things are not a strong point of mine.  Hopefully I'l get a bath test some time over the next couple of days. 

Garabaldy

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2008, 11:27:16 pm »

update:

Got everything running.  Fitted water intakes/outlets.  I know the water scoop isnt scale but i have hidden it as best i can just between the rudder and prop.  I tested it out before i put the silicone tubing on and a got a spout of water a good few inches high!  The brushless motors run sweet.  The speed controllers are a bit funny with this "double click" action to reverse them but apart from that they are good.  They are musical too haha!  By that i mean they sing when the motor is running, its quite bizzare and sounds very futuristic.  The bath test went well though.  I was only running one motor but even with that on 3/4 throttle half the bath water ended up on the floor!  Very powerfull!  I think im going to add a 2nd 12v battery nearer the stern to increase running times + i need the ballast.  the next size down from 7amp should do it i think.  heres the pics

Garabaldy

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 09:11:21 pm »

ive been quite busy.  Ive smoothed the hull out and now its nearly ready to recieve paint.  I bought a load of y shaped tee pieces and some super flexible pvc tubing for the monitors.  Water pump installed and it works well.  I built a board which i have mounted the actuating servos for the microswitchs to switch the pumps and lights.  Decks are currently being cut and glued.   I have decided to make access hatches large and beyond the superstructures so im working out how to seal them.  I think i read somewhere else on the forum that you can fit in the shelf around the hatch for the removable deck section to sit on then run a thin  bead of silicone glue round it and wrap the removable deck in cling film then fit it.  Leave to dry.  Then the theory is the silicone wont stick to the cling film and there should be a pretty perfect silicon seal left?  Does this work?  If it does it seems ideal and simple.

Pictures soon.

G

TugCowboy

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 05:00:12 pm »

Looks excellent, please excuse the question but are those the ESC's and Motors that you often see going on eBay?

Alex

Garabaldy

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2008, 06:37:00 pm »

the motors are from overlander.co.uk and the speed controllers do appear on ebay quite often.  They are seaking 35amps water cooled.

Gary

Garabaldy

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 10:48:24 pm »

quick update - sorry no pictures....

She had her maiden voyage on sunday.  WOW the whole boat lifts right out of the water at full throttle.  Really impressive!  Ive managed to squeeze loads of functions, lights, water canons, i can aim 1 of the fire monitors via the transmitter too, tank steering.  She handles really well in the watter.  Extremely agile.  Took on quite alot of water though as i dont have the hatches properly sealed.  Well ive just about finished doing that now though.  Hopefully get to the loch again this weekend and il try and get some pictures this time.

G

Garabaldy

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 10:56:09 pm »

some pictures of the progress.  starting on the detailing now.  Ive got window frames, doors etc made up.  just waiting for paint.  got loads of other stuff made up to add but it all too is waiting for paint and i currently have no money to buy any!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 04:30:57 am »

Looking good Garabaldy  :-))

What plans are you using? Looks like a plan I've seen in 'Model Boats' many years ago...
Just a word of caution about the water piping, try slipping a "doubler" piece of silicon tubing over the ends to
 prevent any pipes coming adrift under pressure.

Will you be cooling the motors (motor mounts)?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Garabaldy

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 10:07:34 am »

cheers martin.

Its the fireboat 39 plans the link is http://www.myhobbystore.com/2066/Colyer-Fireboat-39-MM1373.html

The motor  mounts are made from wood so im a little deep to try and cool them now.  The motors don't even get warm when running though.  On the maiden voyage she was going flat out most of the time and even the speed controllers were still cold - it was a very cold scottish winter afternoon though!

I think im just going to put small tie wraps on the pipes to stop them coming off.  Ive been looking around for a cheap quick connect to break the pipe to remove the wheel house but all i can find are really expensive ones.

crzydoyle11

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 01:58:06 pm »

That is a great job with the Fire boat you put together there. If you have any picture of her in the water love to see her doing her thing, also maybe you can puit her on U-tube and we can see the fireboat in acton on video moving around when she is ready. But really Great JOb   Garabaldy :-))

Stavros

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 11:49:03 pm »

If I am right in thinking and I know I am with this one!!! it's  a plan MM1373 Yes Martin it is an old plan,it is the identical hull to mine

Stavros

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2008, 11:56:49 pm »

THAT'S WERE I'VE SEEN IT RECENTLY!
Thanks Stavros.
(See you Saturday mate.... shoulder willing!  :(()
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Garabaldy

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2008, 12:13:11 am »

yeeeees!

i hope mine looks half as good as that when im finished  :-)

Garabaldy

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2008, 09:38:08 pm »

on the mast there are 2 lights face downwards.  Does anyone know what colour these are or what they are for?

Thankyou

G

ggeorge

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2008, 05:25:36 am »

Hi Gary,
  There is nothing wrong with that planking job as far as I can see.It looks very good. Keep up the good work and keep us all posted
G. George

Garabaldy

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 08:29:43 am »

oh by the way that last black and white picture i posted isnt my boat.  Its the picture off the myhobbyzone website.  Just to clear that up.

Garabaldy

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2009, 10:47:44 pm »

Thanks ggeorge.  I loved doing the planking.  Alot of fun

Heres a little bit of progress.  I still have more detailing to do but im getting there.  Even though i have concentrated my efforts on my other build lately. 

heres the pics.  My old boy was in control when the photos were being taken so there isnt actually a photo of her going flat out.  You can tell by the wake he only had one motor running too as he didnt realise it was "tank steering" bless! 

During this sail i actually managed to do a bit of damage.  The loch is super shallow and the boat hit the bottom a few times.  I've cracked off one of the plastic bushes on the port shaft and both rudder shafts have been bent backwards.  Nothing too serious though.

Garabaldy

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 10:49:01 pm »

Would help if i attached the pics  :embarrassed:

Garabaldy

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 10:56:10 pm »

Yeah thats on loch of skene again.  It was boxing day - bitter cold!  Its a cracking loch to sail on just gotta watch out for the shallow bits which seem to be around the entrance of the boat house.  Yeah the fire monitors work really well, i get a squirt of about 4 or 5 metres i think.  I would have a picture of them working but i forgot the connecting hose on this sail :D

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2009, 02:44:12 pm »

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 22 queries.