Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Gas 26cc Rigger/ Hydroplane  (Read 75645 times)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
Gas 26cc Rigger/ Hydroplane
« on: September 10, 2008, 04:35:56 pm »

I am thinking of building a 26cc Zen or Sikk engine rigger/ hydroplane. Now thinking is very well but what I need is a plan to build it from.
Dose anyone have a plan that works????
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Gas 26cc Rigger/ Hydroplane
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 12:03:03 am »

Fire fighter from Tom Moorehouse at International Waters
http://www.firefighterboats.com/

ids987

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 04:16:23 pm »

Bill,

If you're looking for an outrigger type of hydro, and you don't mind parting with a few quid (about £20) for the plans, I'm with Webby. The Firefighters are well proven (and well race proven), and you can download the plans as soon as you pay with PayPal. Tom Moorehouse also runs the forum which Webby mentioned, and seems like a thoroughly decent sort.
The one you would potentially want is the Firefighter Gas. It doesn't seem to appear if you click the boat plans link, but put firefighter gas in the search box, et Voila.......
Not sure if you're looking for something quite that fast though. I don't think you'd be wanting to run one of those at our usual Sunday venue. I'm guessing that you should be able to get something around 90MpH out of a gas Firefighter - probably more if you worked at it.

Ian

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 04:49:27 pm »

Hi Ian
I will maybe do some low speed at Stevenage for testing. Llanberis was /is such a large area, thats what I had in mined to open it up on.
I have a plan for a Firefighter 21 set up. Once you have payed and downloaded it you still have to get it printed out full size. This may be a prob, however I think Office world will print it out full size.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 11:41:21 pm »

Bill, for printing try your local sign shop. Many have a large format printer that will do the job.

andyn

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 07:44:42 pm »

There's one in town next to / near to Time Tunnel

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 09:51:30 pm »

Hi Andy
Do you mean a print shop? I have to download the plans yet Hang fire.

andyn

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 10:09:17 pm »

I do indeed, but how about plonking the sikky in that hydro you've already got, it'll be fine, so long as you don't stop....

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 12:43:46 am »

Bill why not try one like mine?,she runs in most conditions pretty well although i wouldnt go doing 60 in heavy chop  ;).shipping was reasonable and price of the kit was good too.
Mart
http://www.zippkits.com/

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 10:13:25 am »

My mate Johno from Australia has built several of the firefighter riggers in fact he has some connection with them i believe.He reckons they are some of the best runners you can build,the thing i was told is how difficult they are to get to run right as they take a lot of setting up.Might not be a good boat for a first hydro or rigger,thats why i went for the shovelnose as they run great and dont take much setting up unless they are scale ones then they dont run very well. A guy local to me has an orriginal scale slo mo shun from an american dumas kit,very rare and although it runs pretty fast in a straight line it uses most of the pond just to turn which can get pretty scarey.
Mart

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 01:21:50 pm »

Hello
I have got my self a "Derek Owen Hydroplane Kit which is part built. I sure could use some more info about this boat. Dose any one Know how to get hold of Derek Owen. The boat is a Eon. I'm going to put a 26cc Zen in it. Well it's something to do on theses dark nights??? :} :} :} :}

andyn

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 02:52:17 pm »

And a very nice rigger it is too.

And after about half an hour of extensive searching, I can tell you he doesn't exist in the land of google %)

I shall persevere though, probably after I've finished this OMRA boat price chart for Martin

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 10:38:31 am »

Hello
I have got my self a "Derek Owen Hydroplane Kit which is part built. I sure could use some more info about this boat. Dose any one Know how to get hold of Derek Owen. The boat is a Eon. I'm going to put a 26cc Zen in it. Well it's something to do on theses dark nights??? :} :} :} :}
Not familiar with this one what kind of hydro is it?,not sure what size lake you run on but im running at over 60 mph on my lake which isnt massive by any means.
Mart

andyn

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 05:48:15 pm »

It's some kind of 3-Point Outrigger hydro O0

Still haven't managed to find it yet on the interweb.

You fixed that Makara yet?

Bet the rigger's going to be red isn't it?

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 08:11:49 pm »

Hi Andy/ Martin
I have put the rebuilt Sikk engine in the Makara. The Zen needs new front and back main bearings + seals. New piston then it will be fine.
I am going to take a look at firefighter site as i have a feeling it may be one of there's.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 12:41:48 am »

What happened to the sikk? which one is it the 26 or 27 cc?
Mart

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 06:03:49 pm »

Hi Martin
The Sikk can to a sicky end when the head gave way by the Ex port. it is the 27 cc type. It look ok now but i will be runing it in for a bit If I go on sunday. I am thinking of going to to Model boat show. I needs to get some bits like a Futaba 2.4 ghz rX ply wood rudder + drive unit ect. Loads of bit to get for the hydro.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 07:07:06 pm »

Bill thought so they seem prone to that have you changed the gasket for a copper one? due to the two bolt head if you use the stock gasket the head can rock when tightening and cause failure.Maybe an idea to change to copper if you havent yet allready ?.
Mart

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 07:33:12 pm »

Hi Martin
No it's got a paper gasket at the mo. I will get a copper one if you think it will help.
I think the main resson it gave up was because i think the head bolts losened off on one side which caused the breakage. I am going to keep an eye on it and pull the head bolts down after its' run for about half an hour and recheak them  every hours runing time.
Cheers for now

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 09:21:11 pm »

Hi Martin
No it's got a paper gasket at the mo. I will get a copper one if you think it will help.
I think the main resson it gave up was because i think the head bolts losened off on one side which caused the breakage. I am going to keep an eye on it and pull the head bolts down after its' run for about half an hour and recheak them  every hours runing time.
Cheers for now

Thats exactly why you need to remove that gasket and install a copper one mate also to stop the bolts loosening i know a lot of the guys in the states tie the two together by drilling a hole through the head of the bolts and wiring them together so they cant loosen.With the paper gasket you cant get the bolts evenly tightened propperly as theres only two which causes the gasket to squash if you over tighten one side and then the head on the motor rocks when running and bingo thats the end of that.The copper gasket is a cheap fix and you should be fine then,,id wire the bolts too because loctite wont hold them either.I have a mate in the states who has 30 of those motors and he advises that too .you need a copper .020 gasket  :-))
Mart
heres an interesting thread on the subject,might be of some help for you mate.free to join too
http://www.jrcbd.com/showthread.php?t=11738&highlight=sikk+head+bolts

andyn

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 06:00:16 pm »

Hang on let me get this straight, youre putting the tuned Zen in it? It'll skewer all the ducks just before it takes off up the ramp.... %)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 06:41:51 pm »

& your point is Andy???
 Lets see how it turns out.  I think the Sikk will go in the hydro and when i rebuilt the zen that is going back in the Makara. I the parts on order from the USA. They are all a bit hung over today. I wounder why.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 07:17:19 pm »

Bill i doubt the big sikk will have the rpm for a hydro? best with the smaller sikk or the modded zen.
Mart

omra85

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 08:08:59 pm »

Hi Bill
This is a UK multi racers site but it may prove interesting. He hasn't got very far yet though  {:-{
http://www.cobraracing.co.uk/new.htm
Cheers - see you Sunday
Danny

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2008, 09:11:33 pm »

Cheers Danny. See you @ the AGM.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.