Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Gas 26cc Rigger/ Hydroplane  (Read 75642 times)

das boot

Re: Gas 26cc Rigger/ Hydroplane
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2009, 01:20:03 pm »

I bought it from Euan, Mart, but I don't know if he's building any more of them. He tells me that it was built from a plan by a chap in Devon(name unknown). It's 28"x14" across the sponsons, and has a Graupner Speed 700 9.6 bb turbo motor installed with a matching flexi coupler, it runs a 42 mm Graupner prop, a Viking w/cooled esc and has(or will have when they arrive)2 6cell 4300a/h battery packs.

I've got so much tape in here now mate, I could wrap up Woollies with it! I'll just try them all, find one I like and stick with it.
(stick with it?...STICK with ...oh, never mind)  ;)

Rich

andyn

« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2009, 02:21:29 pm »

We managed to go a hundred and twenty four replies without a rubbish joke Rich....

das boot

« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2009, 02:37:32 pm »

Sorry Andy...just had to be done! No more...promise.   :D

Here's a pic of the rigger with it's new hatch cover laid on...now all I need a real macho name for it.

Rich

(oh..note the custom build boat stand  :embarrassed:)

andyn

« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2009, 02:53:29 pm »

now all I need a real macho name for it.

How about FLUFFLES or THE FLUFFINATOR ?

das boot

« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2009, 02:56:58 pm »

Ye Gods...there's always one, isn't there? Fluffles indeed!! I thought of The Duck Destroyer...or The Duckinator.

Fluffles...huh!!!   ;D

Rich

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2009, 04:20:23 pm »

Looks good mate should go well,good luck with it  and keep us informed,you might be surprised by the speed  ok2.
Mart

das boot

« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2009, 04:51:49 pm »

Thanks Mart...Bill...Andy...and everybody for all the help, suggestions and advice you've given me, I appreciate it all. Even the name suggestions... ;D

Hopefully, the maiden voyage will take place on a secret water over the weekend, I'll post some pics up of what happens. As we say in all the best places..."watch this space".

Looks good mate should go well,good luck with it  and keep us informed,you might be surprised by the speed  ok2.
Mart

Don't you mean "frightened by the speed".... :o

Rich

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2009, 04:53:14 pm »

Ye Gods...there's always one, isn't there? Fluffles indeed!! I thought of The Duck Destroyer...or The Duckinator.

Fluffles...huh!!!   ;D

Rich
Rich Go for UPDUCK !
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

das boot

« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2009, 05:32:20 pm »

Bill...I think that A DUCK UP is probably nearer!!!  O0  O0

Rich

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2009, 05:57:52 pm »

Bill...I think that A DUCK UP is probably nearer!!!  O0  O0

Rich
I did put that down first of all , Then I wondered if it would get a rap from the moderators. So I changed it.  The New cover looks OK.
Been thinking today about the motor in your boat.  2 things. 1 It looks like a standard 540 motor. IF it is you could get a bit more Speed out of the boat replacing it with a Hot buggy motor. Still you are only going to find that out when you run it.
2 DON'T be tempted to run it in the bath tub. I did and it was a hard job telling the wife why there was chips out of the Fiber glass Opps ! + the fact it Will empty the water out all over the walls etc. Opps again.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2009, 06:12:41 pm »

Rich it will go well with that 700 turbo ?,you could also go brushless when you want more speed.That mini cat my lad has scared the heck out of us when we got it running well,its as fast as my stock zenoah powered vee if not faster.Your going to have lots of fun with that thing im sure,as will Bill with his once he gets it dialed in.
Mart

das boot

« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2009, 06:49:38 pm »

Euan tells me that the motor is a water cooled Graupner Speed 700 Turbo BB...it looks pretty big when compared to a stock 540. I'm really looking forward to giving it a run this weekend if all goes according to plan and all the bits arrive.

Bill...I have tried the motor VERY briefly on a 9volt cell I had laying around, it frightened the life out of me! I'm more used to a pair of 380's running on a 6 volt gel cel, not this thing! And as for the bathroom tales...I'd have thought a man of your obvious calibre would have known better! Ron Perrott, and old model submariner friend, once famously tested his home brewed torpedoes in the bath...he had to explain to his good lady why there wasn't an end to their bath any more. He'd fired the torpedo and blown the end of the bath off...very embarrassing!!

We shall have fun mate, come the weekend...at least you have a head start on me!

Rich

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2009, 11:27:17 pm »

Hi Rich
Now the bit about blowing the end of the bath out I like very much.  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) Oh boy arn't we just daft at times??
Your motor set up sounds Ok then. Yes they rev there ass off. Don't foget to get someone to take some pic's or better still video.
Cheers.

das boot

« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2009, 07:46:06 pm »

It's all good fun Bill...or so they tell me!

Another question for you guys...how much rudder throw should I be aiming for? Maximum throw, then adjust from there?

Rich

(Oh, by the way, I've got a name for the boat...."1st Attempt". How's that sound?)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2009, 09:01:58 pm »

...."1st Attempt".  Sounds just fine, however I think it's been done before. Rudder ? yes mine works about 30 deg either side of the center line.  You will find you will not use all the movement when its running but it's nice to have in case you have to do a sharp turn.
Had mine on the water this afternoon. Put my GPS in to track the speed. I got Max speed 41MPH. I really do need to try it out on a larger lake to give it full steam ahead. Andy & I may go up the M1 to MK in a week or so.

das boot

« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2009, 09:18:57 pm »

I can't have a name that's been used before, that will never do! Oh well, back to the drawing board...

Thanks for the rudder info Bill...I'll go with that as a start setting and go from there.

41mph...sounds frighteningly rapid to me, what's it's top speed, any ideas? Perhaps you should go drag racing with it?

Good luck if you do go to the big water, although this weekend isn't exactly sounding like boating weather, maybe snow cat weather!

Rich

andyn

« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2009, 09:26:21 pm »

The problem with our lake is as soon as it gets anywhere near winding up it's time to turn. Off to pastures new and lakes bigger...

Aiming for 70 odd mph, it's got plenty more to give and those fiddley bits on the carb need fiddling with ok2

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2009, 10:56:57 pm »

Andy
The Carb Dose NOT need tweking just yet. Don't forget the engine has had a total rebuild. It has just about had 1 liter of petrol in it. It still needs a bit more running in. I may put the super doper spark plug on for Sunday I May even swop the carb to my 257.
However same prob THE LAKE IS A BIT SMALL.

andyn

« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2009, 11:45:15 pm »

You're going a bit too diagonal towards us because of the bouy methinks. I'll go move that bouy for you, and some ducks while im at it.

das boot

« Reply #144 on: January 30, 2009, 04:40:47 pm »

Bit of an update..

Radio arrived today(thanks Paul)
Foned Vapextech, they assure me that the battery packs will be here tomorrow morning. So far..so good.

Weather forecast is for snow...no so good. Fingers crossed the forecasters have got it wrong..

Rich

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2009, 05:41:26 pm »

Snow Snow Snow!!!!!
Blow that stuff as long as it dose not ice over Im going boating.
Anyway the weather men have got it all wronge, it will snow Sunday night/ Monday morn so we can't get into work on Monday. Ho ray :-)) :-)) :} :} :D :embarrassed: ;D O0 {-) {-) %%

das boot

« Reply #146 on: January 30, 2009, 06:19:11 pm »

errr...no, if it snows I'll get called in to work to go either gritting or sweeping the bl**dy stuff! Oh look...I seem to have left my works phone in the van...oops!  %)

Hopefully I'll get the rigger wet this Sunday...good luck to you Bill, hope you hit the 70mph target!

Rich

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: January 30, 2009, 07:06:18 pm »

Bill get that thing opened up  ok2,theyre meant to corner at full tilt yaaknow  :}.Just messing mate but just for example id say the hydro i run is hitting top speed withing a few yrds the acceleration is frightening so you should be able to hit well over your 41 mph with yours no matter the size of the lake.Whats acceleration like from launch ?, it should be upto speed withing a few feet to be honest.Some video would be good so we can see how shes running.
Mart

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2009, 07:54:46 pm »

Hi Martin
It gets away just fine. I,m going to try out my Iridium plug it it this weekend. i am holding the engine back a bit longer as it has got a new piston bearings etc. It has just about 1 liter of fuel so far, not enough to be run in yet. I am thinking of going up to Milton Keynes in a few weeks time in the mean time I am happy just running it in. After all I don't want to do a 65 mile round trip with a boat that lets me down. When I do go to MK I will clock it again, i am sure it will be fine.

das boot

« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2009, 08:56:48 pm »

Any of you guys ever considered fitting a wing to your hyros? Something like this...(pic attached)

Rich
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.