Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Gas 26cc Rigger/ Hydroplane  (Read 75646 times)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
Re: Gas 26cc Rigger/ Hydroplane
« Reply #150 on: January 30, 2009, 09:03:25 pm »

Hi Rich . I don't need one as it is very stable so far.  Have a good run on Sunday.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

das boot

« Reply #151 on: January 30, 2009, 09:35:42 pm »

Cheers Bill...and you.

Rich

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2009, 08:49:50 am »

Ill be looking forward to seeing some video of your riggers guys  ok2,Bill if you need any setup tips have a look over on Jims boat dock theres lots of great info on there regarding riggers,believe me those things can be tricky to setup.Lots of things to adjust such as sponson angles as well as your usual strut adjustments etc,im sure you will get there in the end,out of interest what rigger prop are you using ?.
Rich no need for wings on most hydros,if you look at mine for instance the angle of the deck forward adds downforce to counter the lift created by the tunnell.They do look cool on the turbine style piccklefork hydros though.Heres a pic of one a friend of mine built from some Newton plans  looks very nice .Im thinking of designing an F1 tunnel style boat to take a zenoah motor,ill build the plug from foam and balsa then mould off it and make a glass one,mine will maybe have an inboard motor to start but i might fab up an outboard setup similar to the one in the pics,just need to find someone who can weld allumnium for me.I like the simple design of  this outboard setup,this guy has it on an aeromarine hull i believe.
Mart

das boot

« Reply #153 on: January 31, 2009, 10:51:37 am »

Are you sure? That thing looks like something from NASA...are we talking like fast here? Or bl**dy fast?

Batteries arrived just now...it's a tight fit in there, I think they will go in. Be some wire shortening needed though...

Rich

(just thought...haven't got the charger yet!) Another classic Homer moment....doh!!

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #154 on: January 31, 2009, 11:16:00 am »

Looks good Rich.
Just one thing. Those Tamiya battery connections don't like lots of current and will get very HOT.  When you have done your first run check it over just in case. There is other types of connectors on the market that are 100% better.
Have a good run !
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: January 31, 2009, 12:00:44 pm »

Actually Rich theyre not as fast as my roundnose hydro especially with that heavy outboard on the back,but they look cool and are pretty fast just difficult to turn at speed without blowing over apparently.heres a vid of my lads mini hydro with his old setup ,still nippy but since we changed servo to smaller and a new battery its much faster ,used to blow over a lot too but we got that sorted now,think it was too back heavy as we burnt out the orriginal mini servo and used a normal size one for these early test runs haha. Also checkout my zip gas hydro on my thread now thats bl**dy fast lol.I agree with Bill try some bullet connectors for your setup,also lipo batterys are better as theyre lighter,but you might want to save those for whe you change to a brushless setup  ok2.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MAeZbMIXJj8&feature=channel_page

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: January 31, 2009, 12:33:52 pm »

Link to my gas hydro build in case your interested Rich.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9838.0

das boot

« Reply #157 on: January 31, 2009, 01:20:30 pm »

Thanks Mart...interesting viewing! (must remember my tablets tomorrow...)
That's a nice build mate, cracking looking boats aren't they?

Bill...no worries mate, that's just how the cell packs came. Euan sent me some gold plated bullet connectors for the cells, soon as I'm  done building the new stand I'm going to resolder the connectors to the cell packs.

Rich

(check out the sooper new boat stand...)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: January 31, 2009, 02:47:53 pm »

Glad you like it mate yes theyre great looking boats and they run awesome ,even in chop which is good because its allways choppy where i run.Im half through building a plug of a similar one to my own design so i can make some glass ones,when i get close to paint and moulding ill post a few pics of it on a new thread.Good luck with your rigger tomorrow i like the look of it and the stand too  :-)).
Mart

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #159 on: January 31, 2009, 02:55:34 pm »

Rich. Nice stand, B&Q must be emptied out of plastic pipe fittings now.   :-)) {-) {-) {-)

das boot

« Reply #160 on: January 31, 2009, 03:38:29 pm »

I had to actually BUY the fittings for the stand Bill, there wasn't any in the stores at work.... >>:-( >>:-(  <*<

Rich

Davew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: January 31, 2009, 03:43:34 pm »

Hi
Rich hope you do not mind me asking where did you get that hydroplane from and did it come as a complete kit off parts ,as i fancy doing one there look great fun.

Thanks davew
I am not sure about this

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2009, 05:03:46 pm »

Hi
Rich hope you do not mind me asking where did you get that hydroplane from and did it come as a complete kit off parts ,as i fancy doing one there look great fun.

Thanks davew
I started out witha Bilzard Ulta Hydro. http://www.finedesignrc.com/hullsclimate.asp there is a pic on this site. It is VERY easy to build and runs very well.
I got mine from Pandon models I know they are still in bis I just cant find there web site at the mo. If I find it I will post it up.

das boot

« Reply #163 on: January 31, 2009, 05:10:37 pm »

Hi

Thanks davew

Hi Dave,

I bought this one as it is from Euan on this forum, it was built from a plan by a guy in Devon(builder name and plan unknown) There's plenty of plans available for riggers, have a look on the Model Boats forum (www.modelboats.co.uk), go to their plans service and check out the Trident 20/40. I built one years ago, dead easy to make and pretty rapid with a decent motor in it.
You are better off asking Bill, Mart or Andy on here though, I know very little about riggers, only what I've learned from these guys recently.

Rich

Davew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: January 31, 2009, 05:14:28 pm »

thanks lads i have a look around
davew
I am not sure about this

das boot

« Reply #165 on: January 31, 2009, 05:20:31 pm »

Hi

Thanks davew

As for riggers being great fun...I'll let you know after tomorrow's maiden voyage!!!   ;)

Rich

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: January 31, 2009, 08:40:19 pm »

Dave if you need plans i can have a look for you im sure i might have some nice free hydro and maybe the odd rigger plan for small electric motors on a  disc somewhere,you just need to print them out .Give me a cpl of days and ill let you know what i can find.
Mart

andyn

« Reply #167 on: January 31, 2009, 11:25:31 pm »

Martin, Re the tunnel hull, I've seen one before that had a Zen inside the tunnel, at about 1/3 chord from the transom.

Actually now I think of it the bigger tunnels are powered by sterndrives with a whacking great V8 inside the boat.
See: http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndrives/hp1200sci.php

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: February 01, 2009, 09:49:54 am »

Yea me too Andy and that link you just gave me has given me an idea,you can buy small scale replicas of v8 motors and i might try and incorporate one into the build so its visible and hide the zen under the canopy it would look killer,i do have that planned for a hydro ,I'm using a v8 hemi motor.I mentioned to some American tunnel guys about the inboard motor and they were less than complimentary about the idea seems they think all tunnels should have outboards  %),but then they would as they race outboard tunnels and don't allow inboards.I like the inboard idea for ease of setup and you could use standard running gear or if you can afford it use a sterndrive which would look pretty awesome,i have seen guys use those with a  dummy outboard fixed on top too so theres ways to make it look like an outboard if needed.Outboards tend to be hard to find for zens and i would think slower too plus the boat tends to be back heavy and hard to balance,i do like that outboard setup i showed which is a new invention,looks simple enough to make at home but then theres the servo power needed to turn them  :o.The more i think about it the more i think stick to inboard lol,leave the outboards for a smaller one in electric or nitro.Heres a cpl of videos of  inboard tunnels you can see in the second video how they use the fake outboard cover .
Mart
inboard tunnel
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_W3j1bblhm8&feature=channel_page

this ones really flying
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vaYPBZMMwy8&feature=channel

someon i know has this replica in his boat
http://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Classics-Dragster-Replica-Engine/dp/B000EFHO6O/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1233482349&sr=8-12

andyn

« Reply #169 on: February 01, 2009, 02:03:40 pm »

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2009, 02:55:15 pm »

Looking better what speed did you manage with it today?,it takes a lot of nerve to keep the throttle down in the turn as i found out with the hydro but believe me thats what you have to do to get these things hauling so go for it mate   :-)) .Look forward to seeing it on a bigger lake Bill.
Mart

andyn

« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2009, 04:21:48 pm »

What you couldn't here in that video is me saying 'come on Bill faster you go better it turns' ok2

Didn't clock the speed today so dont know how fast it was going...

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2009, 04:29:06 pm »

I suspect it was around the 45MPH mark. Still trying to run the engine in. As and when i get it on a bigger lake it should be good for a lot more as i am having to pull it back to get round the corner.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: February 01, 2009, 04:57:19 pm »

Hi Bill how do you mean pull it back to get round a corner ? it should turn at full tilt.As regards running the motor in dont go too steady mate these things dont need much running in,just keep the oil mix right and run a tad rich for a few tanks then give it the hammer ok2.Failing that give the radio to Andy  {-),only joking ill shut up now %).
Mart

andyn

« Reply #174 on: February 01, 2009, 05:12:10 pm »

Hey I'll have you know I've won more model car races than you've had cold sunday dinners for being at the lake too long ;)

I'll happily have a go at Llanberis Bill ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.