Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASD schottle drives problems  (Read 4522 times)

catengineman

ASD schottle drives problems
« on: September 10, 2008, 07:35:27 pm »

Right I have a Tito and she has two of the Graupner ASD schottle drives while I have not had any problems with the gear drives I did have some with servo strength but the biggest problem I have is props! I keep loosing them  :'(
I have been lucky ? that so far I have lost one RH and one LH so the spares that come with the kits have replaced the missing item.
In sorting out this problem I drilled a hole through the prop boss and shaft and fitted a split cotter pin to do away with the small circlip that normally holds the prop to the shaft

Only now I have lost yet another prop only this time the shaft has come out from the final drive gearbox, SO I am now in a state where I have removed the other units lower shaft to gain size etc.
I have E-Mailed G SITEK with the hope that he will be able to make and supply me with two brass prop mods that will stop my ongoing problem.

Has any one with ASD's has similar troubles?

R,

Topic renamed - Martin - Mayhem.

Umi_Ryuzuki

Re: ASD problems
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 03:08:46 am »

I haven't ever heard of a problem with the large drives, or ever had any problems with the smaller 1761 drives.
There should be a pin through the housing, and alongside the bearing to prevent the lower bearing from
falling out.  I have had to remove them,  and it isn't easy. Takes a bit of tapping to get them out, then
a bit more to remove the bearing.

???

That spring clip however, can get spread out with repeated  removal. I pinch mine closed a bit before
reinstalling them. I have also seen them "click" where they are not completely in place.

catengineman

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 08:51:55 am »

I know what you mean about the circlip and my first problem was rust,  I sail in salt waters and although I do was the tug in fresh I had two of the clips corrode. That was not too sad as I had lots aboard the ship I work on. I then lost 1 prop which I think was due to being dragged off through weed (the tug was caught for about 1/2 an hour)
When I lost the next prop in the same lake I then drilled through the prop boss and shaft so I could slide a split cotter pin through.

The shaft I have last still has the prop attached.

In the photos the shaft I have left shows the hole I drilled

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 10:25:58 am »

I have heard of problems with the older units but none so far with the current models.
I think a letter to Graupner would be in order.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

catengineman

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 06:19:15 pm »

I have sent Graupner E-Mails regarding the VS units they make but never got any replys from them and to get spares I am told its like getting blood out of stone but again I made the part in question for the VS unit and so did not need to have any spares from them.

On the lines of the ASD problem I have been down to my local Dry Dock and they (kind chaps) are going to make two new *modified* shafts for me so I can then fit 65 mm brass props, which I hope to get from George Sitek

I will let you know how things go.

R,

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 09:20:42 pm »

poll on this forum has had the exact same probs i have his other prop shaft hear with me to try copy it but i am struggling to replace he may be able to help

catengineman

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 09:34:24 pm »

I am going down the "make a new set"

Though there are going to be some changes!

I will dump the plastic props (original) and go for 4 or 5 blade brass.
The shafts will be high grade steel and the difference will be that the end will have a thread in m 5 to take the brass props.

where the old prop sits on the flats that area will now be thread and where the drive gear sits and there is a flat there it will be replaced with a divot to locate the grub screw in the bronze gear.
The new prop will be locked on via a cone nut (or ordinary nut) depending on availability. the shafts are quite easy in construction and the tolerances are easy to get, I have farmed this job out as my chuck on the little lathe I have is err (newness worn off) So SMALLS DRY DOCK Lowestoft is where the machining is being done (well it is a vessel !) When I get the new shafts I'll post a picture (if I can work out how to use the idiot proof camera I bought spanner :embarrassed: )

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 02:10:15 am »

I have sent Graupner E-Mails regarding the VS units they make but never got any replys from them and to get spares I am told its like getting blood out of stone but again I made the part in question for the VS unit and so did not need to have any spares from them.

On the lines of the ASD problem I have been down to my local Dry Dock and they (kind chaps) are going to make two new *modified* shafts for me so I can then fit 65 mm brass props, which I hope to get from George Sitek

I will let you know how things go.

R,

What are you trying to replace on the Voith Schneider units? :-\

catengineman

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 09:28:47 am »

Hi Umi,
Sorry have confused matters, I am not changing the Voith Schneider's but I did try to get the control rod parts. One of mine is worn and keeps coming off the ball on the center post.
I found a crack in the main case which I repaired with resin  O0 which is OK now, I am so far very pleased with the VS units and slowly getting used to controlling them  :D

R,

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 06:53:34 pm »

Hi Umi,
Sorry have confused matters, I am not changing the Voith Schneider's but I did try to get the control rod parts. One of mine is worn and keeps coming off the ball on the center post.
I found a crack in the main case which I repaired with resin  O0 which is OK now, I am so far very pleased with the VS units and slowly getting used to controlling them  :D

R,

Have a similiar issue at the control arm connection. My control rod broke off at the ABS connector.
I have an idea on how to make a new one, but haven't had time to make any attempts, or experiment in
materials.  Will let you know what comes of it when I get a chance to work on it.

catengineman

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 07:04:06 pm »

I am currently locating the material to make two new control arms for my VS units.

I hope to make them from brass and have a horse shoe clip to retain the ball and socket together
I'll let you know how I get on

R,

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 10:12:48 pm »

I am going down the "make a new set"

Though there are going to be some changes!

I will dump the plastic props (original) and go for 4 or 5 blade brass.
The shafts will be high grade steel and the difference will be that the end will have a thread in m 5 to take the brass props.

where the old prop sits on the flats that area will now be thread and where the drive gear sits and there is a flat there it will be replaced with a divot to locate the grub screw in the bronze gear.
The new prop will be locked on via a cone nut (or ordinary nut) depending on availability. the shafts are quite easy in construction and the tolerances are easy to get, I have farmed this job out as my chuck on the little lathe I have is err (newness worn off) So SMALLS DRY DOCK Lowestoft is where the machining is being done (well it is a vessel !) When I get the new shafts I'll post a picture (if I can work out how to use the idiot proof camera I bought spanner :embarrassed: )
Perhaps you could offer these sets for sale? when you have perfected them O0

catengineman

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 11:20:44 pm »

Have ordered the props from GSitek  5blade 1 well I cant have a toy tug with more grunt than Tito now can I (capt jack) :) :P

I think the shafts will be ready on Saturday (I hope) then Its build up the drives again ready for

GRAND HENHAM STEAM RALLY which I hope to have both tugs in tip top condition for display and my fun.

I'll post when the bits are in my hands

R,

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 11:37:50 pm »

Hi Catengineman, I have had the same problem, not with the props but the shaft. I do a lot of towing with mine and thy got a bit noisy so I greased them up then tried it again and lost the prop and shaft.
Had two new ones made from stainless steel and up to now no problem. On rebuild I put loads of grease in and around the shaft and gears,hope this helps you.
Regards

John
           PS      Photo of shaft/ prop and nut.

catengineman

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 11:52:46 pm »

The very same idea  O0

I am going for 5 blade props though and they will be modern type shape not 'thruster shape' I know that there is very little lost in the thrust from modern shape to that of the thruster shape, I think rounded props look better.

(my choice and I'm stuck with it)  {-)

I may have beet you to one bit though, I have fitted tubes to the ASD units which I can then fill the unit with grease this serves two fold
1, lube's all moving parts
2, squeezes out all and any water ingress
3, makes them quieter

did I say two ...... There are three reasons for the Spanish  Ooops wrong thread :o

below is the picture during the build, you can see the tubes from both main body and the drive bearing plumber block.
They come out under the accom and I use cycle chain lube in a spray can (nozzle fits tube just right)

R,

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 01:27:35 am »

Length of tube just for access later? Never thought of chain lube in a spray - work in regular shafts as well perhaps? Getting water in after two years without lubing the shaft....

catengineman

Re: ASD schottle drives problems
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 08:26:44 am »

Yes mike_victoriabc,

Just finished an Al Kub conversion to fixed shafts and fitted lube tubes to the shafts. A quick squirt and hey presto lube'd and dewatered all in one go  O0

R,

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 11:57:47 am »

The very same idea  O0

I am going for 5 blade props though and they will be modern type shape not 'thruster shape' I know that there is very little lost in the thrust from modern shape to that of the thruster shape, I think rounded props look better.

(my choice and I'm stuck with it)  {-)

I may have beet you to one bit though, I have fitted tubes to the ASD units which I can then fill the unit with grease this serves two fold
1, lube's all moving parts
2, squeezes out all and any water ingress
3, makes them quieter

did I say two ...... There are three reasons for the Spanish  Ooops wrong thread :o

below is the picture during the build, you can see the tubes from both main body and the drive bearing plumber block.
They come out under the accom and I use cycle chain lube in a spray can (nozzle fits tube just right)

R,
Sorry mate got the T shirt O0 
Cheers

John

catengineman

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 09:09:28 pm »

The shafts came back today (this evening) and fitted beautifully  O0

So now its just a waitting game for my new 5 blade props ::)

Mmm posty hurry up please I have the tug booked to display at the Grand Henham Steam Fair this weekend

R,

catengineman

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 10:49:29 pm »

Tis now late Thursday 18th and I am getting a sweat on!

Saturday I hope to have Tito Neri and Venture in a portable pool at the Grand Henham Steam Rally but every day the postman walks by with out putting my nice new 5 blade props through the letter box  :'(

I have fitted two plastic (original) props in case the new ones dont arrive in time but these have the same direction of rotation, no problem as I can just reverse one speed controller but I want my new props

Ive read that everyone has been happy with the service from GSitek and may be its me being paranoid ?  whats the average time for an order to come from them?

R

offshore1987

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 10:33:53 pm »

WoW i wish i had seen this when it started lol

Same problems, i run my tug in salt water... the units are naff imo, nothing fits right, i had to mod the thing outa the box just to get them to work!!, the sharft rust and everytime i use my tito i take the units apart and wash everything and dry it and they still have rusted... i also regrease it all...

I fitted some super strong fast digi servos  :-)) and am runnin the 900bb motors with 12v batts for each motor lol so lots of power  {-) next thing i need todo is umm duno what they are called but the things that fit on the servos that screw to the gear turing thing? I need to fit metal ones lol because the servos rip up the plastic ones  {-)

The only plus i have had with these are they havnt leaked... everything else has sucked with them ( oh and the grub screws kept coming out even with thread lock lol )

All the best
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.