Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing old glass fibre  (Read 2532 times)

John East

Removing old glass fibre
« on: September 12, 2008, 09:00:40 pm »

Hi Chaps,
Just purchased a new project from E bay, its a old swordman, anyway there is loads of old fibre glass holding the old engine mount in, and probably holding the model together as well !. Anyone got any methods of removing it ?.

Cheers John

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
Re: Removing old glass fibre
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 05:00:59 pm »

John- sorry to say:
Elbow-grease.

Depending on how thick the layer is- on a fine layer do it by hand with a wet-sanding paper corn 80 or 100. At thick layers you may probably start with a machine and corn 60 or 80. Use always wet-paper as after a while the mould might become warm and a bit greasy. So the wet paper helps you to cool down the mould plus it saves you from the dust... (which might harm your lungs). I also recommend to wear a mask for that job.

Hope that was out of any help for you.
Happy modeling,
Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

catengineman

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 06:22:14 pm »

To remove the old engine mount GF I have used a "dremmle" on slow speed with a milling bit in the chuck.

do it slow and have a vacuum cleaner running with the hose in the model and you can get a good clean hull

R,

John East

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »

Thanks for the tips and suggestions,   I think I may have solved the problem. The glass fibre & filler was holding the engine mount in, a gentle tap with a reasonble size hammer and chisel seems to have helped !. I have enclosed a photo, the engine mount was made from a piece of 19 mm plywood !...
I thought about cutting the floor out and replacing that part, however after a few gentle taps I decided a new bottom skin would be best, also the ply was heaverly contaminated with old glow fuel.  After removing one of the skins it was also found to be quite damp. I am going to leave it for a few days and see if it dries out, but I think a major rebuild might be on the cards...Or maybe a Viking funeral ?.   Seriously I will rebuild it, it is a quite rare origanal Aerokits Swordsman, Although how much of it will be original when Ive finished !.
Ps The filler was 25mm or about 1 inch in old money thick !!

I will start a new thread on the rebuild. Thanks again all the best John

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 07:53:30 am »

Lot`s of work to do John. I do have an imagination now where you`ll spend your winter... in the workshop  :D

Happy modeling,
Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.