Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the Cutty Sark by delprado  (Read 7763 times)

dragonz59

Building the Cutty Sark by delprado
« on: September 13, 2008, 05:47:59 pm »

Hi i am new to building boats from scratch so i was wondering if anyone can help. I just started to build the Cutty Sark from delprado it is in weekly parts  i have come to where i have to do planking on the hull .Is there a book that someone could recomend for a first timer please i would be most grateful for help. Also it says that i have to use aniline can someome  please tell me where i would get this from or if there is an alternitive to it please . If anyone can i would be most grateful thank you .

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Cutty Sark by delprado
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »

I assume you want a book on planking, if so, doesn't the magazine give details I thought that was part of the purpose of buying a part work. However, I would recommend something by Keith Julier he has been writing about period ship models for ages. One of his books should give you a good grounding in planking.

Aniline sounds like pretty horrible stuff, (just googled it) what do you need it for. At a guess I would think plank bending. This can be done by soaking planks in water. However, I have used Ammonia with some success (you can get it in Boots) but it needs to be treated with care and of course it smells, as does Aniline!

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

dragonz59

Re: Building the Cutty Sark by delprado
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 06:22:06 pm »

Thank you for your reply i will lookup some of the books you said. This is what it says about aniline and what i have to do with it .It says as follows i have to apply a coat of sapele-coloured anilineto the bulk head but dont drench the brushtheni have got to let it dry  could this be like a sort of wood stain and would that be a good alternative or is there something you could recomend please.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 08:57:54 pm »

Thank you for your reply i will lookup some of the books you said. This is what it says about aniline and what i have to do with it .It says as follows i have to apply a coat of sapele-coloured anilineto the bulk head but dont drench the brushtheni have got to let it dry  could this be like a sort of wood stain and would that be a good alternative or is there something you could recomend please.
Anything would be safer than aniline.

One FAQ
How can aniline affect my health?

Aniline can be toxic if ingested, inhaled, or by skin contact. Aniline damages hemoglobin, a protein that normally transports oxygen in the blood. The damaged hemoglobin can not carry oxygen. This condition is known as methemoglobinemia and its severity depends on how much you are exposed to and for how long. Methemoglobinemia is the most prominent symptom of aniline poisoning in humans, resulting in cyanosis (a purplish blue skin color) following acute high exposure to aniline. Dizziness, headaches, irregular heart beat, convulsions, coma, and death may also occur. Direct contact with aniline can also produce skin and eye irritation.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 10:47:55 am »

Hi i am new to building boats from scratch so i was wondering if anyone can help. I just started to build the Cutty Sark from delprado it is in weekly parts  i have come to where i have to do planking on the hull .Is there a book that someone could recomend for a first timer please i would be most grateful for help. Also it says that i have to use aniline can someome  please tell me where i would get this from or if there is an alternitive to it please . If anyone can i would be most grateful thank you .

A lot of these part works have an unofficial Webforum, where people who have bought the boat post questions. I believe there is more than one for the Bismark.

This kit/partwork has probably been pubished in other countries in the past, so try googling the part work and see if any help/user groups come up.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 11:09:15 am »

It says as follows i have to apply a coat of sapele-coloured anilineto the bulk head but dont drench the

It sounds to me like another case of translation gone mad ;) My guess would be that anilineto is either a product name in the origiinal language of the instructions, or an attempt translate a brand name.

Is the item to be so treated going to be visible when the model is finished?

Barrie

dragonz59

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 01:35:35 pm »

You might of mis read it barrie i joined 2 words together aniline and to so sorry if it mislead you .To answer your question yes it will be seen as it seems to me to be a sort of stain process .Some people have told me that aniline is very dangerous so i was looking for a alternative to it if you can help i will be very grateful  :)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 01:44:00 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 01:55:04 pm »

I still think it is probably a mis-translation, however I would have thought that any wood stain or 'coloured' varnish would be OK. Jotika make some stains specially for old naval vessels not sure if they do that colour.

Take a look at www.shipwrightshop.com - its the Jotika online shop.

Barrie

dragonz59

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 02:31:16 pm »

Ok guys thank you for your help i will give it ago.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 04:14:07 pm »

If you look at these two topics by bluebird you will find he explains all about planking along with some very clear photographs. O0

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7947.0

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9758.0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.