Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kitchen rudder  (Read 6656 times)

Ian Robins

• Full Mayhemer
Kitchen rudder
« on: December 29, 2006, 09:02:19 pm »

Hi,
   I am looking for a drawing for a kitchen rudder IE 2semicircle cups on a rudder shaft with two servos controlling the cups. I have a single cylinder steam engine and would like to have it going backwards as well as forward. Also I need different ways to mix the servos.
Thanks
Ian
ndmbc

malcolmbeak

Re: Kitchen rudder
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 10:53:16 pm »

Hi Ian
I have a fairly basic drawing for a Kitchen rudder - there are no dimensions, but you should be able to scale it. there are also several photos from various angles so hopefully you could see how it goes together. Unlike some designs, this does not involve one of the servos swing round with the rudder.
Contact me direct if you would like them.
Malcolm

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 11:29:33 pm »

The only problem with a kitchen rudder is that the boat is always on the move, either forward or backwards, no stop as such.
The way round that problem is to fit a variable pitch propellor, but this really needs to be done at build time as it is difficult to modify a boat which already has the shaft in and they don't look too pretty either, but ah well this is just another way to solve a problem.

malcolmbeak

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 08:50:32 am »

I was using my Kitchen rudder in a small steam boat with the Stuart ST engine. I had no problem with being able to have the boat stationary - Fairly delicate use of the controls was certainly needed, but this should'nt pose a problem. Overall control was superd, even to the extent of being able to pivot the boat around the funnel.
Malcolm

Ian Robins

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 08:58:57 am »

Hi,
Thanks for the replies, I know chris brown light engineering does a kitchen rudder kit ( or he used to),
I know a variable pitch prop would be a better idea but I dont think the small steamboat, it is going into, is worth the work involved ( it basically is a quick build to use a small steamplant ( stuart isis + vertical boiler).
Also the engine will not spin a very large prop so all the shaft ect would have to be kept to a small size and a 10"  chuck lathe will have trouble turning 2/3 mm dia steel.
I am hoping to mix the rudder by an electronic box ( or transmitter mixing) but need the basic unit so I can play around with the whole unit
Thanks
Ian
NDMBC
ps. Hope to have boat ready for Mayhem Weekend, so come and visit one of the best boating venues in th uk
(personal view) :) :)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 09:53:22 am »

There was an article in model boats about ten years ago it showed how to develop the shape and the control of it , It was for a Mini Vap I will see if I can find the info,  Peter

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 05:58:57 pm »

Ok sorry to show my ignorance but what the heck is a kitchen rudder

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 07:46:01 pm »

hi stavros

if everybody knew everything there would be no need for these forums, I hope you can make out the pics in the book that Ive scanned and they show you what a 'Kitchen rudder' is this comes from a very old book which was difficult to scan - Im glad to say Im not as old as the book - although Riggers may think I am  ;D

Aye
John E
BLUEBIRD
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 09:06:11 pm »

Bluebird's picture is a bit blurred. You can find more illustrations using Google - here for instance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_rudder

There was also apparently an article on building one in the May 1983 issue of Model Boats. I seem to vaguely remember it.

malcolmbeak

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 10:41:00 pm »

For what it's worth, here is my design. A fairly basic drawing and a few photos.
The arm sticking out sideways with the ball under it is obviously for the steering servo. The speed/fwd/rev servo couples to the ball at the top and can de solidly mounted in the hull. As the rudder swings, there is only a slight closing or opening of the cups.

Malcolm

Ian Robins

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 11:39:59 am »

hi everyone, :) :) :)
Thanks for the replies, I now have the servo connections to sort out and now to beat metal.
Seriously though one day on Mayhem has saved weeks of trial and error.

I hope to see all of you at Wicksteed park I will be there for both days, as Wicksteed MBC share the water with us at Northampton DMBC.
Also we are holding the MPBA scale finals at wicksteed on the 17th sept. All welcome.
Thanks again
Ian (ro88o)
NDMBC

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 03:19:23 pm »

Ha so the enlightened few ;)

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 10:47:13 am »

This topic was raised in the "old" forum and led to some very interesting answers.
May I suggest that you have a look at this site, it may answer your question.
http://www.interq.or.jp/sun/miki-k/vol_2/cont_2.htm

Regards,

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 02:08:32 pm »

Not that it is any help technically, I have seen these rudders in use as years ago whilst working for Jardine Matheson in Hong Kong. 3 of their launches had kitchener rudders fitted. When maneuvering, the coxwain had to steer with the left hand and furiously spin a big mangle type wheel back and forth at his right side. When the humidity was near 100% it didn't take long to spoil his nice crisp whites !

MikeK 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.