Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Slipway Sentinel  (Read 2688 times)

taxi

Model Slipway Sentinel
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:30:00 pm »

Just started work on hull and wonder if it would make much difference to the handling of the boat if the stabilisers were left in a fixed position rather than connected up to the rudders as shown.   A lot easier to install connection linkages now rather than later.     Also, the prop shafts supplied have a plastic type of bush rather than brass.  Is this just a cheaper version or are they maybe some kind of  bush requiring no lubrication?      :-\   

FullLeatherJacket

Re: Model Slipway Sentinel
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 11:04:35 pm »

Easy!
1. Leave stabs fixed if you wish (my prototype has fixed fins) - no problem as long as you keep the weight low down in the hull;
2. These prop shaft bearings are actually designed to be lubricated by water, not oil.
Enjoy the build.
FLJ ('im wot designed it...........)

taxi

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 11:44:26 am »

Many thanks for info.     I will be keeping build as simple as poss,     the less clutter with linkages the better.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 12:39:22 pm »

Build the superstructure as light at possible to increase stability....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 09:50:48 pm »

I built mine with working stabilisers and find it turns too tightly on anything more than the slightest rudder. I also used as few of the white metal fitting as possible replacing hatches etc with plastic versions. My boat is a lot more stable than another club member's who used all the white metal fittings provided.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.