Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Respect...and then some.  (Read 3619 times)

das boot

Respect...and then some.
« on: September 14, 2008, 10:23:18 am »

I’ve always given the utmost respect to the emergency services helicopter pilots, those guys seem to be able to put a chopper anywhere in all conditions, but what I’ve just been watching goes one step further. I live quite near to a whole line of power cables, and these are often inspected by a helicopter crew, who fly quite close to the cables so that the guy checking them out for whatever reason can see any problems.

I’ve just been watching a pilot in an Alouette flying UNDER the power cables with a chap hanging out of the door looking up…and then to top that, the pilot put the chopper ON IT’S SIDE…ALMOST IN A HOVER, presumably so the inspecting man could get a better view! I’ve never seen anything like that before, it was absolutely amazing to watch…the chopper remained in this position for several minutes before the pilot flipped it back into level flight, pulled the nose up, circled once more around the pylon and then flew off down the cable lines. That was the most awesome flying I’ve ever seen, especially in a heli like the Alouette, they are not really designed for that sort of manoeuvre, but this guy seemed quite happy with the thing sitting on it’s side and almost stationary in the air.

Whoever you are sir, I take my hat off to you…the word ‘respect’ doesn’t even begin to cover what I think of his flying skills.

Rich…shocked and stunned.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Respect...and then some.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 11:04:11 am »

I was once told that the electricity companies have a chopper fly under high tension lines between pylons to measure the level of radiation to earth. This gives and indication of the condition of the cables.

I could of course have been fed BS.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

das boot

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 11:10:20 am »

This guy was flying that close to the power cables he could have felt the radiation...I just hope that the bloke hanging out of the door had plenty of clean trousers with him!

Rich

David_S

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 11:16:09 am »

At one time there was a video on-line showing an electricity worker stepping onto the high-tension lines from a helicopter after connecting a cable between the power lines and the chopper. It had a very laid-back commentary by the linesman himself.

Over here, the power companies keep the trees away from the powerlines by flying a few metres from the lines in a helicopter (Hughes/MD 500) with a series of circular saws trailing under it on a cable. Quite impressive if you happen to in the wrong place at the wrong time!

catengineman

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 05:18:14 pm »

As far as I can remember power companies take a sort of X RAY from heli's, of the power lines and ceramics to determin the condition.

A poor ceramic will show up as black  or bad ones show up with thick black track marks.

R,

andyn

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 05:33:50 pm »

I only have respect for one Heli pilot - Alan Szabo jr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fD8JVEVNfc

das boot

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 07:01:15 pm »

Ye Gods, that is some flying...I remember doing something similar with my Morley Hughes 500. It took me ages to dig it out of the ground... >:(

Rich

David_S

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 07:02:29 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fD8JVEVNfc

The fad for so-called '3D flying' has ruined model flying as a pastime for me. I've been busy selling planes and helis of late.

das boot

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 07:48:06 pm »

I never really learnt much past the initial stages of level flight and the hover when I flew helis. The guy who taught me to fly could do all sorts of unatural things with a helicopter, he could do the so-called 'cutting the grass manouvre' with his back to the heli. He now has a full size heli licence and owns his own gyrocopter thingy.

I gave up on helis years back and took on a far safer side o the modelling hobby...subs.

Rich

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 08:43:58 pm »

Alan Szabo Jr has been my favourite RC Heli coper pilot for years now.... but he doesn't win many competitions, more of a showman I guess!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andyn

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 07:32:04 pm »

I love 3D flying, the skill that goes into it is unbeliveable, I am a begginer one myself, and fly my Shockie out in the park as often as I can.

Can hover, torque roll, harrier, knife edge, snap roll, flatspin, waterfall etc

Don't care what anyone says it's the most fun you can possibly have with an R/C plane

Considering buying a hollow shaft motor with Variable Pitch Prop System so i can do 4D too!!!

http://www.ikarus-modellbau.de/onlineshop/deutsch/oxid.php/sid/1ea1f236cb69ecd934f2cf2e1cf64ba6/cl/alist/cnid/61a44239f5df15822.32040145

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pXO14LRlZI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ei-lU-6JI

Another one I like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs1ErkdKQxM

das boot

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 08:23:06 pm »

Just like to mention one thing here guys...whilst I do not deny the skills of these model heli pilots, the operative word there is 'model'.

Smack one of those into the ground and all you have is a hole in the earth and a bigger hole in your wallet. Smack a full size chopper into the ground and you are left with much, much more than a pain the wallet.

Rich

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 07:33:59 pm »

Dear Mum

You'll never guess what me and the boys did today....
Don't Assume Check
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.