Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: health and safety gone mad?  (Read 4547 times)

das boot

health and safety gone mad?
« on: September 14, 2008, 09:01:10 am »

Yesterday I took a piece out of my upper arm, caught it on a piece of wire sticking out of a cage bodied van. Because of these tablets I'm on to make the old ticker fire up better, I bled like a cat with it's throat cut....went into the office and asked one of the lads for a plaster, which he gave me.

"can you stick it on for please, my hands are filthy" I asked.....'sorry, no' came the reply....'I'm not trained in putting plasters on'. What training do you need to stick an elastoplast on? Apparently it's down to the fact that if my arm becomes infected and falls off, I'm entitled to sue whoever stuck the plaster on.... :o

Health and safety gone mad.....

Rich

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
Re: health and safety gone mad?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 09:24:35 am »

May be if health and safety had been applied better to the van you wouldn't have been bleeding to start with.

It's not health and safety thats stops people putting plasters on etc. it's the fear of litigation that's come from the US.

das boot

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 09:43:17 am »

I work for a local authority FF...they spout how much they take health and safety seriously, but to get anything like a repair done on a vehicle takes ages. The vehicle defect sheet has to be filled in, handed in to the transport manager who processes it and passes it to the workshop...they then allocate the job in order of priority and eventually it may get looked at. Then the parts (if needed) have to be ordered, then the vehicle has to be booked in for the job...then there's tea to be drunk  :o

It gets worse mate...at one time we could go into the workshops, get a pair of pliers and a hammer and do the job yourself in five minutes. No any longer...I'm not trained to use a hammer.  >>:-(

Rich

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 10:53:08 am »

The company is supposed to have a first aider to accompany its first aid box.  Yet more litigation designed to demolish good sense.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
health and safety gone mad?
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 02:03:15 pm »

The simpler solution that is used over here is
 if its not fixed it don't get driven till it is fixed.
Watch how quick they can be fixed then...............

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

das boot

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 02:49:30 pm »

The simpler solution that is used over here is
 if its not fixed it don't get driven till it is fixed.
Watch how quick they can be fixed then...............

Roy

That doesn't work with our lot...if it's not fixed, then leave it somewhere in the yard until it is. Maybe this week...more than likely next week.

And we haven't a first aider anymore, the last one retired some nine months back. One day they may replace him...then again, maybe not. Roll on next year when I retire!! (if I make it through to then without bleeding to death....)

Rich

nhp651

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 03:20:40 pm »

believe it or not, U-33,
 putting a sticking plaster on someone elses arm other than your own is classed, by health and safety exec, "as a minor operation" and as such one needs "medical training" according to those t*****s, to apply, andtherefore recommend the calling of an ambulance with paramedic in attendance, if the worker at your place of business who is trained for medical emergencies in the workplace is himself either incapacitated or off for the day.
It costs usually about £500 to send someone off for such medical training and the relevent certificate,( which only lasts about 4 years before needing updating) and god knows what a call out for ambulance and pm, just to justify some plonker in HSE, would cost.
The world really has gone mad??? >>:-(

catengineman

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 06:38:06 pm »

True  >>:-(

but there is other reasons elf n safety are saying that you have to be trained ! before "you" put the sticky plaster on you have to fill out the questions (yes there are questions) is the patient allergic to the adhesive, is the patient on medication, is the patients a carrier of ?? big long list of various ailments and whatnot's. blah blah

So advice is get casualty to stem flow of blood, if there is any, call the medical services make notes on actions taken inc times and persons contacted/informed

WHY ? as said litigation, there are some out in cuckoo land that would try to sue you for not doing what you could have done?

hey: bin there and don't want the tee shirt any more.
Oh and I am unfortunately a trained safety officer :embarrassed:

das boot

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 06:56:29 pm »

Man, I didn't really need a fully trained health official, all I wanted was someone to stick a plaster on my arm 'cos my hands were covered in sh...nasty stuff. I couldn't really believe what the man in the office said when he said he could'nt do it for me, I thought he was having a giraffe whilst I dripped blood all down my t-shirt. All was well in the end tho', one of the office girls took me in the john and cleaned my hands for me so I could apply my own plaster. Which promptly fell off....a couple of inches of insulating tape from the workshops fixed it on.

It just struck me as funny at the time that I needed a fully trained first aider to apply an elastoplast, whereas a fitter with greasy mitts could stick a piece of sticky tape on me without a second  thought.

It's a strange world we live in, that's for sure...

Rich

catengineman

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 07:02:37 pm »

I know its a strange, sad world when It come to what you have gone through :'(

You can stick 'whatever' you want on 'your' lesion  well your hardly going to sue yourself ?     or are you?

I do hope you have filled in the accident record book?  {-)

R,

ps, be safe be happy stay healthy  O0

das boot

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 07:43:22 pm »

I do hope you have filled in the accident record book?  {-)

R,

Ah...slight problem there. Nobody knows where the accident book is at the moment. Both supervisors were out..'in a meeting' was the official wording. In the cafe having breakfast is more like it...

My arm still works, I can still lift a cuppa with it, so all is good. I'm off next week, so with a bit of luck and a following wind, someone MAY have located the accident book when I go back.

It's doubtful tho'....

Rich

catengineman

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 08:03:31 pm »

Second reason for calling E,S that is they LOG every thing, so If you get septicaemia or even worse "infuntunka" you have a running record for the claims department of SSP.

Then if  ................. I hope not but you never know these days with the influx of no win no fee sharks and shysters.

Glad to hear your OK

R,            And there was me thinking I didn't need to know this stuff anymore

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 08:56:11 pm »

Well, I must be alone in being in being pizzed off by people always blaming H&S for every thing.
In the case above it seems it's some manager's inability to keep his vehicles safe that is the problem.
Perhaps you should get your Safety Rep involved, or if there aren't any become one and sort 'em out yourself.

puffer boy dom som

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 09:01:56 pm »

look at it this way,health & safety gets you out of doing anything you don't want to do at work,quote health & safety like a magic word & presto everyone panics...!!:angel:

catengineman

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 09:18:06 pm »

Its a bit like calling a vacume cleaner a 'hoover' we all do it at some stage.

There is one thing that I said to do with safety, and that is "We are ALL our own safety officers" in that I say if there is some thing which could be said to be dangerous and you have noticed it then report it / fix it / put it into a condition where the danger is removed or lessened.

When Fred trips up on that loose rope its no pointg in saying "I knew that would happen sooner or later" I am sorry but it has come to a point where jobs worth rule and blame culture runs second.

I have heard it many times   " its not my job to pick up that, clean this, get a sign out for there"

I must get a life ;D

warspite

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 11:23:40 pm »

A trained first aider, stated that, if he gives someone a sharp slap on the back to release a lodged piece of food etc, and it pops out and he does not check that it has come out, and he applies another sharp slap to try to dislodge the object, even though he doesnt know it has come out, he can get sued for assault - funny old world.

catengineman

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 11:41:24 pm »

Oh yes  >>:-(

Not me guv I nows nuffink

warspite

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 11:45:06 pm »

If an old man colapses onto the ground and he does not attempt to revive him, he can also get into trouble - a world gone mad, damd if you do, damd if you dont - go figure :(

catengineman

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 11:59:20 pm »

Same all over and not just on health / safety but in all walks of life

Frail elderly lady in supermarket cafe looks to be asleep . Lots of people stare, point and snicker ?
Do you gently wake her with words ? you notice hearing aids
Do you gently wake her with a rap on the table, could startle her into heart failure
Do you gently touch, shake her? no responce ?
Do you try harder ? and to what point do you go ? elderly peoples skin marks very easy and bruises appear, you get accused of assault and attempted mugging.
Elderly lady is confused ! you are arrested ! held then released without charge.
You are in the wrong ! whichever way it goes.....

Do YOU try to assist in a similar instance in the future ?

LIKE HELL YOU DO unless your me and the spanner ! gluttons for punishment.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 08:25:58 am »

A trained first aider, stated that, if he gives someone a sharp slap on the back to release a lodged piece of food etc, and it pops out and he does not check that it has come out, and he applies another sharp slap to try to dislodge the object, even though he doesnt know it has come out, he can get sued for assault - funny old world.
But a properly trained first aider would check
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.