Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: email from TaxRefund@hmrc.gov.uk  (Read 5239 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
email from TaxRefund@hmrc.gov.uk
« on: September 14, 2008, 10:36:09 am »

I have just recieved an unexpected email from TaxRefund@hmrc.gov.uk telling me I have a tax refund and redirecting me to another page to fill in a claim form.

Is this phishing or is it legit. I have paid no UK tax for 5 years and am not expecting a refund. Also it is a funny time of year ofr tax refunds, isn't it?

Anybody any experience like this?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Reade Models

Re: email from TaxRefund@hmrc.gov.uk
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 10:42:34 am »

Phishing...

If I've ever had tax rebates in the past, they arrive unexpectedly with a cheque attached to the bottom of the rebate notice - they're usually for around £1.50.  Make you feel good though!

Suggest you check with HMRC before completing any forms?  Come to think of it, you should NEVER complete any cold canvassed forms online.

Malc

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:58:30 am »

Doing a google for taxrefund@hmrc.gov.uk found this on the first shot at:

HMRC warns of business email scam

http://www.taxassist.co.uk/News/Tax/HMRC-warns-of-business-email-scam-10483.html

Date: 9th September 2008

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has revealed that small business owners and sole traders are being targeted by a new email scam.

The government body warned that it had recently noted a significant increase in the number of phishing emails being sent by fraudsters to businesses claiming to be from HMRC.

In the emails, which appear to be from HMRC, a business is informed that it is owed a tax rebate and asked to provide information. However, this data is later used for fraudulent purposes.

A statement from the government body explained: "HMRC would not inform customers of a tax rebate via email, or invite them to complete an online form to receive a rebate of tax.

"Do not visit the website contained within the email or disclose any personal or payment information."

As a precaution, HMRC said businesses should ignore emails from email addresses including taxRefund@hmrc.gov.uk, service@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk, claims@hmrc.direct.gov.uk, notice@hmrc.gov.uk, hmrc@hmrc.gov.uk, admin@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk, info@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk and no-reply@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk.

Everthing else on the search page had "faud" in the title.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 07:04:12 am »

Thanks Malcolm.

I took the precaution of not even following the link as there are so many 'infected' websites these days.

No I won't respond either. >:(
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 09:23:25 am »

The other week I had a letter from my electricity supplier (Eon) stating that my quarterly bill was over £6000, I of course protested.
It seems that in fact they owe me £1200. I just love rebates.

Colin
Colin

RipSlider

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 10:16:16 am »

This is fairly interesting though.

The e-mail address cited is TaxRefunds@HMRC.gov.uk.

That means that in order for a scammer to acutally pick up the returned e-mails, they most be able to access this domain - they must be able to get to xxxxxxxx.hmrc.gov.uk.

However, this domain is fully owned by the HMRC - it's not a shared area.

So whats going on here:

Either:

1) it's a spoof - like those "send this mail to ten people in order to make fairies happy" type e-mails - in which cae, what's the point in it in the first place?

or

2) Some one has ( or had ) access to the HMRC.gov.uk domain who shouldn't have, in wich case the tax man significantly needs to increase the quality of their security measures.

I have to say that 2) is much less likely, but if someone had enough access to set up their own e-mail addresses on a government server, it doesn't make a lot of sense for them just to stop at that.

Steve

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:05:53 pm »

The "official" website url is hmrc.gov.uk - all in lower case. If you type in www.HRMC.gov.uk it defaults to hmrc.gov.uk. However, this is unlikely to be the case with an email address - although I don't intend to try it. I doubt the scammer has access to the government site.

Rick

Wiggy

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 01:30:28 pm »

Hi all,

Just because an e.mail link 'points' to an address doesn't mean that it is where it sends the e.mail to or even a web site link. It depends what is actually written into the 'source' of the page you are on that matters. If you are looking at a web page, click on to 'View' at the top and then look down the menu and click 'Source' and this brings up the actual way the page is written and to where links are directed.

Regards,

Paul.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 22 queries.