Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motorcycle Madness  (Read 7755 times)

das boot

Re: Motorcycle Madness
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 10:52:29 am »

BAN, BAN, BAN. Thats all I seem to hear these days, Ban bikes because of bad rider's Ban hand guns because of one total nutter. Ban knives because people get stabbed.

I carry a lock knife on my belt whilst at work PSO spots it and tries to give me grief. I ignore him and carry on into the house I am working in. 10 mins later PLOD arrives to back up PSO, threatened with arrest for having a bladed weapon in public. I take both to the back off my van and remove two 24" handsaws, two claw hammers, one club hammer and ask the question when is a knife not a knife? WHEN ITS A TOOL. Both walk away muttering as if demented.

What ever happened to being responsible for ones own actions. I would personally ban nothing just severely punish people who misuse everyday articles and perpetrate crime.

Rant over. Birthday today wife has bought me a selection of good bottled ales so will pop off and open one or maybe two.

Colin H.
A friend is a 747 pilot and afew years back had his toenail scissors removed at security. He said he wasnt asking for special priviledges, but he does have a large axe in the cockpit with him so it seems a bit pointless removing his scissors.

In the event of a fire or smoke coming through the bulkheads they use the axe to find out WTF is going on.

Ye Gods...if I saw smoke or fire in the cockpit I'd be first out the door. I wouldn't have an axe under the seat, I'd have a parachute....

Gone in sixty seconds...that'd be me. O0

Rich

hiapita

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 01:08:36 pm »

hi guys, as some people know i go on the back of my dads moterbike and its great... i have been around bikes all my life and i have been going on a moterbike since i was 18months old i was sat on the tank and my dad was riding up and down the coldasack behind our house and i was taken to nursery on the back of the moterbike and i have been on the back ever since i think i might get a moterbike when i turn 17 and pass my test...
hannah :) :)

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 02:12:26 pm »

Go for it Hannah    O0
Steamed up all the time

bogstandard

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 05:22:19 pm »

I am both a car driver and a born again biker. I have just got back from a six mile trip thru town to B&Q and back, not in the car, but on a rather large bike (in fact a massive, unmissable bike). On my little jaunt there must have been at least a half a dozen people in cars who came out of side roads, pulling out in front of me, and forcing me to drop anchor very quickly. I have lost count of the number of car drivers that don't indicate at all, going left or right, it seems they expect everyone to be clairvoyant with regards to their actions.
I think you will find that bike riders and ex bike riders are some of the best drivers on the road, mainly because they have to have the reactions of a s**thouse rat to avoid the idiots driving cars, and we keep an eye on the road much further ahead than normal car drivers (it seems their length of vision is the end of their bonnet) because if we didn't, the idiots would certainly have us off our transport.
I am not a speed freak, but can be if needed, and I only use the throttle excessively to get away from idiot car drivers. I just leave them behind in their own little cocoon of loud music and 'I'm the greatest driver in the world', a typical brain in neutral and finger up their a**e model.

I am not making excuses for bad bikers letting of steam and ripping up other motorists, but car drivers should also look at how they drive and treat us two wheeled riders. So next time one comes past you at a fair rate of knots, don't think 'what a speed freak', instead think, 'am I doing something wrong to make him want to get away from my presence so fast'.

It works both ways, treat one with respect, the opposite will follow suit. I will hold up traffic to let motorists out of side roads, do you? Or are you one of the 'I'm on this bit of road, and it's mine, and no one gets in front of me'? If you are, whats the bet you have a lot of bikes speeding past you, trying to get as much distance between you and themselves.

John

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 05:56:41 pm »

As I said in my first post those biker idiots on the road that weekend had not a care for themselves or any other road user, when I was signalling to pull back over to the nearside lane and they undertook me I had a small trailer on at the time so they had double the signals to see, that of the car which has high level lights and that of the trailer which had a lighting board on it that had only been purchased new that very morning so was working perfectly.
I would have had no sympathy with any of them had they come a cropper.
Alan

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2008, 10:38:13 am »

My biking happened a long time ago, when there was nothing like the same traffic, but I was always aware that other road users were basically uncaring about either themselves or anybody else, however many wheels were involved.  This was about the time that a publicity hound call Killroy-Silk tried to ban motor bikes altogether. 
If a biker wants to survive, he or she has to be aware that they are vulnerable, standard road furniture is not as user friendly as that around a race track, and that there are other road users about, and drive accordingly.  Most do, but there are some who think that they can accelerate out of trouble, that they can maneuver better and stop in a more nimble manner, so that makes it OK to ignore petty restrictions like speed limits.  Since for the most part they only have normal human reaction times, they are proactive Darwin Award candidates. Unfortunately, the people they injure were probably expecting approaching vehicles to approach in a law abiding manner.   Sadly, there are also plenty of car drivers (and truck, and bus, and taxi) who assume that the rest of the world is looking out for their best interests, and will get out of the way.
Bogstandard mentions his epic trip to B&Q - the same would probably happen if he was driving a car, it has for me doing similar trips in my car, which is a sit up and beg Renault and red, really quite visible.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2008, 02:07:01 pm »

Crotch rocket riders = Organ Donors  O0

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2008, 04:41:55 pm »

there seem to be a lot of very angry young men on here today....................

grow up,

dont blame somone else  for your own prejudices

live and let live.
in my own little world

Tug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2008, 07:49:00 pm »

If there is room to pass on the left hand side (your nearside, not mine) then you are hogging the white line and this leads to agressive driving by others, not only Bikers, [5 clear feet is not the left hand side],

The reason biking is regaining in popularity is the sense of freedom especially from traffic queues in peak hours, of course this annoys vehicle drivers and so many pull over to the right to prevent such freedoms of others, a regular occurance on motorways.

A little more consideration for others would mean shorter queues for the car drivers [cause there would't be bikes in the queue,]

But majority of drivers still don't accept this, Reginald Molehusband fraternity. 

Tug

Volvo Driver, HGV, PSV, Road Roller, Dozer, and a Biker since serving an aprenticeship with the last of the true British motorcycle manufacturers days, and still alive to show that speed alone don't kill, But the buzz you get when pulling away from smar* ar** jonny in his supped up BM is just a GOOD feelin!

if you do it right!
(dropped it whilst stationary twice, Run into three times, two were female drivers, never hit anything bigger than a rabbit, had a few near misses though, there again had a bump or two in the Bus¿

And the Volvo tops 140 MPH,  (someone told me officer)
Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three
 weeks before you need it.

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2008, 08:20:17 pm »

It would seem that a lot of the arguments on this forum are caused because people do not read all of the previous post, or if they do they do not read them fully and correctly. I was signalling and pulling back to the nearside having overtaken another car, this does not mean I am hogging the white line and leaving room on the left hand side (nearside) but I am driving in a sensable manner made dangerous only by the IDIOTS on the bikes.
Alan

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »

OK chaps, putting the moderators cap on for a minute, can we please try to keep the discussion open and friendly and perhaps we can all gain a bit of insight into the others point of view?

I think going back to the original post the motorcyclists in question werre undoubtedly idiots who will unfortunately one day end not only thier own lives but possibly some one elses as well.  I have unfortunately lived all my live with predudices against motorcyclists yet I hold a driving licence of a standard higher than most car drivers.  I've got broad shoulders but I do object to being tarred with the same brush ::)

All I ask is that you do not consider all motorcyclists to be of the same attitude, for myself, I hold back so as not to intimidate, then accelerate briskly past a vehicle I am overtaking when I see the appropriate opportunity that does not require me to break the speed limit to complete.  A quick life saver before pulling in well in front, without using brakes, once again to avoid upsetting the driver of the vehicle being overtaken.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Eric65

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2008, 11:00:05 pm »

I agree, I have always found that if I see a biker coming up behind and I indicate to the left on the straight, he will ALWAYS wave thanks as he zipps past...gratefull that I've seen him and heped him pass safely.

It doesn't hurt me to do this and I wave back. But also, I've one one or two occasions been scared out of my wits as a biker comes at me round a tight bend too fast with his biike on his side of the road and his head on mine!

Just like car drivers, there are good bike riders (most of them) and there are total nutters!(minority)

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2008, 08:58:09 am »

I hold back so as not to intimidate, then accelerate briskly past a vehicle I am overtaking when I see the appropriate opportunity that does not require me to break the speed limit to complete.  A quick life saver before pulling in well in front, without using brakes, once again to avoid upsetting the driver of the vehicle being overtaken.
if I see a biker coming up behind and I indicate to the left on the straight, he will wave thanks as he zipps past...gratefull that I've seen him and heped him pass safely.

It doesn't hurt me to do this and I wave back.
I agree with these comments, but the motorcyclists I was talking about on this occasion had been 200 - 300 yards behind me when I started the manouvere and undertaking me before I had time to complete it, had they been doing the national speed limit of 70mph it would not have caused a problem as I was doing 60mph myself, the problem arose because of the exsesive speeds of 100mph at least that these riders had been doing.
Alan

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2008, 09:31:51 am »

Alan, I don't think anyone can defend the actions of the idiots you encounterd on that day, it's very scary stuff when it happens and I have even had these actions perpetrated upon me even when I have been riding my own motorcycle, let alone my car. It's just a shame the police weren't there to see it but unfortunately 99 times out of a 100 they never will be.
Every summer we notice a 'new' biker racing through our 30mph village, they obviously live locally and have bought a new bike and spend their time tearing through here at breakneck speed around all the tight blind bends. They are usually young blokes donned in all the racing leathers designed to match the bike colour scheme and  see the whole road as a challenge with complete disregard to their own safety and that of pedestriains and other road users.
Each year it's the same and each year, my neighbour and I see them roar past and we say "there goes another idiot who won't see the summer out" and sometimes we're right. The last maniac to die here was truly a nutcase and ended up running smack bang headlong into the iron counterweights of a tractor negotiating the tight bend at the top of the hill. It could so easily have been a family car full of people instead of a tractor. These are the very bikers who should have their bikes crushed and sent off on a week long training course (at their own expense) before they can kill themselves or anyone else.
The first key to survival on the roads is ride/drive defensively chaps and just like fighter pilots...live in your mirror!
I might add that this should apply to the numerous car drivers who behave in exactly the same way and indeed they are more numerous than the bikers and have an even greater potential for destruction.

Tug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2008, 09:58:57 am »

Ooh Alan;
I did not alledge that you were driving on the white line,
But!
The speed limit when towing a trailer not on the motorway is 50 not 60

had they been doing the national speed limit of 70mph it would not have caused a problem as I was doing 60mph myself, the problem arose

Reade Models

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2008, 10:19:42 am »

The speed limit when towing a trailer not on the motorway is 50 not 60

Not true...

60 MPH is permissible when driving towing a trailer on a dual carriageway unless a lower speed limit is in force. (and the gross weight of vehicle and trailer is less than 7.5 tonnes).

Regards, Malc

(A caravan owner and Member of the IAM in two countries)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2008, 10:40:05 am »

Anybody approaching another vehicle from behind has control of their own destiny.  The would-be overtaker has a vastly better view of the prospective overtakee than the overtakee has of him, and the overtakee should be spending most of his timme looking through the window at the front. 
To attempt to pass on the nearside, unless traffic filtering is happening, especially a vehicle signalling the intention to move left, puts you in contravention of the laws of nature.  Mother nature is a very stern judge, believes in non-custodial maiming or death instead of fines or warnings, and does not allow appeals, first offence notwithstanding. 

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2008, 12:03:09 pm »

Been sitting back and following this thread with interest. I'm a biker here in Canada. I ride , what is commomly called here, a "bagger" or cruiser"....some say an old fart's bike. Our licencing requires a seperate licence for motorcycles with the appropriate testing . It is also strongly recommend that a motorcycle safety and training cource be taken at one of the numerous, offered at local colleges. Successful completeion of the beginner's and advanced course results in signifcantly reduced insurance rates.
  My question is, does Britain, or Europe for that matter, have the same or similar requirement?
  We do have a few nutteres on crotch rockets, but the irresponsible driving style is very limited. Far more are sane riders. The "cruisers" are more usually older folk who want to live another day and aren't trying to prove anything. Consequently they tend to be better riders and more aware of whats around them than most car drivers.

John

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2008, 12:50:22 pm »

We do indeed have separate testing for any two wheelers that are more than a moped, but the big problem is that a great many people have the idea that having passed the test, what they have learnt has no relevance, and behave accordingly.  Two wheels or more.  Not the majority, but enough to start generalisations.

John C

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2008, 01:08:56 pm »

I must be one sad so and so?
Not only do I build model boats, but have a campervan, car, and motorcycle.
I just think that as a matter of fact you do get the "I know it all, get out of my way" people in any sector of interest (including model boats) shame really, society as we know it I think!!

John C

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2008, 01:48:01 pm »

We do indeed have separate testing for any two wheelers that are more than a moped, but the big problem is that a great many people have the idea that having passed the test, what they have learnt has no relevance, and behave accordingly.  Two wheels or more.  Not the majority, but enough to start generalisations.

I understand what you say. Its too bad we can't legislate out stupidity, only the results of it.

John

Tug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2008, 02:16:30 pm »

Well Malcolm,

I stand corrected  :embarrassed:

When towing a trailer you are restricted to 60mph on motorways and dual carriageways and 50mph on other roads provided, of course, that lower limits are not in operation.

Vehicle / trailer combinations over 7500kg combined MAM are further restricted to 50mph on dual carriageways.

catengineman

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2008, 04:03:40 pm »

John C, your not sad mate but one of many O0

I drive a car (yes a 4X4) I tow various trailor and on occasion I get to tow a caravan I also ride motorcycles (when my bro lets me) (Spanner wont) so the motor cycle is a Goldwing I love it.

R,
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.