Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Painting, Finishing and Care.

Very upset

(1/3) > >>

AlanP:
There I was congratulating myself on a nice paint job on the superstructure, just a few holes to drill for vents, put masking tape on, marked holes, drilled holes, took masking tape off along with all the paint  :'(   Now this paint has been dry for about three weeks and I am sure that I wet and dried the plastic. So where have I gone wrong, perhaps I should have used a more coarse w&d as the paint does not seem to have keyed to the plastic.
I am now going back out to the workshop as I don't feel much like talking to her indoors, if there is a cat on the way I will kick it.

Please don't laugh as I am quite upset   

Alan 

Sub driver:
Hi Alan,

Sorry to hear about you misfortune on the painting front , a few tips for you when you can face a repaint,

1) Please dont use masking tape its too harsh on the adhesive, use a good modelling tape ie Tamiya. Its designed for model use and is Low Tack. use a degreeser too before painting

2) You unfortunately have fallen into the trap of thinking that if you leave the tape on for a while until the paint hardens it will be better then remove it , you need to remove the tape after spraying / painting, just after the paint has gone off to the touch, this will stop it ripping the new paint.

You are certainly not on your own here buddy, its quite a common mistake.

keep the faith  O0

Regards SUb.

Stavros:
Hi Alan sounds as if you are right on what you have said,You should have used 180 grit wet dry, then primer,dust coat of balck as guide coat,600,or 800 wet dry,then top coat.
As regarding using masking tape to mark holes etc after painting NOTHING at all wrong in that,unfortuantly where you went wrong is in the prep stage,any probs pm me

Stavros

AlanP:
Well the paint didn't take a lot of getting off, just used masking tape, I have removed all paint using 400 grit wet dry but will go over it again with 180 as soon as I can get some.
No cats on the way to the workshop, shame, may have to have a drop of medicine now to get over my trauma.

Thanks for the replies

Alan

boatmadman:
Commiserations Alan - careful not to o/d on the medicine or you wont be able to sand in a straight line tomorrow.

Ian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version