Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: PSSHIPS  (Read 18893 times)

warspite

Re: PSSHIPS
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2006, 11:30:11 pm »

So what??
 Is it accurate??
 H'mm, I think not?
 Paul...

Had to reply to this

Previous posts etc have mentioned in the past of the hobby, whereby the general concensus is that, we collectively produce model boats, some to scale, some as highly detailed as Paul's or jimmy's (credit where credits due) and some look like the boat we want and have no detail and are very very basic. My point being that 18+ months ago the only available data for a 45, was in the trade mags where 'artists' impressions were shown, to make a vessel based upon these sketches is a test to the modeller doing his or her own thing, mocking someone because it is not accurate is not on, at least they had a model of the 45, had took the time and interest to make it, so what, so come on credit where credit is due.

But what do i know, i wont mock someone because it is not accurate or to scale

warspite

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2006, 11:33:50 pm »

They are looking at making UAV's with guns so a snotty spotty nosed undergrade with an addiction to playstation fly it in combat and if he gets it shot down then he takes another out of the holding pattern in the safe air space, flying virtual, Thats going to be progress for you, wont stop friendly fire though.

warspite

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2006, 11:59:56 pm »

I couldn't get on a horse (i'm too short, bad back, old, you name it). text can be interpreted different ways by different people, look at the reply you gave and the HMM i think not could be interpreted different to the way you intended it, i.e. i interpreted it as sarcasim, but thats me, i dont know you personnally so i should not judge your input without reasonable cause.

So if you think i have offended you please accept my apologies.

Yes i agree we are all in this for the fun.

warspite

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2006, 12:06:51 am »

noticed - i mean -  noted ;D

ambernblu

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2006, 11:04:09 am »

... thinking of having a go at one of these new class 45's myself - I probably already have a reasonable hull, so a couple of cardboard boxes, empty domestos bottle and a ping pong ball and i won't be far wrong then!  :D

Should look as good the real thing about 40 yards out on the pond (well except for the not to same scale bushes and trees on the far bank of course...!!)  ;D

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2006, 11:59:19 am »

So u gonna produce a Type 45 Paul.
1/72 scale would make a good model, plus there arent many fittings for 1/72.
A gap in the market?
Yes I know Sirmar produce a limited range, so could be expanded, but not teaching you to suck eggs.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Craig Kane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Once a model boater, always a model boater!
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2006, 02:06:57 pm »

Looking forward to this one if it ever comes out.
Who knows.....at this rate, we'll have more model Type 45's built before the first real one enters service!!

Daryl

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2006, 10:17:15 pm »

According to one of the people we mett in the Future Navy tent at Plymouth Navy Days last weekend, they are building 6 with an option of two more which is very likley to go ahead. There is a clausein the contract that gives the government an option to build another 4 on top of that to bring the class upto 12. This at this moment seems unlikley and 6 is a more realistic possibility.

In the design but not yet installed are options for Harpoon missiles and anti-submarine torpedos. The guy we spoke to seemed tobe of the opionion that these are likley to be fitted at a later date to one or more of the later ships underconstuction. All in all quite a powerful ship.

Daryl

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2006, 10:42:52 pm »

The type 45s are intended to be very capable warships of almost light cruiser size. The problem with the Navy of the future is that, despite the quality of the ships, there simply won't be enough of them. You may have the best warship in the world but it can only be in one place at a time which seriously limits future operational options.

Daryl

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2006, 09:19:10 am »

I agree, we need more ships not less. I have read in the Navy News that one idea being banded around is to change ships crews whilst on deployment so that they don't have to sail back to the UK and remain on station longer. Needless to say this is not going down too well with the rank and file.

Daryl

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2006, 05:10:43 pm »

Financially, we can't afford more navy ships. Unless we all want to pay more taxes!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2006, 05:59:02 pm »

Or the taxes we do pay are spent differently. I read at the weekend that the Government employs 3,200 press officers. This country is supposed to be richer than it's ever been but compare the size of the navy now with what we had in the early 1900s, the 1930s and even the 1950s.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2006, 11:59:08 pm »

The last 2 are being called HMS Doubtful and HMS Dubious,
Seems daft to cut down on the newest, future capable ships, (they even have empty compartments for future equipment).
If the new Carriers are ever built where will we get their Battle Group from?

Lucky bags!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2006, 05:32:17 am »

Hey Bob,

What are they Dubious and Doubtful whether they will make any more..

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2006, 11:33:00 pm »

In reply to Daryl, my first foriegn commission was HMS Newcastle. We were the first cruiser to recommission on station. by flying out to Singapore in old prop driven aircraft, and this was in November 1955, so it ain't nothin' new!

Daryl

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2006, 09:12:31 am »

And probibley will we the same shambles. Lets hope common sense prevails and this idea is dropped and more ships are built.

Daryl

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2006, 03:31:21 pm »

Financially, we can't afford more navy ships. Unless we all want to pay more taxes!

...or stop paying child benefit for foreign children who don't live in this country, have never lived in this country and may never live in this country.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2006, 06:43:38 pm »

They wont all be built, why. there was originally 12 to be ordered and now 4 possibly 6.
And the new carriers?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2006, 07:15:07 pm »

Probably like the new French one, Charles De Gaulle. When it was completed they found the flight deck wasn't long enough to fly off the planes intended to operate from it. It also had other problems - see here: http://www.strategypage.com/dls/articles/2003127.asp

I see that there is to be a further review of UK naval dockyard facilities - with less ships in the fleet they won't need so much supporting infrastructure which will in turn no doubt be used to argue against future expansion plans. These politicians frighten me. They simply have no idea whatsoever when it comes to defence requirements - just look at the latest Afganistan fiasco.

Barthez

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2006, 08:40:13 pm »

If you cast your mind back to the early 80's the government asked John Knott to  conduct a review of the fleet and recomended very drastic cuts. The invicible was to sold to the Aussies. the falkland war saw his radical cuts put aside.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2006, 09:00:08 pm »

I remember it very well. John Knott was an incompetent!

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2006, 09:06:51 pm »

I remember it very well. John Knott was an incompetent!
Yes,soincompetent,he got a knighthood!

How I laughed and laughed when Robin Day interviewed him shortly after the Falklands and the uptight git stormed out of the interview live on air. Day only mentioned tohimabout being a 'here today, gone tomorrow' politician!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2006, 10:08:22 pm »

Paul, this is serious stuff - the fate of the Nation depends upon it! Without a proper navy the Country may be invaded and our wives and children carried off into slavery... Remember Nelson!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2006, 10:36:39 pm »

Yessir! I stand corrected.  ;)

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2006, 05:37:10 am »

Paul,

Sorry mate have to disagree with you, as if the pollies get rid of the Navy, we will have no more new models of R N ships...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.